Asus Z270 Mark 1 temperature readings

ANUBIS

Hi !

Recently i upgraded my system  - new motherboard, CPU, RAM and M.2 SSD

After the upgrade I noticed few things:

1.) No more VRM 1 and VRM 2 temperatures - Where are they ?

2.) New temperature readings: "PCI-E #1", "PCI-E #2", "Temperature #1" and "Temperature #2"   What are these ?

3.) My M.2 SSD (Corsair MP500 120GB) temperature reads 63-65 degrees celsius. Is that normal ?

1) AFAIK your motherboard cannot measure VRM1 or VRM2 temperature.

2) PCI-E #1 and PCI-E #2 should be located around the PCI-E slots of your motherboard, but only Asus knows where exactly they placed the diodes corresponding to those readings.  Temperature #1 is the temperature reading Asus calls "VCORE".  Temperature #2 is the temperature reading Asus calls "VCORE (Back)".

3) We've noticed the same anomaly about our MP500 SSD. We've checked, and it seems to be due to a firmware issue that Corsair has to fix. Make sure to ask Corsair Support about this.

Regards,
Fiery

1 hour ago, ANUBIS said:

Thanks for quick answer.

So the M.2 temperature is an anomaly - does this mean that the temperature really is not that high ?

No, the temperature is really that high. MP500 runs very hot even at idle. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure Corsair knows about it.

Yeah, i searched for firmware update but only thing that is available to download for this particular SSD, is Corsair Toolbox - and there is absolutely nothing that this toolbox can do for this drive. No Trim, no firmware update, not even S.M.A.R.T. information - uninstalled that useless program. So i guess i just have to wait and hope that my SSD wont burn.

By the way - there is info on their website that says about this SSD: "Operating Temperature: 0°C to +65°C"  - Could not figure out what they mean by this: is this the temperature of the environment, where this SSD can work or is this the allowed internal temperature of the SSD ?  Their support is very slow.......:mellow:

5 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Yeah, i searched for firmware update but only thing that is available to download for this particular SSD, is Corsair Toolbox - and there is absolutely nothing that this toolbox can do for this drive. No Trim, no firmware update, not even S.M.A.R.T. information - uninstalled that useless program. So i guess i just have to wait and hope that my SSD wont burn.

By the way - there is info on their website that says about this SSD: "Operating Temperature: 0°C to +65°C"  - Could not figure out what they mean by this: is this the temperature of the environment, where this SSD can work or is this the allowed internal temperature of the SSD ?  Their support is very slow.......:mellow:

I suppose Corsair's own SSD software doesn't support NVMe drives yet. Hopefully in a few weeks they can get that done, along with a new firmware for the MP500 family.

As for the operating temperature, I suppose they mean ambient temperature there. If not, and it's actually the operating temperature range of the MP500, then the drive may be working out of spec under heavy stress/load... According to our test runs, the MP500 heats up to 70+ Celsius when there's a heavy flow of outgoing data (ie. copying a lot of large files to the drive).

6 hours ago, ANUBIS said:

Do you maybe know, what is the temperature that will certainly fry any SSD ?

Once I've had a SSD heating up over 100 Celsius, and that killed it. Not immmediately, but shortly it just died.  I'd definitely get Corsair's take on the subject.  If they fail to respond in a few days, then I'd get a refund and look elsewhere.

9 hours ago, ANUBIS said:

Thanks ! I will grill them more specifically about this. <_<

May I ask what did you do to get SSD to 100 degrees ? (so I can avoid such actions)

Well... It was a very stupid mistake. I was lazy to properly assemble a PC, and left the SSD on top of a HDD. I thought after installing the OS and drivers, I'll remove the HDD and install the SSD in its drive bay. The two device heating themselves up ended up in a disaster, even though it was only for a few hours...

Oh, sorry i was too vague - i meant SMART status for each disk under LCD and OSD items. Like a bar or something.

For now i can add just one SMART status on LCD but that does not indicate which disk is that. (for example - i have 6 disks)

And is there any way to check the SMART status of the M.2 SSD ?

1 hour ago, ANUBIS said:

Oh, sorry i was too vague - i meant SMART status for each disk under LCD and OSD items. Like a bar or something.

For now i can add just one SMART status on LCD but that does not indicate which disk is that. (for example - i have 6 disks)

And is there any way to check the SMART status of the M.2 SSD ?

IMHO having a single status is fine. If any of the disks fail, the status will show "FAIL", and then you can dig deeper by navigating to the mentioned Storage / SMART page.

Yes, the SMART status should be available fro M.2 SSDs and NVMe SSDs as well.  However, please note that not all SSD controllers are supported, so your particular SSD may need further adjustments/tweaking.

Ok, i hope that one day i can see my M.2 status too.

One more thing i forgot to mention -  my RAM temperature reading is fluctuating sometimes. It shows different degrees: 216, 124, 43, N/A, 149, 34, 114, N/A, 3, 51, and so on ... It can happen in less than a minute, reading changes every two seconds sometimes.  And sometimes it is stable for hours. I tried to disable Corsair Link, but that did not make any difference. I checked with a thermal camera and temperature seemed to be ok, it's the reading that is not ok. I do not overclock, but i use XMP profile.

(RAM is Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3466 MHz)

58 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Ok, i hope that one day i can see my M.2 status too.

One more thing i forgot to mention -  my RAM temperature reading is fluctuating sometimes. It shows different degrees: 216, 124, 43, N/A, 149, 34, 114, N/A, 3, 51, and so on ... It can happen in less than a minute, reading changes every two seconds sometimes.  And sometimes it is stable for hours. I tried to disable Corsair Link, but that did not make any difference. I checked with a thermal camera and temperature seemed to be ok, it's the reading that is not ok. I do not overclock, but i use XMP profile.

(RAM is Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3466 MHz)

There could be 2 reasons behind that. Either your RAM modules fail to provide a stable and accurate reading sometimes; or there's a SMBus access collision between another software and AIDA64.  Do you have any other software installed that may also poll the SMBus?

12 minutes ago, ANUBIS said:

Yes, i do have another software that can do this  - it is Corsair Link, that controls this RAMs LED lights, but as i mentioned, even after closing Corsair Link, anomalous readings continued.

Are you sure Corsair Link software has no background service that would keep monitoring your RAM modules and control their LEDs, even when the main application is closed?  We've seen such issues with several other software, the prime example is of course Asus AI Suite :)

Yep - it was Asus AI Suite 3. After i disabled it from startup, RAM temperature reading seemed to stabilize.

In the past there were no such problems with AI Suite's older version. (AI Suite II)

I replaced motherboard and now i am using newer AI Suite as well - can it be that it is using resources differently than previous versions ? Or is it the motherboard ?

Old motherboard was Asus Sabertooth Z77 (with Ai Suite II),  new motherboard is Asus Z270 Mark 1 (with Ai Suite III).  So there must be some weird difference that makes reading RAM temperature difficult. Can this be resolved by changing the way Aida64 pulls this information from this kind of board, or is it advisable to not use AI suite ?

AIDA64 uses standard SMBus SPD commands to communicate with DIMM thermal sensors. There's no alternative way I'm afraid.

And we sadly have absolutely no insight into how AI Suite works exactly about SMBus communication, and what and how Asus updated on the way it interacts with SMBus devices between AI Suite II and AI Suite 3 releases. Your new motherboard may simply have a SMBus based devices that AI Suite 3 now polls, and your old motherboard had no such device, so AI Suite II needed not to use its SMBus layer at all.