CPU Temp Wrong - Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Mobo (Dual CPU)

sonixax

Hi ,

My CPU temp is showing at 123 degrees whilst my core temps are showing at around 33-37 at idle. I've tried this with the latest BETA and still getting the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sensor report attached, let me know if you need more.

My Hardware :

MoBo : Asus Z9PED8-WS

CPU : 2x Xeon e5 Socket 2012 2620

Thanks a lot

Sensors Report.htm

post-9538-0-01351500-1363742919_thumb.jpg

1) Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump.  Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

2) Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> SMBus Dump (Full). Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

3) If it's possible, make a screen shot or photo of the PC Health Status (or HW Monitor) page of the BIOS Setup, showing all temperature, voltage and fan speed readings.  It would be a great help for us to have those reading as a reference, so we can calibrate AIDA64 sensor readings accordingly.

Thanks,

Fiery

• Like 1

Thank you, you've got quite a special board :)  We cannot find most of the sensor readings in either dumps so far.  Please also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> Embedded Controller Dump.  Copy-paste the full results into this topic.  We hope that dump will help to move forward about this issue.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I think the reason why we cannot find the sensor readings is that your motherboard has an IPMI BMC chip, and the sensor readings are only available via IPMI Sensor calls.  Problem is: via direct IPMI KCS interface AIDA64 doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the BMC chip.  Do you have an IPMI driver installed?  If not, can you please try to install one?  Maybe with the IPMI driver installed, you would be able to see the IPMI Sensor readings on the Computer / IPMI page.

• Like 1

Hi ,

Dear Fiery

as I know , There is no IPMI -BMC chip installed on Asus Z9PED8-WS ! (http://www.servethehome.com/asus-z9ped8-ws/)

You can find my MoBo Specifications here : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/#specifications

and i know some of drivers are not installed correctly on my System . because i have not Windows 8 64Bit drivers disk for my MoBo , and i will get it tommorow :D

Thank you for the info.  Then I'm afraid we can't do much, unless Asus reveals the method of reading sensor registers out.  We've tried every methods known to us, but none of them matches this very interesting motherboard :(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you.  I think the reason why we cannot find the sensor readings is that your motherboard has an IPMI BMC chip, and the sensor readings are only available via IPMI Sensor calls.  Problem is: via direct IPMI KCS interface AIDA64 doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the BMC chip.  Do you have an IPMI driver installed?  If not, can you please try to install one?  Maybe with the IPMI driver installed, you would be able to see the IPMI Sensor readings on the Computer / IPMI page.

I also have a problem with Z9PE-D8 WS mobo in that fan speeds cannot be accessed. I have been reading this thread. I installed the IPMI driver from the "Enterprise driver CD" but still cannot get fan speeds to display. Don't know if this helps your "IPMI Driver" theory or not.  My embedded ctlr dump repoort report looks the same as Sonixax's dump: mostly "blanks" or "FFFFF"  etc....

If I contact ASUS Tech Support directly, what exactly should I ask them regarding this enbedded controller or IPMI Sensor issues?

ALSO: How do I add a .jpg photo attachment to the post? I need the dialog sequence; the HELP instructions are challenging; they tell you what buttons/heading to click, but never on what panel or where to find these options. Spent 40 minutes seaching for uploading attachments.

post-12533-0-11507800-1370468748_thumb.jpg

Please note that when you install an IPMI driver, the sensor readings should appear on the Computer / IPMI page in AIDA64.

If you ask a technical person at Asus, please try to find out what methods are necessary to perform to read fan speeds (RPM) on your motherboard from a 3rd party software.  As far as we can tell, none of the known methods apply to your motherboard, so it's quite a special piece of kit ;)  Usually there are 5 different ways to acquire sensor readings:

1) ISA port I/O

2) SMBus

3) Embedded Controller

4) IPMI Sensor

5) ACPI query

Some motherboards use just a single method, while on others one needs to combine multiple methods to read all sensor readings.  If Asus tech.support could tell us which method to use, and which registers belong to the fan speeds, then we can implement that in AIDA64 to let you measure fan speeds in AIDA64.  However, based on our previous experiences with Asus, I doubt they would reveal their "cards" about this or any other Asus motherboards :(  Asus tends to use proprietary methods about sensors, and they almost never publish any technical details on what they do and how they do it.

..... at Asus, please try to find out what methods are necessary to perform to read fan speeds (RPM) on your motherboard from a 3rd party software.... 

.... tell us which method to use, and which registers belong to the fan speeds, then we can implement that in AIDA64 to let you measure fan speeds in AIDA64.  .... Asus tends to use proprietary methods about sensors, and they almost never publish any technical details on what they do and how they do it.

I am going to do my best to encourage ASUS to disclose the magic they are using. And I'll pass it to you ASAP. I expect it will be tedious working my way up the chain of command at ASUS, to find the right guy willing to share the methods.

I am going to do my best to encourage ASUS to disclose the magic they are using. And I'll pass it to you ASAP. I expect it will be tedious working my way up the chain of command at ASUS, to find the right guy willing to share the methods.

Thank you, let's hope you can do magic to get Asus reveal their magic ;)