Unstable power supply unit

LarryF

When I run Aida64 Extreme v2.8, after a while the system reboots and the Asus Sabertooth z77 bios says, "asus anti-surge detected an unstable power supply unit on last start up." I have replaced the mother board, power supply unit, ram, hard drive, video card, case, pure sine wave UPS, and re installed from installation disk Win 7. I am running Intel i7 3770k at stock with Corsair H60 water cooler. Can Aida64 be triggering a "false" positive to the mother board about unstable psu? I have same problem with Asus p8z77-v Pro mother board.

• Like 2

I spoke too soon. I ran Aida64 overnight. After 5 hours the system crashed. The bios screen had the following message: "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit! Press F1 to run setup." This is without Asus AiSuite II installed.

I installed a new Asus Sabertooth z77 motherboard, a new Corsair AX860 power supply, new RAM, new SSD, new UPS, and new computer case. I was getting the same error with my previous Asus p8z77-v Pro motherboard.

Any ideas?

I guess it means your motherboards cannot stand AIDA64 System Stability Test -- which is an extremely demanding task, but all computers (theoretically) should be able to stand it and run it without issues. The test apparently raises a false alarm or some other sort of electrical warning that your BIOS misreports as a PSU surge.  I guess if in all other tasks your computer is 100% stable, you just need to avoid running the AIDA64 System Stability Test.

• 2 weeks later...

That message sounds like it came from a windows application, even if though it was displayed in the boottime script.  So something from ASUS still seems to be running. 

Could be part of chiset driver installation and should be there, but I have found that ASUS optional s/w like  AI suite, pc probe, etc. do not unistall completly with normal unnistall.  Drivers, autoruns, etc along with many registry entries can remain.   Look in program files9x86) to see what's in ASUS folder   Or just search C: drive for ":ASUS."  

The ASUS\AASP\x.xx.xx folder that includes aacenter.exe and asloader.exe should be there.  Part of power management. 

Look for other folders under ASUS for apps. .

If you find some remnants, something like Revo Uninstaller will do a more complete uninstall job if you don't want to try manually.  There is a free trail version.  It can uninstall programs not shown in the programs list by windows..

Read the instructions.