missing gpu temps in crossfire

madnugget

Hi, I have 2 amd 7870's in crossfire and I am unable to see the temp for the second card while both are in crossfire mode.  I can see all sensor information on the card while they are not in crossfire, but once in crossfire I can only see the primary cards sensor information, the information on the secondary card I can not see.

Your system seems to have ULPS feature of Catalyst drivers enabled.  When ULPS is active, polling non-primary GPUs may cause a system lockup or BSoD.  Hence AIDA64 cannot show GPU details when ULPS is active.

You can disable ULPS by setting all occurences of EnableUlps to 0 (zero) in the Registry, and restart Windows.  Please keep in mind that you need to do that again everytime after updating Catalyst.

Regards,

Fiery

Oh yes, I seem to remember this issue a while back.  However, programs like GPU-Z and catalysts own hardware monitor can poll the temps while in crossfire with out having to mess with ULPS.  Once the card wakes up however, aida64 sill doesn't look at the temps, at least the desktop gadget doesn't see them.  Or do they just wake up the card first to do this? Also, is ULPS related to PCI express link state power savings?  I mean, would changing the link state also change the ULPS power setting?

What GPU-Z does it quite dangerous, ie. to poll both GPUs when ULPS is active.  AIDA64 tries to stay on the safe side.

Catalyst is quite different, since it can do things internally (between Catalyst Control Center and the video driver) that other software can't.

is ULPS related to PCI express link state power savings?  I mean, would changing the link state also change the ULPS power setting?

No, it's a completely different technology.  ULPS is developed by AMD, while PCI Express link state power savings is a generic technology developed by PCI-SIG, the group behind the PCI and PCI Express specifications.

Ahhh... that would explain why GPU-Z will crash my system sometimes when I try looking at the sensor info for both cards.  I asked about the link state because that has solved some of my issues with pci express cards and their stability, just fyi.