Discovering bugs in Sailfish

"Jk"

I found 3 bugs and one incorrect information on xperia x (f5121) with sailfish:

•  Incorrect information: In system page platform points incorrect System on chip, Xperia x contains MSM8956 not MSM8952!

• First bug : Again in system page points weird values (like 200mb when no other apps running in background) for free memory section. When I launching some apps and that 200mb is in use then it shows more memory avaiable. So something is wrong in ram calculation.

•  Second bug: In system files page: when pressing Hosts, whole Aida64 app crashes, and it happens everytime. Rest of buttons works only this Hosts button crashes.

• Third and last bug: In thermals page there is two battery lines for no reason.

Do you need some logs about bugs?

I'm also sent you email about this bug reporting. No idea if some of these bugs not exist in other sailfish devices..

Hope you can fix these problems at least few of them. Anyways great app indeed, Thank you!

1) The Platform ID is read from the underlying Android subsystem, and it may or may not refer to the actual SoC of the device.  For Qualcomm SoCs the platform ID usually refers to a family of SoCs.  In your particular case Platform shows that your MSM8956 SoC belongs to the Qualcomm MSM8952 family of SoC's.

2) The system memory is managed by the underlying Linux kernel.  And the Linux kernel tends to "eat up" (in other words: fully utilize) the available system RAM for caching.  When a certain process is launched or a running process tries to allocate a portion of RAM, the kernel frees up some buffers to provide spare memory for the new allocation.  What you experience on your device is absolutely normal for a Linux kernel based system.

3) We cannot reproduce the bug on our own Sailfish OS based test devices (Jolla Phone, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet).  We'll reinforce the exception handling of the System Files page in a hope that it will fix the issue on your Xperia X device.

Thank you for submitting your report to us!

Okay thank you for your quick respond. Well in same situation now, I see around 1200MB free RAM available when I restarted phone.. Does linux really allocate/hide that free RAM, so I can't never know really how much I got free RAM?

So how about last bug: "In thermals page there is two battery lines for no reason"? That is clear bug, Maybeit showed up  only xperia x if you can't see it in other sailfish devices. Here is screenshot about it.

English isn't my native language so I got little bit problem to understand your whole explanation. And yeah these bugs are very minor but, better to report than let it be.

Do you have any plans to acquire xperia x for test device? That would help to reproduce bugs etc.

Näyttökuva_20180202_001.png

Linux kernel will allocate cache buffers during the bootup process.  So it's normal that most of the RAM is already taken (allocated) when the Sailfish OS boots up.

The two battery temperature readouts are because AIDA64 reads temperature measurements using 2 interfaces.  The first one is the thermal zones method, which provides a bunch of readings.  The list of readouts via that interface may or may not include the battery temperature.  So in order to assure that AIDA64 can measure the battery temperature specifically, it will use a second interface to read the battery temperature.  When the battery temperature is provided by both interfaces, "Battery" is listed twice on the Thermal page.