Memory LATENCY: Before and after [STEAM]

Hi there! I just opened this support ticket @STEAM and I thought about also sharing the issue with you guys. Maybe I'm lucky enough and someone can help me figure this out.

THE TICKET:

I've noticed something rather strange, and I've been wondering what could be causing this for a time now.

*After opening the Steam client in my PC, I'm seeing an increase in memory latency reports. From both AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark, and also, Intel memory latency checker.

*Difference can be 2/3/4ns. 

i.e: Before opening Steam Client, 68ns. After opening Steam Client, 71ns.

*Funny thing is: This increase continues to exist even AFTER CLOSING the Steam Client. All it takes, is opening the Steam client only once. And once it is open, then it doesn't matter if I close the client or leave it be.

*The only thing that will solve this behavior is restarting the computer.

I've tried:

*Force closing the Steam Client and process from the task manager, and it doesn't work. Latency remains higher than normal.

*Restarting Windows Explorer process from the task manager and it doesn't work. Latency remains higher than normal.

*Signing out from my user and signing in with another user and it doesn't work. Latency remains higher than normal.

*Removing my CPU and RAM overclock and returning to default settings actually gives me worse results. Difference in latency can be up to 5/6ns.

*Changing BIOS settings, updating the BIOS, makes no difference whatsoever in this behavior.

*Even formatting Windows and using another drive, makes no difference whatsoever in this behavior.

Again: The only thing that will return memory latency reports to normal values (after opening the Steam Client) is restarting the computer. Nothing else I've tried will revert this behavior once the Steam Client has been opened.

My computer:

Asus Crosshair 6 Hero
Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8Ghz
4x8Gb Samsung B die (Single Rank) @ 3333mhz CL14
Asus GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe

Everything is rock solid stable. Nothing weird is going on. System is smooth. Temps are fine. Stress tests were passed. Everything is fine.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I can reproduce this all day long. And I also can reproduce this behavior with latency being higher than normal after opening steam, with another Ryzen PC.

So... Something is definitely going on here. My wild guess is that Steam is running some background process that I'm not aware of, even AFTER being closed.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Please excuse my English if you find any mistakes.

Cheers from Argentina!

cachememBEFOREsteam.png

cachememAFTERsteam.png

My guess would be the same: Steam must start a background process or service that constantly consumes a few CPU cycles.  It would then leave that background process and service running after you closed the Steam Client.

Thank you for the reply @Fiery !

I will follow your advice and continue to investigate this issue. I know this is nothing to panic about, but now I'm just curious. :P

I'll build myself with patience and double-check every processes running within task manager, before and after opening Steam.

Maybe that will finally solve this mystery.

Thanks again.

14 hours ago, Ex0cet said:

Thank you for the reply @Fiery !

I will follow your advice and continue to investigate this issue. I know this is nothing to panic about, but now I'm just curious. :P

I'll build myself with patience and double-check every processes running within task manager, before and after opening Steam.

Maybe that will finally solve this mystery.

Thanks again.

You can also use the Operating System / Services page of AIDA64 to capture a state right after system restart, when the potential Stream service is not running.  And then check the same page after you suspect the service has started.  Comparing the state for each service could reveal the service installed, used and started by Steam ;)

Hi! Back again to share this:

Steam response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support and providing details on what you are seeing with the Latency when launching and exiting Steam.

I'm not sure why it is staying up like that after you have exited Steam. Please note that closing out of Steam goes beyond closing out the Steam UI window. If that is the way you were exiting it, I suggest trying to exit Steam by right-clicking it on the Taskbar and selecting "Exit Steam" or through the client UI by selecting Steam in the top-left corner and selecting Exit.

Just in case, I will forward this information on to the appropriate department for review.

Additionally, if you wish to share an opinion, suggestion, or idea with the community as well, please visit the Suggestions/Ideas section of the Steam Discussion forums.

This forum is regularly read by Valve's development team. 

Steam Support / Jr. Portal Cake Tester    
Vido

My response:

I would like to report back that after investigating a lot, I've found where this *added memory latency after opening steam*, was coming from. And also the "solution" to this issue.

Just to make it as clear as possible, the issue behaves as follows:

Fresh PC start> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency> Open Steam >AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 71/72ns memory latency> Force closing the Steam Client> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 71/72ns memory latency.

Nothing was returning memory latency to normal values after that. Except of course, restating the PC.

I found out that: *Unplugging the HTC Vive power cable was all I needed to do to return memory latency to normal values.*

Without the HTC Vive power cable plugged, memory latency reports as follows.

Fresh PC start> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency> Open Steam >AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 70ns memory latency> Force closing the Steam Client> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency.

Oddly enough, aparently Steam is running or activating some background process/service with the HTC Vive plugged in as usual. This is not only consuming a few more CPU Cycles that it normally would, but *also continues to do so even after force closing the Steam Client*. That's why memory latency does NOT return values in that conditions.

So, to sum it up:

*HTC Vive plugged in as usual.

Fresh PC start> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency
Open Steam> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 71/72ns memory latency
Force closing the Steam Client> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 71/72ns memory latency.

*HTC Vive power cable unplugged.

Fresh PC start> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency
Open Steam> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 70ns memory latency
Force closing the Steam Client> AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark> 68ns memory latency.

Why is this relevant you may ask? The answer is RYZEN.

Reducing memory latency is crucial with this platform, as it also impacts on how fast the CPU cores can communicate with each other through the "infinity fabric".

That's why a HIGHER MEMCLOCK and tight RAM timings yields such an impact on maximizing performance, particularly gaming-wise.

Anyhow, considering everything explained above, I humbly ask you guys take a closer look while trying to reproduce and test this issue/behavior. It would be awesome if the dev team could further optimize this, and possibly completely remove this issue, so we (Ryzen users) can take advantage of the reduced latency.

Thanks again.

I will close this Ticket after recieving a response.

Cheers from Argentina!

Thank you for your help @Fiery !