Memory Commit Limit double available RAM.

Pill

This anomaly has been present in AIDA for years. :P   Virtual Address Space is always twice the installed RAM, even with the pagefile disabled.

Never really bothered me but since I was already browsing the forums figured I'd point it out.

Keep up the good work. :)

post-2542-0-82707500-1437456899.png

post-2542-0-82707500-1437456899_thumb.png

We've explained it a number of times already on this forum ;) Those values are reported by Windows, via standard Win32 API calls. In case the numbers incorrect or inaccurate, it's only the fault of the Windows kernel, and not AIDA64.

BTW, even when you disable pagefile, Windows will still manage a swap space. It's one of the dirty tricks of Windows, and I'm not even sure why is that or why is it useful for Windows to do that.

Regards,

Fiery

We've explained it a number of times already on this forum ;) Those values are reported by Windows, via standard Win32 API calls. In case the numbers incorrect or inaccurate, it's only the fault of the Windows kernel, and not AIDA64.

Ah no I don't think the API is to blame as MSI Afterburner, Task Manager, Process Explorer and also RAM Map all report Virtual Address space correctly. 

You can see this in the screenshot I posted above where the PF is disabled. AIDA64 is the only app afaik which reports incorrectly.

BTW, even when you disable pagefile, Windows will still manage a swap space. It's one of the dirty tricks of Windows, and I'm not even sure why is that or why is it useful for Windows to do that.  Regards,

FieryYe

Windows doesn't manage swap space with the PF disabled, it manages Virtual Address Space. Swap Space is specifically the pagefile. 

With the pagefile disabled  total Address Space is limited to RAM installed.   

AIDA should be reporting the same as Task Manager above which shows a 7.8GB commit  limit.   That's 8GB installed RAM less 245MB hardware reserved  :)

Actually you almost have it right, all u need to do is rename Swap Space to Committed Memory then delete the Virtual Address Space  part which is incorrect.  

What is listed as "swap space" is actually Address Space/Commit Limit.  I have 8GB RAM + 2GB Page File so total available address space is about 10GB.

I tho I have the PF turned off...

post-2542-0-34867700-1437478079.png

post-2542-0-34867700-1437478079_thumb.png

@Pill:

You're right and AIDA64 is wrong, i've also reported this some years ago already.

@Fiery:

What AIDA64 gets wrong: it adds the pagefile to the physical memory and calls it "Swap Space". And then it sums physical memory and "Swap Space" and calls it "Virtual Memory".

Pill is correct, rename "Swap Space" to "Commited Memory" (or even "Virtual Memory") and remove the now-current "Virtual Memory" completely. Physical memory + PF = Virtual Memory, there's nothing more to add there.

What AIDA64 gets wrong: it adds the pagefile to the physical memory and calls it "Swap Space".

No, it doesn't add those values up. It simply reports committed memory as swap space, that's all.

In order to avoid further confusion, in the next AIDA64 beta we will remove the Virtual Memory section and rename Swap Space to Virtual Memory.

No, it doesn't add those values up. It simply reports committed memory as swap space, that's all.

In order to avoid further confusion, in the next AIDA64 beta we will remove the Virtual Memory section and rename Swap Space to Virtual Memory.

Thanks but there is no confusion here.  The 15GB of Virtual Memory reported by AIDA simply doesn't exist, 

If I have 8GB of RAM installed and no pagefile it means my total available Address Space is  8GB. It also means I have a Commit Limit of 8GB. There is no more memory anywhere..

Add an 8GB pagefile to the 8GB of i RAM and we get a total of 16GB Virtual Address space, made up of 8GB RAM and 8GB of Virtual Memory. Virtual Memory is the pagefile . Virtual Address Space is everything available to Windows

This screenshot with Process Explorer might  help clear things up.

So if AIDA isn't doubling up the numbers I don't where they come from. I'm not  sure what Swap Space refers to in AIDA since SwapSpace is another name for the Pagefile which I do not have.

Anyway cheers for fixing it... :)

post-2542-0-74715200-1438219245_thumb.png