Detecting hardware (processing XML reports)

Jeppe

Hello.

Im working on a project where i from XML files, want to be able to drag out specific parts of the hardware in a computer. 

But ive ran into a problem when i want to pinpoint the Camera or bluetooth. 
Most of the other properties like CPU or Memory can be pinpointed to the Motherboard or DMI, but things like Camera and Bluetooth are just listed under Peripherals. Is there a way to make the report put all peripherals in different sub categories. 

So say i could tell my script to go to "Peripherals#1" and pick the component from that category? 

Best regards 

camerabluetooth.PNG

The problem with such devices is that it's not possible to pinpoint them based on a certain hardware type or property.  There's no such device that has "camera" type or "Bluetooth" type :(  There's a list of USB devices, and one of them may happen to be a camera -- but even its model ID may not have the word "camera" anywhere in it.

Would there be any way to make it so that each "USB Device" obtained a #number. 

So that each one was called "USB Device #1" and then "USB Device #2". 

This would be so that i could call to one of the numbers and always get the property from that number, regardles of it is a camera or a bluetooth module. 

37 minutes ago, Novius said:

Would there be any way to make it so that each "USB Device" obtained a #number. 

So that each one was called "USB Device #1" and then "USB Device #2". 

This would be so that i could call to one of the numbers and always get the property from that number, regardles of it is a camera or a bluetooth module. 

If you need to iterate through a list of USB devices anyway, I'm not sure why you need to have an index number included in the description, or how would it help.  Maybe you can elaborate on what you're doing?  It may be possible to alter the XML report layout in a way to make it more useful for you.

The project is about scanning for hardware information and then posting it to a page that can be used for (just an example) selling a product based on hardware. 
Its not easy to describe exactly what im trying to do. 

Alot of the other components in the computer, like the total amount of ram installed, or the name of the computer, can be targeted directly at say the Motherboard, and then sub section to Motherboard Properties, where the motherboard name can be found. 
The above applies to several other components aswell. 

By being able to pinpoint where the components are in the XML file, i can have a different script call to "Motherboard Name" and take the result from there, for example: ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390UA. 

The problem with the Camera / Bluetooth, in this case, is that if i follow the same logic for targeting a part, i would first target the "Summary" of the PC. Then under "Summary" i would tell my script to go to "Peripherals", and as it is currently i would have to make it call to "USB Device". Doing this could give me 5 different outputs, to the same field.

On ‎2017‎. ‎12‎. ‎08‎. at 2:29 PM, Novius said:

The project is about scanning for hardware information and then posting it to a page that can be used for (just an example) selling a product based on hardware. 
Its not easy to describe exactly what im trying to do. 

Alot of the other components in the computer, like the total amount of ram installed, or the name of the computer, can be targeted directly at say the Motherboard, and then sub section to Motherboard Properties, where the motherboard name can be found. 
The above applies to several other components aswell. 

By being able to pinpoint where the components are in the XML file, i can have a different script call to "Motherboard Name" and take the result from there, for example: ASUS ZenBook 3 UX390UA. 

The problem with the Camera / Bluetooth, in this case, is that if i follow the same logic for targeting a part, i would first target the "Summary" of the PC. Then under "Summary" i would tell my script to go to "Peripherals", and as it is currently i would have to make it call to "USB Device". Doing this could give me 5 different outputs, to the same field.

When it comes to processing an AIDA64 XML report file, it's much easier and quicker to go by the ID fields, and not trying to process the groups or field labels.  And when you get multiple matches for a certain ID (for example, that ID for USB devices is 537), you need to cycle through them in order to process the list of similar kind of hardware or software component.  That's just the way it is, that's how you process a XML file :)  We do have unique IDs assigned for unique kind of components, but when there are multiple components of the same kind, you cannot avoid going through a loop/cycle to enumerate them and process them in a way you need.

On ‎2017‎. ‎12‎. ‎13‎. at 1:31 PM, Novius said:

A follow up for the USB peripherals. 

Is it possible to get it to list the hardware ids related to the diferent USB devices? 

For that purpose I suppose you'd want to process either the Devices / Windows Devices or the Devices / USB Devices page of AIDA64.