HP ENVY Phoenix 850-065se

SJMarty

I just purchased two HP ENVY Phoenix 850-065se desktops along with two copies of AIDA64 Extreme.

AIDA64 Extreme is not discovering all of the sensors and fans.  For example, these are liquid cooled (from the factory) and AIDA64 is not detecting the fan for that.  There also is no case temperature sensor being detected.  Is there a process to get new hardware added to the AIDA64 discovery database?

Here is the link to the hardware and config specs on HP's site...http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04741533

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> SMBus Dump (Full). Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Thanks,

Fiery

Thank you. Your system seems to be equipped with a proprietary sensor chip or Embedded Controller chip that is currently not supported by AIDA64. Quite frankly, we don't even know the name of the chip, since it doesn't appear at any of the place where try to find such a chip :( Do you have any software that can show you the readings you miss from AIDA64?

• 2 weeks later...

Every other program I have tried has been a bust.  AIDA64 Extreme seemed the most promising.  Since we were not able to get the data you needed, can you tell me what kind of information I should request from HP?  I'm not sure how far I'll get with HP but I'd like to at least try.  I have some details on the motherboard and BIOS but I'm not sure what you need. 

Thank you for trying to contact HP. What we would need is: technical documentation or proper programming guidelines on how to handle the Embedded Controller chip in order to read out temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. Even a very limited, very focused set of information would be a great help.

Just to explain our situation with a bit more details... There's a big difference between mobile systems (notebooks, laptops, tablets) and classic desktop computers (desktop PCs). With desktop PCs temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are usually measured by a sensor chip that is integrated to the motherboard. Such sensor chips are usually manufactured by either Fintek, ITE or Winbond/Nuvoton. Handling those sensor chips are quite easy, since they are well documented, they follow industry standards, and there aren't tons of variations of them. Contrary to that, mobile systems are usually equipped with Embedded Controllers that are reprogrammable to suit the vendor's (in your case: HP) needs. So even by having documentation on the chip itself wouldn't help at all to figure things out. Embedded Controllers can work very differently even across models of the same computer brand, and there's no industry standard way of handling them. The only good thing about them is that some computer vendors (namely Apple, Asus, Dell, and Sony) came up with their own standards, so with such mobile computers reading sensor information out is almost as easy as with desktop computers. But the rest of the mobile world is a big pain, and in most cases we can only figure out how to read sensor values from the Embedded Controller if we can gain access to a physical system for a few days at least.

And even though your system is a desktop PC, it looks and acts like a mobile system: it's not equipped with a sensor chip, but an Embedded Controller of some sorts. So it falls under the same "painful" category as mobile computers about this issue...

Would a picture of the motherboard help?

Only such a picture where all chips can be identified. So it would have to be a high-resolution + high-quality picture, which is hard to capture when the motherboard is already built into a PC chassis. But, if you could find chips on your motherboard that can be EC (Embedded Controller) or sensor chips, that would be great. If could be a tough job though, and if you find an EC -- which I think you would --, it would still be of little help considering the issue that I've explained above. There's a slim chance you could find a classic sensor chip as well as an EC, and in such case we might be able to solve it without the assistance of HP. But, we've seen thousands of different motherboard sensor chip solutions, and yours doesn't look anything like any of those, so I don't think there's a sensor chip there afterall, but only an EC. I really wouldn't want you to go through all the chips you can find on your motherboard to try and find an EC or sensor chip, but if you have plenty of time, a good eye-sight, and you'd like to contribute in an attempt to solve this issue, then we would of course appreciate your help on this.

• 2 weeks later...

I took 17 pictures of the system board.  I had to leave the water cooler lines attached but I removed as many components and wiring as I could.  The pictures are not all that great but maybe they can help some.  I sent you a PM with the link to the .ZIP file.

I will also post in the thread on the HP forums asking for an update.

Thanks for all of your help and willingness to work with HP.  You're right...they are a monstrosity.  :blink:

Thanks a lot! The pictures confirmed my theory about your motherboard having an EC chip. It's an ITE IT8528E. The motherboard is labelled as "IPM99-VK" which means it was manufactured by Pegatron. Sadly I cannot seem to find a sensor chip on the motherboard PCB, so even though those information are interesting, we cannot step further without HP helping us out.

Well, sad to say, the HP forum "volunteer" made it clear he is a volunteer and told me to contact HP support.

Re: HP ENVY Phoenix Fan, Temperature, and Voltage Monitoring

Unless you have a contact at HP, I think I've gone as far as I can go.  Last month, trying to wade through HP support just to get a noisy fan replaced under warranty was a nightmare.  I wouldn't even know where to start to try and get the information you need.  :unsure:

Some older HP Envy series (based on Quanta ODM design) used to have fan speed at EC [0xB2-0xB3], [0xD2-0xD3] (FAN_FEEDLo / FAN_FEEDHi).

Not sure if that might apply here, but it's rather unlikely as the above models were notebooks using ENE ECs.

An Embedded Controller dump (with known high and low fan speeds) might shed some light... And maybe a DSDT dump too...

Some older HP Envy series (based on Quanta ODM design) used to have fan speed at EC [0xB2-0xB3], [0xD2-0xD3] (FAN_FEEDLo / FAN_FEEDHi).

Not sure if that might apply here, but it's rather unlikely as the above models were notebooks using ENE ECs.

An Embedded Controller dump (with known high and low fan speeds) might shed some light... And maybe a DSDT dump too...

We've checked all those, but without a luck so far :( The registers you've mentioned are all zero :(

Well, sad to say, the HP forum "volunteer" made it clear he is a volunteer and told me to contact HP support.

Re: HP ENVY Phoenix Fan, Temperature, and Voltage Monitoring

Unless you have a contact at HP, I think I've gone as far as I can go.  Last month, trying to wade through HP support just to get a noisy fan replaced under warranty was a nightmare.  I wouldn't even know where to start to try and get the information you need.  :unsure:

Do you know approx. at what RPM your fans are spinning while your computer is not under heavy load (e.g. when you're using AIDA64 or browsing the web), and how many fans are spinning?

There is one fan on the GPU (NVIDIA GTX 960) that AIDA64 detects.  It runs around 1300 RPM.

The other fan is for the radiator.  It runs between 800-1000 RPM.

The only other fan in the computer is the one inside the power supply.