AIDA64 is damaging my HDD? (ST5000DM000-1FK178)

Zapious

So, I love adia64  :lol:  and have been using it for many years, however

I have recently discovered it is the cause of the... how should I put it,

loud, constant "clicking" or "drive read" noise. Here is the situation:

Aida64 is set to start with windows (10 single language).

(use it mostly for hardware monitoring)

Sensor panel loads and stays active.

It's a secondary HDD and makes no noise until I watch a

video on that drive (over a hour) and sometime during the watching,

you can hear the head buzzing/clicking LOUDLY aprox every 10 seconds.

(Which lead me to check aida64 since I knew it polled every 10 seconds.)

I shut down the video, restart the computer, still got the noise. A complete

shutdown (power off) and restart will stop the noise until I use the drive again

(with aida64 running.) The only close comment I could find on google was for

a program called hw monitor (I believe) and the post complained of "Hard drive hammering"

from the temp polling of the hard drive.

I really like aida64 and don't want to quit using it, but not at the expense of my

5TD internal drive.:(

Any suggestions?

Aida64 Sensor Panel.jpg

It seems to be a firmware issue of the hard disk drive in question.  We may need to completely disable SMART readout for your HDD using the current firmware version.  What is the full model ID and revision (firmware) ID of your HDD?  Do you experience similar issues while running HWMonitor?  Are you using a HDD monitoring software like HD Sentinel?

Hi Fiery, Thanks for the quick response :D

I will post the HDD info (report by Aida64 of course)

I don't run any other monitoring software. I run a lean machine. Haven't even seen HW monitor in 10+ years, I think lol and don't even know what HD Sentinel is :unsure:

You may notice I have another,  almost identical 5 TB (no issues). I recently checked it's info... it's list is much smaller.

I recently read there may have been some issues with this drive being used as a internal, which I am doing but without issues. (pulled it out of a enclosure) but, it made those noises when it was used in a enclosure as well, I thought it was normal for a external. The other 5 TB drive I bought aprox 6 months later. (also removed from a enclosure) Much different firmware version. Also, it's called a "Barracuda" which the problem drive lists as.. oh, now I can't find it :angry: not "barracuda" anyways.

Let me know if there is anymore info I can provide! and thanks so much for the help. :)

PS: No firmware update available.

HDD01.jpg

HDD02.jpg

HDD03.jpg

Smart.jpg

On 7/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, Fiery said:

Thank you.  We will disable SMART readout for your HDD in the next AIDA64 beta update due later this week.  I'll drop a message into this topic once the new beta build is available for download.

The mentioned new AIDA64 beta update is available for download at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Please let us know how it works on your system.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the effort you put in :) I downloaded the new software just hours after you posted it. Seems to be working fine now. Although I wouldn't say that removing or disabling a feature is "Fixing" it, <_< however, I understand that the firmware issues is outside your software. I could have, (and did for a while) just disable all hard drive polling. Your solution gave me "some" hard drive readings back. I don't want to seem difficult, but my MAIN purpose for this software is to monitor sensors. This is a brand new build and I need to be able to see that all is running within my specs. Thanks again, but my solution was to purchase another HDD (4TB sale/cheap ) and use the problem (5TB) as a external backup. SO , I am still using your software and loving it! :D

3 hours ago, Zapious said:

Thanks so much for the effort you put in :) I downloaded the new software just hours after you posted it. Seems to be working fine now. Although I wouldn't say that removing or disabling a feature is "Fixing" it, <_< however, I understand that the firmware issues is outside your software. I could have, (and did for a while) just disable all hard drive polling. Your solution gave me "some" hard drive readings back. I don't want to seem difficult, but my MAIN purpose for this software is to monitor sensors. This is a brand new build and I need to be able to see that all is running within my specs. Thanks again, but my solution was to purchase another HDD (4TB sale/cheap ) and use the problem (5TB) as a external backup. SO , I am still using your software and loving it! :D

Thank you for your feedback. Quite frankly, I would have done the same, ie. to sack the HDD with the "weird" working firmware and use a different HDD model instead.