AIDA64 - really 64-bit?

ChiefZeke

I downloaded the executable and installed it in XP Pro w/SP3 and everything checked out just fine.

When I booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2 and ran the executable I expected it to opt to install in \Program Files rather than \Program Files (x86).

I bring this up because it is my understanding 32-bit programs, when installed from within the 64-bit OS, go to \Program Files (x86) and 64-bit programs go to \Program Files.

So, given that the name is AIDA64 is it really a 64-bit program or just named that to confuse everyone? Or am I missing something in how 32-bit and/or 64-bit programs are installed under Windows 64-bit versions? :(

AIDA64 includes both a 32bit and a 64bit engine.

Even when running the benchmarks they are both included and the engine is automatically selected according to the operating system

During installation, it doesn't matter where AIDA64 is installed.

I'm install both 32bit and 64bit in a parent folder and only after that I divide into the various sub-areas.

AIDA64 is named that way, because the performance-oriented modules (the benchmarks and the System Stability Test) are ported to native 64-bit (x86-64), and it also has a 64-bit kernel driver to perform low-level hardware access. AIDA64 benefits from 64-bit x86 extensions where the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit really matters. The main module, the application itself (AIDA64.EXE) is still 32-bit, but since the beauty of x86-64 capable processors is that they provide virtually no performance hit from running 32-bit applications under 64-bit operating systems, this is not really an issue or drawback. This way, compatibility with legacy (32-bit only) processors and legacy (32-bit) Windows installations is fully retained.

Regards,

Fiery

OK - that information is an answer. I'm assuming that somewhere down the line a real 64-bit version will be available.

In the meantime I have another question: I have a 1Tb drive divided into four pieces on one hardware system; #1 = XP pro w/SP3, #2 = XP Pro x64 w/SP2, #3 = Win7 32-bit, and #4 = Win7 64-bit.

As I did with Everest in the past, I installed AIDA64 in XP Pro w/SP3 and used a shorcut to it from the other three operating sytems. AIDA64 starts and runs just fine from from any one of the operating systems. My question is: does this method provide the best option to running and testing AIDA64 and validating the various operating systems and their functioning on the same hardware or would it provide better results to install AIDA64 separately in each OS? :huh:

We have (long-term) plans about a native 64-bit application, but it wouldn't be an AIDA64 update, but more like a brand new, separate software product.

As for the installation question: it wouldn't offer any advantage to install AIDA64 individually under each operating system, unless you consider the individual configuration an advantage. Since if you run it from a central location, you cannot configure it differently for e.g. XP SP3 than for Win7. If you install one AIDA64 copy for each OS, you can have different settings configured in AIDA64 Preferences for all OS.

BTW, in our test labs we don't install AIDA64 on each test system, but we run it straight from the network, from a central shader folder (using UNC path). AIDA64 is the most flexible and most portable diagnostic software in its class :huh: