samsung panel freezes

philhu

Someone else reported freezing osd panel, i didnt want to muddy his post

I have a samsung panel.  It runs, but usually hangs after 12 hours or so.  I usually can fix it if I turn the panel off, wait 5 seconds, turn it on, it asks if i want monitor mode, i click yes, it comes back to life within 10 seconds. 

It is just a pain to do this almost every morning or when I get from work.

I did what you told him, computer>sensors.  While hung they still show and update just fine.

Anything that can cause this?

AFAIK Samsung SPF devices tend to overheat after long use and constant frame updates.  That may well be the cause behind the freezes on your device.  Try to improve the cooling of your picture frame, it should help.

didnt help  - failed after 4 hours, powere down/up reset and resarts it.  How do I cool it down?  Doesnt seem to be running hot.

Some way to lowere recycle stress, less updates, etc?  I would mind setting it to one update every 3-5 seconds.

22 hours ago, philhu said:

didnt help  - failed after 4 hours, powere down/up reset and resarts it.  How do I cool it down?  Doesnt seem to be running hot.

Some way to lowere recycle stress, less updates, etc?  I would mind setting it to one update every 3-5 seconds.

Quite frankly, I don't know how to cool it further.  Probably by cutting the hottest part of the back of the chassis would help, but it's quite a drastic procedure to accomplish.

As for lowering the stress, a less frequent update would definitely help to ease the tension on the USB controller chip of the picture frame.

ok, a few things

I actually got the back openned, there is nothing hot in there, same problems.

I do think that there might be too much i/o to the usb controller.  How can I lower the refresh or maybe even slow the i/o rate to the usb controller?  Maybe allow a configurable way to delay N milliseconds between i/o data  to the chip?

update.  I set the time between updates from 5000ms to 10000ms (10 sec), which is fine, since mine scrolls 3 pages with 8 sec between pages.

It has now run flawlessly for 24+ hours.  It used to stop after about 7 hours.

One interesting thing is that when windows suspends, my samsung shows me a cpu use screen, with my hexcore all at 0% except one running at 10%.  Then upon wakeup, it skips one page and then resumes without losing anything!!!

On ‎2017‎. ‎07‎. ‎25‎. at 2:38 AM, philhu said:

ok, a few things

I actually got the back openned, there is nothing hot in there, same problems.

I do think that there might be too much i/o to the usb controller.  How can I lower the refresh or maybe even slow the i/o rate to the usb controller?  Maybe allow a configurable way to delay N milliseconds between i/o data  to the chip?

We can do that, but I don't think it would help :(  The only thing that helps -- and your case confirms this -- is to increase the update rate to several seconds (from 1 sec or sub-1 sec).