Could conflict with Intel XTU cause errors?

Sylvester

I have recently begun testing a new build system more extensively, due to ongoing research into finding best settings for a motherboard BIOS.

I have encountered a situation where I had the system running stable with AIDAx64 extreme stress test, then installed Intel XTU which has the ability to adjust motherboard settings and after doing this AIDA began throwing up flags for hardware errors during testing which caused it to stop the tests, sometimes after an hour sometimes after ten minutes. These settings had passed 8 hours of memtest 86+ but I rolled it back anyway to default plus XMP and a slight underclock of 4x41 for turbo which should be rock steady but AIDAx64 continued to stop testing with hardware errors.

However with the same system settings OCCT runs fine for three hours without any errors at all and Intel XTU CPU stress test likewise is error free and (edit) completed and passed a 3 hours 5 mins run.

Is it possible that a conflict of some kind is causing an hardware error to trip in AIDAx64 when there is none? Intel XTU can access and adjust the mobo settings directly from the OS so I was thinking it may have all kinds of access and services and registry settings which maybe could conflict with AIDAx64. Does that sound possible?

OS Win 7x64 Ultimate

Gigabyte GA Z97MX Gaming 5 BIOS F4

32Gb  GSkill 2400 DDR3 @XMP

Intel I7 4790K

Seasonic SS-860 XP2

Gigabyte GTX770 OC

No, tweaking system settings and overclocking using XTU wouldn't cause an issue with AIDA64. Have you tried the latest AIDA64 beta?

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild3237vy9hqdrx7czip

Will it throw the same hardware errors?

BTW, generally speaking about the AIDA64 System Stability Test. Please note that it puts a more demanding workload on the PC than most other stress testing solutions. We've put great efforts in filling up all the processing pipelines, to keep all components of the CPU, memory and GPU busy all the time. So it's no surprise if issues about a certain "too optimistic" overclock setting is only revealed using the AIDA64 System Stability Test ;)

Regards,

Fiery

Thanks for the link, I have been testing the beta and it appears to be stable at default settings with XMP and turbo restriicted to 41x (normally 42x4 and 44x1) having successfully completed a 5 hour test.

I am currently trying to underclock and undervolt to reduce temperatures in a HTPC mATX case, but the principles are the same as overclocking and now the stability of both PC and AIDAx64 are confirmed I can test the lowest stable voltage. Thanks for your help.  :)