Troubleshooting a freezing problem

Bellzemos

Hi!

I have had AIDA64 for time now and I think it could be useful for troubleshooting a Firefox freezing problem that I have. I would like to use AIDA64 to monitor my computer in real time so that after the freeze I could go back and be able to see what (process, service, hardware...) is causing the problem. I think that the problem is software related but am not sure.

The problem itself: I am experiencing a weird problem, for about half a year now. I've tried troubleshooting it but to no avail - it really seems random and it happens at least once a day, always when using Firefox, usually (in fact, I think it could be only) when opening a new tab with contents (website, whatever).

Event Viewer doesn't save any info on the matter. I have Windows 7 SP1 x64, latest Firefox, latest Avast AV, latest Sandboxie, latest Flash etc. This is happening on a Sony VAIO laptop, Intel Core i7, 6 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT 425M, 500 GB HDD.

So, what exactly is the problem that happens every day, sometimes a few times a day? When I'm using Firefox my whole screen freezes for about 10-20 seconds. The screen freezes up, Firefox and everything else, I'm only able to move the mouse cursor, keyboard freezes as well. I usually have music playing in the background (I use Winamp) and it keeps playing during the freeze, only the display is completely still.

A couple of times it happened so that the mouse froze as well. At those rare occasions the music stopped playing too and when the PC got un-frozen I heard a loud BEEP. And then I could use it normally again and music starts from where it left off.

I would LOVE to come to the bottom of this problem as it's really really annoying. If anyone has ever experienced this kind of behaviour or has any idea about fixing it, please help.

So, how can I help myself with the AIDA64 to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanx!

To me it sounds like an overheating issue, due to dirty/blocked exhaust vent ports or some other reason.

Try to run AIDA64, go to main menu / Tools / System Stability Test. Enable every subtests (like CPU, FPU, etc), press the Start button. Wait for at least 30 minutes before stopping the test. Check if it causes the same freezes, and track the measured temperatures, as well as the bottom graph. On the bottom graph the throttling line should stay at 0% all the time. If it shows a non-zero value and turns to red, it means your computer is overheating. If temperatures climb up to high values (80+ Celsius) and your computer turns off or starts beeping, it is a serious overheating situation.

Regards,

Fiery

OK, do you mean that I should check for the same freezes during the test or after the test?

Yes, during the test. Most unstable computers freeze under heavy load more frequently than when you leave them at idle.

Do I have to leave the PC alone durning the test and do nothing? Or should I browse the web during the test?

It's up to you. If you do more things during the stress test, it may or may not increase the possibility of finding the issue.

Could the test damage my computer in any way?

If it has a faulty component that causes the freezing, but the component is not dead yet but only working unreliably, then a heavy stress test might cause the dying component to finally give in. But in case you have a perfectly fine computer with all reliable, working, faultless components, then the stress test will not damage the computer.