fixed: Area graphs causing high CPU usage

Adrian5800
Go to solution Solved by Fiery,

Hi,

I noticed high CPU usage on my sensor panel and after some debugging I have found out that graphs, particularly *area* graphs, are an issue. 6 area graphs use 50% of one core on a 5800x3d, elevate cpu temps by 6c and use an extra 10w of power. I have switched to line graphs for the time being as this improves the situation, though I think it still uses 25% of one core.

I notice when the graph starts drawing the cpu utilisation is low, as more is drawn it increases. So it looks like updating the render buffer is slow.

Are there any plans to have an option of using the graphics card instead of the cpu for the rendering? or improving graph rendering speed?

Thanks

• Solution
On 9/9/2023 at 2:58 PM, Adrian5800 said:

Hi,

I noticed high CPU usage on my sensor panel and after some debugging I have found out that graphs, particularly *area* graphs, are an issue. 6 area graphs use 50% of one core on a 5800x3d, elevate cpu temps by 6c and use an extra 10w of power. I have switched to line graphs for the time being as this improves the situation, though I think it still uses 25% of one core.

I notice when the graph starts drawing the cpu utilisation is low, as more is drawn it increases. So it looks like updating the render buffer is slow.

Are there any plans to have an option of using the graphics card instead of the cpu for the rendering? or improving graph rendering speed?

Thanks

We've optimized graph rendering in the latest AIDA64 beta update:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

Let me know how it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Fiery changed the title to fixed: Area graphs causing high CPU usage
  • 1 month later...

I'm having same issue as well. It really got better, but still I think it is something that needs fixing. For now I can't use Area Graphs, because it causes CPU to boost. I hope it is possible to handover this CPU work to GPU, that would be amazing!

Here is illustration, at the beginning I'm using Area Graph, ant later I switch to Histogram. Appears that Histogram is cheaper on CPU, as it drops from unstable 100% 1 core usage, to 20-30% usage as you can see. While Area Graphs looks way better, and I got only one, it uses way too much of CPU.

image.png.ac28175611d2510cad5ef64bbf1c9087.png

Also I noticed that while using Area Graph, the whole UI for AIDA64 is lagging a lot. I was testing this with latest beta (2023-10-26 build).

Edited by adomas
Added a screenshot and more details

• 1 month later...