A Change in AIDA versions (Asus P6X58D Premium)

djmorgan

I have an older ASUS X58 Motherboard and monitor the system using AIDA sensor panel I am finding that any AIDA version later than 5.30.3500 is causing a loss of focus with 2 sensors namely Chassis #2 and CPU.

The loss of focus normally occurs on first boot where the reading from the two sensor is not present, a restart of AIDA will rectify this issues, however the problem will also appear at a random period during the computer being on.

I can supply debug info if required, sadly at this time I can't use any version above 5.30.350 I have tried all versions (beta) and the problem exists with all of them and see no need to replace the mobo because of monitoring software.

David

2015-09-06.sensorpanel

The items in the sensor panel are still there however show no values, if I load the Sensor Panel Manager and select say CPU for modification I see that the CPU sensor is no longer associated with that gauge, and I must select it again from the list of sensors

I think it could be because your motherboard has intermittent issues to report those 2 fan speed reading properly, or due to a collision between AI Suite and AIDA64. We keep fine-tuning the SensorPanel and LCD to better handle stopped fans, and also hot-plugged devices like external HDDs, but no matter how we improve it, we cannot fix an issue where the sensor readings cannot be reliably detected.

I think it could be because your motherboard has intermittent issues to report those 2 fan speed reading properly, or due to a collision between AI Suite and AIDA64. We keep fine-tuning the SensorPanel and LCD to better handle stopped fans, and also hot-plugged devices like external HDDs, but no matter how we improve it, we cannot fix an issue where the sensor readings cannot be reliably detected.

I have used AIDA for many many years I can understand what you wrote, but not understand why all version up to and including 5.30.3500 have worked without any issue and then after 3500 problems! to blame the mobo is really lame! I sit right next to my box I can assure you I would hear if fans and especially the water pump had issues.

I have even ran the system without loading AI Suite and experienced the same issue, so we can rule that out too! but that's okay I have a good system and no need to upgrade for some time, I'll just not renew my subscription.

David

No, I'm not blaming your motherboard at all. I'm saying something "could be". I'm listing potential issues that may cause such problems. And with previous versions you may not have noticed the fan reporting "bumps" simply because AIDA64 may have showed the previous value that it cached, instead of removing the reading when the sensor chip fails to provide it for a moment or for a longer period of time.

And BTW, I didn't say and I still don't say that the fans or pumps have stopped working. Not at all. What I'm saying is that the sensor chip may fail to measure the fan RPMs or fail to provide the right values to AIDA64. Even if the fans are spinning, their speed may or may not be properly measured by the sensor chip, we've seen many examples of such malfunctions. For example, our Kraken X41 water cooler simply doesn't like some of the fans we hook up to it. And even though it provides the power to make the fans spin, and the fans are indeed spinning and never stop, the water cooler cannot measure the fan RPM most of the time. It's a whole different story to drive a fan, and another issue is to measure its RPM. Measured RPM can drop to 0 or become an unrealistically high value (like 50000 RPM) even when the fan is spinning at e.g. 2000 RPM all the time.

Now, coming back to the actual issue that you're experiencing :) I think it would be important to rule out AI Suite, if possible. But please note that AI Suite has background services that keep polling the sensor chip, even if you close the main application, and even after you've uninstalled the whole software. Yes, it's odd, but that's how it works. So even after uninstalling AI Suite, it would be important to get rid of all its background services and see if it helps.

Another useful test could be to have the old AIDA64 running for a longer period of time, and then checking how the fans that with the newer AIDA64 versions disappear from your SensorPanel behave. Maybe they do not disappeear with the old AIDA64 version, but their values never move after some time? Maybe you just think AIDA64 reports the correct values, because they look right, but the values simply do not move? Still, I'm only guessing, I'm trying to come up with ideas, I'm not saying it's the case, I never saw your system running ;)

Okay, when I removed AI I did stop all ASUS services and for a period of a full day, the fans ran higher than I liked but I wanted to fault find as best I could. Further I can run AI Suite at the same time as AIDA which I am presently doing and both software packages report identical readings.

With versions from 3500 onward the 2 sensors we are referring to show nil value when they stop, if I then open Sensor Panel Manager and say click on 'modify' CPU it is not highlighted in the list like all the other sensors are, so I have to select it again.

My sensor panel is normally running 16 hours a day and both sensor are constantly adjusting as they operate to keep the temperature within limits. I have also altered update frequencies to stop the loss presently the sensor panel is at 3000 ms

Now I am a person that will focus on logic to solve a problem, I have worked in the IT industry for many years, If one version of your product works but another doesn't and that is the only change in the system then I must assume you have changed the code in a way the has altered the product.

David

EDIT: now running 3600 but have moved update frequency back to 5,000ms this seems to be more stable will advise if not successful.

EDIT 2: No! after one reboot AIDA loaded with 0 readings in the 2 sensors gone back to 3500

post-73-0-39733200-1444345306_thumb.jpg