AIDA64 compatibility Issues with EVGA Vid Cards

ghot

AIDA64 Extreme v 2.70.2200

Geforce 296.10 WHQL Driver

EVGA Precision v 2.1.0.0

Game: Diablo II

SYSTEM:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Processor (stock)

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard ( 1302 BIOS)

EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz RAM (factory settings)

SATA WD 300GB Velociraptor - SATA II

WD 1TB Caviar Black FALS - SATA II

WD 1TB Caviar Black FAEX - SATA III

LG GH22LS30 CD/DVD Burner

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad EPS12V

ViewSonic G90FB Black 19" CRT Monitor @ 85Hz Refresh Rate 1280x1024

Generic Harman Kardon (3)

Logitech Optical M-BT96a

Coolermaster ATCS 840 Full Tower Case

3x230mm, 1x120mm, Optional: 3x Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler

SteelSeries 6GV2 Keyboard

PROBLEM:

I seem to be having a compatibility issue with AIDA64 Extreme and either my EVGA GTX 580 or EVGA Precision (which I use ONLY to set the Vid Card fan speed at 70%). With both EVGA Precision and AIDA64 Extreme running, I am experiencing, artifacting and the occassional blue screen when playing Diablo 2, for 30 mins to a half hour. Restarting the comp will eliminate the problem for a time.

I have the latest motherboard BIOS, and newer versions or either the Nvidia driver or of EVGA Precision don't fix the issue.

This is the "Stability Settings" in AIDA currently.

TRMuo.jpg

Unfortunately, I need BOTH...AIDA and EVGA Precision running. Nothing is overclocked, and when I do overclock, it's only the CPU.

These are the things I wish to monitor with AIDA's OSD:

nQdPP.jpg

Any help would be appreciated and any further info needed will be provided. Thx in advance.

ghot, if you are using the EVGA Precision to only control fan speed, you actually do not need to use that application. Since you have an nvidia card, use the nvidia system tools to manage your fan speeds. Using Precision and aida64 together can cause issues (as with using other overclocking/hardware management tools in conjunction with aida64).

http://www.nvidia.co....08-driver.html

With the nvidia system tools fan speed management, you can set a global policy or per basis policy for your fan speed.

Does the game still have artifacting if you do not have aida64 running while playing diablo 2? If the answer is yes, then the problem is more than likely your video card itself.

Does this artifacting happen when playing any other 3d games? If so, then that also indicates an issue with your video card. Possibly poor contact with the gpu and the gpu cooling device, or possibly a video card bios issue, or even maybe corrupt drivers.

Have you checked the system voltages with aida64 to ensure that your PSU is delivering the required power? Not enough volts or amp can be problematic to system stability.

And one other thing, have you tried newer versions of the graphics driver?

Ok, I intend to try Nvidia Sytem Tools, as soon as I find out HOW to use it.

The artifacting has gone since I reverted back, again to the 296.10 drivers and the 2.1 version of EVGA Presicision, however, last niight after 2-3 days of no issues...I simply alt+tabbed out of D2 and got a black screen...reboot cleared that.

I don't have any other games installed, nor do I own any, "newer" games.

The PSU voltages NEVER vary, and are well within 1% of the proper values. This is NOT one of the newer PC Power & Cooling PSU's (before the were sold to OCZ). in fact I have two of these 750w PSU's and one has been running in my other comp for 8 years and the one in this comp has been running flawlessly for almost 4 years.

Yes, with AIDA64 uninstalled the problems do NOT occur.

I've been using AIDA64 ever since it was Lavalys Everest.

As to the vid card itself it, has already been RMA'd once about 6 months ago...same issue. However, EVGA has changed theiir warranty policy, in that, even though this card has a lifetime warranty, they now only replace it with a refurburbished version...which ofc, I have no way of knowing what HAD been done to the refurbished replacement, before it was sent to me.

I do NOT believe AIDA64 is at fault. In fact I am beginning to believe that it is infact a corrupt BIOS Flash or a corrupt BIOS chip and have contacted ASUS about this and must wait 48 hours to here if the replacement request for a new BIOS chip is approved.

The only thing II am sure of, is that in that last 2-3 years, Nvidia, EVGA, ASUS and Microsoft are not working together on issues like these, like they used to in the past...everyone blames the other company.

I've seen a lot of these driiver has failed and recovered issuess in the last 6 months to a year, on various hardware and software tech support forums.

On my previous system, about 6 months ago, after an ASUS BIOS flash, the same problems started ocurring and were solved ONLY when they sent me a new BIOS chip.

I realize, that all this points to the video card, however when I RMA'd iit and found that they will NOW only send refurbished ones, I complained that this was not the way to do things, so the 3rd tier tech support manager, ran a 24 hour stress test on the card he sent and pronounced it, flawlessly working.

As to Nvidia system tools, this is news to me at least....and I have a couple questions. Do I install both the stem tools and the system monitor, or where exactly IS the fan speed control able to be adjusted...in the tool itself or in the Nvidia Control panel ?

I also intend to call Nvidia and ask them, but of all the companies involved, they seem to have the least able tech support, at least at 1st tier and seem to be more concerned with their Tegra line and their server parts these days.

So currently, I'm down to the BIOS chip and the Nvidia sytem tools as solutions.

I will post back when/if I find the solution that works.

UPDATE:

Ok switched to Nvidia system tools...set fan speed (works) set it to run at boot (works). Now we wait to see if I get a black screen or screen just goes into unrecoverable stanby, all by itself.

It may take an hour or 3 days...it's was totally intermittant, running AIDA64 Ext, and any version of EVGA Precisson, which has been totally uninstalled.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy that nVidia System Tools worked for you, but nVidia recommends using one of the 3rd party tuning programs for anything beyond the GTX 5xx series. nVidia System Tools has been moved to the legacy support category by nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html#source=gss

That means that there will be no further updates to the product, so it is possible that it may not work properly with future video card driver updates.