Sensor Panel Questions - Why do I have double the number of CPU Utilization as Cores? Why Is my memory clock speed half?

3lj

Hi All

I suspect these are very basic questions, but any help would be appreciated

1) I have a 6 core processor, I can se that I have CPU Core #1-#6 under clock speed, but under CPU Utilization, I have the numbers 1-12? Double the amount?

Why do I have double the amount?

2) I have a 3600Mhz RAM, but it's display half that value, only 1800Mhz for Memory Clock? 

Why is this half the amount? Can I "double" it for display purposes?

Thank you

On 7/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, 3lj said:

Hi All

1) I have a 6 core processor, I can se that I have CPU Core #1-#6 under clock speed, but under CPU Utilization, I have the numbers 1-12? Double the amount?

2) I have a 3600Mhz RAM, but it's display half that value, only 1800Mhz for Memory Clock? 

Thank you

Hi 3lj,

As for your item #1, the reason you you have twice as many "CPU Utilization" entries as you have Cores... your processor is likely  Hyper-Threaded. That means that each core appears to to operating system as two logical processors each that can be scheduled separately. 

If you would like to know more about HT, may I suggest the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

As far as the memory clock, I would take a look in your BIOS and see if there are memory settings you can tweak to take advantage of the faster memory. It may be auto configuring to this lesser value.

FYI

-A 

On 7/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, 3lj said:

Hi All

Thank you

The memory clock is always half of what's advertised because because it's Double Data Rate (DDR) to go to and from you CPU. They can advertise this doubled speed because of the double data rate.

Some software may "correct" for this, task manager for example. I don't know if Aida 64 has this option