ASRock 990FX Professional CPU_FAN1 and 2 not captured.

johnhc

On your motherboard CPU Fan1 and CPU Fan2 headers are muxed together, and connected to a single sensor chip register.  Due to the way the mux is implemented (which is not very clever) AIDA64 cannot properly handle the mux.  Hence you can only monitor one of those fan headers, but not both.  If you connect your fan to another of the rest of the 4 fan headers, you won't have such issues.

Regards,

Fiery

Then please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump.  Copy-paste the full results into this topic. Please also indicate in your post which fans are connected and spinning.

Thanks,

Fiery

Fiery, I have attached the requested dump and a screen shot of the Sensor page.  You can see I have the three chassis fan headers in use.  You will also see a Pump #1 and Fan #1.  These are available via a USB connection from the Antec CPU cooler.  I do not monitor these in AIDA64 since Antec provides an application to monitor them and change some settings.  When I open the Antec application (ChillControl), AIDA64 looses access to these two values.  Since the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN1, it shows up also in the BIOS HW monitor.  Thanks and please let me know if you need other information.  Enjoy, John.

post-282-0-57195000-1359484588_thumb.jpgisasensordump.txt

Thank you.  Since the sensor chip's fan register corresponding to the muxed CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 headers indicates an invalid RPM reading, I suppose your motherboard by default would monitor CPU_FAN2 instead of CPU_FAN1.  Try to connect your fan to CPU_FAN2, and check if it appears in AIDA64 that way.

As for Antec water cooling systems, unfortunately the way ChillControl software is designed, it's not possible to monitor the water cooling system from two or more different software :(  In other words, the access to the water cooling device is exclusive: either ChillControl accesses it, or AIDA64, but they cannot access it simultaneously.

Fiery, the additional fan is plugged into CPU_FAN2 and was when the screen shot was taken.  It does not show up.  Using the HW monitor in the BIOS, I can see both CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 with valid values.  CPU_FAN1 is the CPU fan and is about 670 RPM, CPU_FAN2 is the additional chassis fan and is about 2100 RPM.  Both of these agree with I think they should be.

I am not concerned with the AIDA64 interaction with ChillControl.  I only mentioned it thinking it may have some relevance to my inability to see the additional fan plugged into CPU_FAN2.

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Yes, Fiery!  Very interesting.  In F-Stream both fans show and a fan called CPU shows in AIDA64 after closing F-Stream.  The RPM tells me it is CPU_FAN2.  I have never installed F-Stream due to my bad experience with AMD Overdrive on a previous machine.  The machine is running stock and seems plenty fast for me, so  no OCing.  Thanks so much for your help!  Enjoy, John.

Then please try to do the following:

1) Restart your system, and make sure F-Stream is not auto-started when Windows loads up.

2) Start AIDA64, check if both CPU fans are missing from the Sensor page

3) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> System Debug --> PCI Dump.  Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

4) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> System Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

5) Close AIDA64

6) Start F-Stream, check if both CPU fans are properly measured

7) Close F-Stream

8) Start AIDA64, check if any of the CPU fans is properly measured on the Sensor page

9) Repeat steps 3 and 4

Based on those dumps, we may be able to figure out how to set the mux into a state that allows you to at least monitor one of the CPU fans.

Thanks,
Fiery

Fiery, I will run your experiment if you like, but first I need to report that the current fan display is not correct after running F-Stream.  Attached is an ISA Sensor Dump and a screen shot of the Sensor page.  The fan labeled CPU seems to be the top fan which is plugged into the CHA_FAN2 and the fan I have labeled Top (in OSD) ... well I got lost trying to tell what fan is what on the OSD, but several are mixed up.  It appears that opening F-Stream has confused AIDA64.  I am beginning to wonder if this is really necessary to ask you to pursue this for one fan RPM.  I got a notice yesterday that a new version of AIDA64 was available but my license had expired.  I usually buy a new one when I make major changes to my system and need new support.  Please let me know what you would like me to do.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

post-282-0-04381600-1359560995_thumb.jpg

isasensordump2.txt

Thanks for the dump.  If you would like us to improve AIDA64 to better support your motherboard, then please run the test for us.  Even if you don't upgrade to a newer AIDA64 release now, you may do that in the future, and by then you would have an AIDA64 release that has better support for your current hardware.  Of course by then you may have an even newer hardware, but that's another issue :) :)

I've also sent you a private message.

Fiery, I am happy to help with this if you are willing.  Hopefully all ASRock 990FX users can benefit.  Right now I need to make an accurate map of what fan is wired to what header.  This will require me to power down and study but right now I need to get some other things done.  I restarted my machine (did not power down) and did not run F-Steam and found the fan labeled CPU is gone but the chassis fan display still seems to be at odds with what I expect - thus the need for a mapping.  Please let me know what I should do after my mapping.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Clearing up fan mapping is another case, and the 4 dump files requested above may also help to clear that up too.  But if you could send a screen shot (after the 9-step test) that shows AIDA64 Sensor page and all F-Stream fan RPM readings side-by-side on a single screen shot, that would be very helpful as well.

Fiery:

1. OK - power up with no F-Stream

2. AIDA starts on boot, both CPU_FAN1 and 2 are missing.

3. OK

4. OK (I found ISA Sensor Dump under Sensor Debug not System Debug)

5. OK

6. Both CPU_FAN1 and 2 appeared after several seconds, readings look good after a second or two

7. OK

8. One named CPU (2011 RPM), looks like CPU_FAN2

9. OK

All four dumps plus the fan map are attached.  I 7-Zipped the folder containing the five files then changed the file type to txt so I could attach it.  Please change the file type back to 7z and extract it.

Thanks and enjoy, John.

ForFiery.txt

Thank you for the test.  It seems this mux is a bit tougher to crack than we anticipated :(  If it's possible, please do one more test for us:

1) Restart your system, and make sure F-Stream is not auto-started when Windows loads up.

2) Start AIDA64, check if both CPU fans are missing from the Sensor page

3) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> Super I/O Dump.  Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

4) Close AIDA64

5) Start F-Stream, check if both CPU fans are properly measured

6) Close F-Stream

7) Start AIDA64, check if any of the CPU fans is properly measured on the Sensor page

8) Repeat step 3

Thanks,
Fiery

Thank you.  We believe we've managed to find a way to initalize the fan mux on your motherboard.  Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild2306gchywsm6nkzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks, Fiery.  I have DLed the Beta version zip file.  It is a bunch of files and a folder.  Should I just copy these over the top of the files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\FinalWire\AIDA64 Extreme Edition"?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Yes.  Let it overwrite any existing files.