fixed: AIDA64 makes ThinkPad crash

nfsking2

We've completely revamped the ThinkPad EC sensor module of AIDA64. The new module will only use direct EC register readout when Lenovo Power Manager is not installed on the system. When it is installed, AIDA64 will only use high-level ACPI queries to avoid conflicts with the Power Manager application.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.co...22gwrm8td6xfzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works. This new version may help about the issue described in the topic's opening post as well.

Thanks again Fiery.

While I haven't seen any warnings or errors in Event Viewer, I have lost two items from both my OSD and logs.

Below is a screen shot containing the stats logs for builds 1917 & 1922. On build 1917 I have marked in bold font the items that are now missing from build 1922. I am using the same ini file.

FYI While waiting for build 1922, I have updated Lenovo Power Manager as well as my system BIOS to the most current versions.

Regards,

Frank

post-2603-0-17137500-1335163202_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately not all values can be monitored using ACPI queries. The rest of the values have been renamed to have generic labels (like Temperature #1), since the old labels (like GPU, Battery, etc) were based on guesses, and not facts or specs. Please make sure to check the Computer / Sensor page for the list of all available values. I think the "GPU" temperature will be there, but now labelled as "Temperature #3".

I've been using GPU Diode for GPU temperature, that didn't change and is still available in build 1922.

With regard to the two missing items I marked in bold font.....

1 - I don't really care about the first item (GPU °C) because GPU Diode will suffice. Yes?/No? I only mentioned it because I noticed it missing in build 1922.

2 - My real concern is with the second item (CPU Fan Speed), which I need, but it seems to have disappeared completely.

The only Cooling Fan listed on the Computer / Sensor page is GPU (see screenshot below), which isn't much use to me because a) it always seems to read a static value of 30% (unlike the fluctuating RPM value the CPU Fan Speed reported in previous builds), and B) because there is no GPU Fan per se in this ThinkPad. IOW The CPU fan cools both the CPU and the GPU to the best of my knowledge.

Is it no longer possible to monitor CPU Fan Speed, as I did with previous builds, because of the work done to eliminate the Windows error events?

Regards,

Frank

post-2603-0-67447200-1335176412_thumb.jpg

Is it no longer possible to monitor CPU Fan Speed, as I did with previous builds, because of the work done to eliminate the Windows error events?

Exactly. You can either have the Power Manager uninstalled, and use direct EC register readout (which would bring back the CPU fan RPM value); or you can use it as is now, with no CPU fan reading. Theoretically, the CPU fan reading should be available even with ACPI queries, but it seems it doesn't work with your system for some reason.

If you like to do experiments, then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> ACPI Tool. In there push the Find button, and enter:

HSPD

If it finds a HSPD entry, then double-click on it to see if it works and returns a fan RPM value. Let me know how it goes ;) If it works, then please push the Save DSDT button, and attach the resulting binary file to your forum post. We'll then diagnose the issue to further tune the new ThinkPad EC module.

When I double clicked HSPD I got the dialog shown in the screenshot.

Thank you. We'll improve on the ThinkPad EC support in the next AIDA64 beta release. It will be out in a few days. I'll drop a message into this topic once the new beta is available for download. Good news is, on your notebook the CPU fan speed RPM reading will be available even in ACPI query mode ;)

Tried it again for 6 hours with the same good results. This is a keeper :-)

Sounds great, thank you!

Is it safe to assume that the fixes you made in this BETA version will be in the next stable release of AIDA64 Extreme Edition ?

Yes, that's how things work about AIDA64 ;)

• 2 years later...