Acer TC-220 wrong CPU Temps

MrCommunistGen

I have an Acer TC-220 where the CPU temperatures are reported incorrectly.  Reported temperatures of a CPU under load are sub-ambient and I'm just using the standard air cooler.  It looks like either the motherboard is reporting the wrong temperatures, or they are using a non-standard offset, because another program is reporting a false reading for Tctl as well.  However, the other program also reports "CPU Package (TSI) - and the value looks like a reasonable value - but this value isn't reported in AIDA64.

I saw on another sensor related bug ticket the instruction was to:

right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump

But I don't see how to do that, otherwise I'd go ahead and include that info in the initial report.

Acer Sensors.png

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, MrCommunistGen said:

So I just started right-clicking everything and I found that if I right-click "Sensor Properties" it'll give me some sort of debug output.  I'll attach that here.

acer sensor debug.txt

Thank you.  Do you think the temperature reading labelled as "Aux" in AIDA64 may be the CPU thermal reading?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I was away on vacation for the winter holiday.

I'm back now and I did a bit of testing.  At idle "Aux" was reading 40C.  I then used the AIDA64 CPU stress test (CPU only) and the temp of Aux slowly increased to 49C after several minutes, but the other CPU temp readings increased sharply.  Then I stopped the CPU stress test and the Aux reading slowly decreased back to 43C after several minutes.  The other CPU measurements dropped sharply (as I would expect).

This leads me to believe that AUX is NOT the CPU temperature, but some other component on the motherboard.  I have 0 evidence to support it, but my guess would be that it is a VRM temperature.  I certainly don't have enough confidence to say that Aux should be relabeled to anything else (it should stay as Aux).

For what it is worth, Aux corresponds with what HWinfo is calling "Temperature 1" on the ITE IT8772F.  What's interesting is that the Tctl and TSI are always offset by 49C, though I don't believe that either value is the true CPU temperature either.  Both temps seem to move up and down as the CPU is placed under load, but there is some missing offset needed to correct the temps to the true values...  Tctl is too low and TSI is too high.  TSI suggests that the CPU idles at 65.5C and hits a load temp of 83.5C.  The stock cooler on this CPU is bad, but it isn't *that* bad.  Also, while the heatsink is warm to the touch, it isn't anywhere near that hot.

I would say that without having more information there is no way to get the correct CPU temperature from the sensor data available.

image.png

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, MrCommunistGen said:

Sorry I was away on vacation for the winter holiday.

I'm back now and I did a bit of testing.  At idle "Aux" was reading 40C.  I then used the AIDA64 CPU stress test (CPU only) and the temp of Aux slowly increased to 49C after several minutes, but the other CPU temp readings increased sharply.  Then I stopped the CPU stress test and the Aux reading slowly decreased back to 43C after several minutes.  The other CPU measurements dropped sharply (as I would expect).

This leads me to believe that AUX is NOT the CPU temperature, but some other component on the motherboard.  I have 0 evidence to support it, but my guess would be that it is a VRM temperature.  I certainly don't have enough confidence to say that Aux should be relabeled to anything else (it should stay as Aux).

For what it is worth, Aux corresponds with what HWinfo is calling "Temperature 1" on the ITE IT8772F.  What's interesting is that the Tctl and TSI are always offset by 49C, though I don't believe that either value is the true CPU temperature either.  Both temps seem to move up and down as the CPU is placed under load, but there is some missing offset needed to correct the temps to the true values...  Tctl is too low and TSI is too high.  TSI suggests that the CPU idles at 65.5C and hits a load temp of 83.5C.  The stock cooler on this CPU is bad, but it isn't *that* bad.  Also, while the heatsink is warm to the touch, it isn't anywhere near that hot.

I would say that without having more information there is no way to get the correct CPU temperature from the sensor data available.

Thank you for your testing.  I agree, it seems to be quite difficult to get a proper CPU temperature measurement from your system.