Weird issue with HDD temperatures

ANUBIS

Hi, i have experienced some peculiar behaviour regarding to HDD temperature monitoring. Few days ago i reinstalled my operating system (Windows 7 64bit - clean install) And i had to reinstall all my software as well. I copied over Aida64 ini file from backup i made before reinstalling my os. Now two of my five hard disks are not showing temperature anymore. I discovered that when i enable RAID SMART support under Stability options, then all temps are showing again. But i do not have any disks in RAID configuration and before reinstalling Windows i did not have to enable this option. (Aida64 is the same version as before)

So i figured that i had some drivers or stuff before that made those disks temperatures visible to Aida64, my question is: what can it possible be that is eqivalent to enabling RAID SMART support ? (for example - HD Tune Pro can see my HDD temps fine)

One disk that has issue is WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0, second is TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 

Weirdest of all is that i have two of these exact TOSHIBAs and second one is ok. (Other than this temperature showing problem, all my disks are working nomally and showing all other parameters correctly)

(Motherboard is Asus Sabertooth Z77)

I'm not sure this is Aida64 bug, because i did not change anything in Aida64 (it was working ok before reinstalling Windows) - unless Aida64 lacks certain capabilities that were covered by some other software or drivers before. I brought this issue out hoping that someone can understand this and get some clarity.

Without RAID SMART support enabled, AIDA64 can only read temperatures from those drives that appear as regular IDE-compatible drives in Windows. With RAID SMART support enabled, any special cases are also supported.

You can leave RAID SMART support enabled if you don't experience any stability or performance issues that way. It's not harmful to have it enabled. There's an option to let you disable it only because in some rare cases RAID SMART support can make a SATA driver throw a BSoD. But you would have noticed that already if your system suffered from such an issue ;)

Ok, thanks. I currently have this option enabled. (had one BSoD yesterday, but not after that. So i hope that was not related.) Can this issue be related to different SATA outlets on motherboard ? If so, then i would know that some motherboard drivers may not be working correctly. (or motherboard is dying)

No, it's only related to the driver that a particular SATA controller uses. Drivers can differ between Windows installations, and even a newer driver of the same kind (e.g. Intel RST) can bring substantial changes.

As for the BSoD: when a SATA driver gets confused about the drive interrogation commands that AIDA64 sends, the BSoD comes up at AIDA64 startup, while the AIDA64 splash screen says "Scanning RAID Devices" or "Scanning SMART Devices".

Hmm... i used updated drivers indeed. <_< Thank you - this was helpful. I guess i have to downgrade my motherboard drivers, because few other things are acting weird too (just discovered that some games that previously worked make computer reset now (GPU drivers are same as before))

So - newer drivers are not always better.

Yep, confirmed: after i uninstalled Asmedia SATA Controller drivers, (and any other storage drivers) that are newest on Asus support page for my motherboard, and let windows find drivers for my HDDs, i can now untick "enable RAID SMART support" and all my temperatures are still showing.

-Just for information if anyone encounters something similar.- :)