Xeon E5-1650 v4 core speeds (Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1)

gbohn

Hi;

I'm trying to determine what core speeds I'm getting from my cpu (E5 1650 v4) under Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm very confused by the different values I see in different locations (I'm thinking I just don't fully understand what gets reported when/where).

My understanding is that this CPU has a base frequency of 3600 MHz, with a Maximum frequency of 4000 MHz (according to the Intel ARK page).

Are the AIDA64 Motherboard/CPU and Computer/Summary pages 'static' in the sense of just reporting the CPU type, or dynamic in the sense of showing what the CPU is currently up to?

The Motherboard/CPU and 'Computer/summary' reports the CPU as a 'Hexacore Intel Xeon, 3800 MHz (38 x 100)'. If this is just a 'static' informational display, should that really be 4000 Mhz? Or is this what is currently being used?

Running under light load, I can see that CPU-Z reports a core frequency of 3796 MHz or so (for at least some part of the CPU). If I start Prime 95, then CPU-Z reports a speed drop to 3500 MHz or so (But I thought the minimum frequency was 3600 Mhz?...).

But in AIDA 64 the two above pages report the same values as was shown under light load.

Does AIDA64 have the ability to show what frequencies are currently being used? I have the 'Intel Turbo Boost Max technology 3.0' utility installed, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks;

AIDA-1.jpg

AIDA-2.jpg

CPUZ-faster.jpg

CPU-loaded.jpg

1 hour ago, gbohn said:

Are the AIDA64 Motherboard/CPU and Computer/Summary pages 'static' in the sense of just reporting the CPU type, or dynamic in the sense of showing what the CPU is currently up to?

Those pages show static information, which was detected or measured at the time you start AIDA64.  The CPU core frequency displayed there are influenced by both Turbo Boost and the power management (power-saving) features of your CPU, namely SpeedStep and C1E (Enhanced Halt State).

Dynamic clock measurement is available on the Computer / Overclock page, and the AIDA64 CPUID Panel (main menu / Tools / AIDA64 CPUID).

I'm not sure what CPU-Z is doing. Please note that it's not our software, so we don't have a full understanding on what it does or what bugs it might have about clock measurement ;)

Thanks.

I looked at the AIDA64 CPUID page, and I see something similar. Aside from the core voltage reporting bug, I see that here too my reported core frequency (apparently for all the cores that I tried) drops below the 'base frequency' under heavy load. At light load I see around 3800 Mhz, but under heavy load I see about 3500 MHz.

Would this be the expected results for a '3600 Mhz' base frequency? (I was thinking that the base frequency would be maintained under load)

This happens right after increasing the load, and the reported CPU package temp is 62 C (with the highest individual core temp at least 4 C lower), so I assumed that this wasn't hot enough to cause an issue.

Thanks.

AIDA64-load.jpg

> I'm not sure why the CPU drops to 3.50 GHz...

For what it's worth, I found a program named 'Throttlestop' which has a display panel that is supposed to display the reason for a CPU throttle.

On my system, when throttling to 35x, it indicates 'Core P1' as the reason.

I'm not entirely sure what that is, but at first blush this seems as thought it might be different than the overall power limit. The BIOS has the 'Long duration' and 'short duration' power limits set to 'Auto', but they might be for a different limit.

Any idea what a Xeon 'Core P1' throttle indicates?

Thanks;

13 hours ago, gbohn said:

> I'm not sure why the CPU drops to 3.50 GHz...

For what it's worth, I found a program named 'Throttlestop' which has a display panel that is supposed to display the reason for a CPU throttle.

On my system, when throttling to 35x, it indicates 'Core P1' as the reason.

I'm not entirely sure what that is, but at first blush this seems as thought it might be different than the overall power limit. The BIOS has the 'Long duration' and 'short duration' power limits set to 'Auto', but they might be for a different limit.

Any idea what a Xeon 'Core P1' throttle indicates?

Thanks

I don't know, I'm sorry :(