Every AIDA64 Extreme version after 5.99 causes BSoD on Asus P4B533

Buhntz

Hello Fiery,

Every AIDA64 version after v5.99 (so starting with v6.00) triggers a BSoD on my ancient Asus P4B533 once I navigate to Computer -> Sensor or when try to launch the System Stability Test. Conversely, there is never a BSoD and zero sensor issues after uninstalling any of the newer versions and reverting to AIDA64 v5.99.4900. I have never experienced any BSoD with any AIDA64 version prior to v6.00, I have not made any hardware or driver changes to this old PC in many years, and no other software causes a BSoD.

I suspect there was a sensor-related code change in the transition from 5.99 to v6.00 that is not compatible with one of the drivers in my computer. I didn't keep track of the "Technical Information" in the blue screens with each new version 6 AIDA64 release to see if it always the same, but when I installed 6.30.5500 just today to see if the issue by chance has been fixed (it hasn't), the specific error is STOP: 0x00000116, apparently caused by driver atikmpag.sys. My video card is a HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ AGP running Catalyst 12.4 AGP hotfix for 8 or so years as nothing newer is available.

Again, reverting to AIDA64 v5.99.4900 100% takes care of this issue, never a BSoD and the sensor values display without issue.

Any idea what is causing this and which AIDA64 setting I could try to change to see if the BSoD problem goes away?

Thank you.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:53 PM, Buhntz said:

Hello Fiery,

Every AIDA64 version after v5.99 (so starting with v6.00) triggers a BSoD on my ancient Asus P4B533 once I navigate to Computer -> Sensor or when try to launch the System Stability Test. Conversely, there is never a BSoD and zero sensor issues after uninstalling any of the newer versions and reverting to AIDA64 v5.99.4900. I have never experienced any BSoD with any AIDA64 version prior to v6.00, I have not made any hardware or driver changes to this old PC in many years, and no other software causes a BSoD.

I suspect there was a sensor-related code change in the transition from 5.99 to v6.00 that is not compatible with one of the drivers in my computer. I didn't keep track of the "Technical Information" in the blue screens with each new version 6 AIDA64 release to see if it always the same, but when I installed 6.30.5500 just today to see if the issue by chance has been fixed (it hasn't), the specific error is STOP: 0x00000116, apparently caused by driver atikmpag.sys. My video card is a HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ AGP running Catalyst 12.4 AGP hotfix for 8 or so years as nothing newer is available.

Again, reverting to AIDA64 v5.99.4900 100% takes care of this issue, never a BSoD and the sensor values display without issue.

Any idea what is causing this and which AIDA64 setting I could try to change to see if the BSoD problem goes away?

Thank you.

The issue must be one of the Catalyst video driver interfaces that we started using between v5.99 and v6.00 at one point.  Please let me know the operating system you use (and whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit OS) and we'll build a similar configuration and check the Catalyst 12.4 + HD4670 combo to find out what exact video driver call we should avoid there.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, Buhntz said:

Windows 7 32-bit.

Thank you.

We've tested it with Catalyst 12.4 WHQL + Windows 7 32-bit + HD4670, and it worked flawlessly for us.  Have you tried to re-install your video driver and update the motherboard BIOS?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Fiery.

I just installed the latest v6.32 to see if it makes a difference - same blue screen while detecting sensors. My P4B533 is running the final BIOS 1015.003 dated 2003(!), and I completely uninstalled and re-installed Catalyst 12.4 AGP hotfix but no change.

Something in the sensor-related code in teh transition from AIDA 5 to 6 caused an incompatibility with my particular ancient AGP motherboard/configuration. No version prior to 6.00 and no other piece of software that I recall ever caused blue screens on this machine since I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 back in 2013, while every new AIDA version after 5.99 now causes a crash during sensor detection.

Did you perform your test with an AGP or PCIE HD4670 model? I already tried toggling various stability preferences that I figured could be relevant (SMBus access through ACPI, GPU fan speed, waking up GPU, etc.), can you think of anything else I could try or any logs that could assist pinpoint the reason for the reliable blue screen behavior?