2 Questions regarding sensors on AM4 (ASRock B450 Pro4)

D-E

Hello,

just upgraded to a ryzen 2600/am4-system and got 2 questions:

1. For cpu temperature, i could choose "CPU" or "CPU Diode"...as far as i can see, they show the same value with a 1° difference sometimes...does it make a difference which one i pick for my sensor panel/OSD ?

2. It alsho shows a "VRM"-temperature...which seems to stay locked at 29°...what exactly is this and does it ever change its value ?

Thx in advance,

Chris.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, D-E said:

Hello,

just upgraded to a ryzen 2600/am4-system and got 2 questions:

1. For cpu temperature, i could choose "CPU" or "CPU Diode"...as far as i can see, they show the same value with a 1° difference sometimes...does it make a difference which one i pick for my sensor panel/OSD ?

2. It alsho shows a "VRM"-temperature...which seems to stay locked at 29°...what exactly is this and does it ever change its value ?

Thx in advance,

Chris.

1) "CPU" is measured by the motherboard sensor chip, while "CPU Diode" is measured by the CPU itself using its on-die thermal diodes.  We generally recommend using the latter, since it doesn't depend on the motherboard or the motherboard sensor chip.

2) It depends on the motherboard model.  It may be an invalid (bogus) reading either.  What kind of motherboard do you have?

10 hours ago, Fiery said:

1) "CPU" is measured by the motherboard sensor chip, while "CPU Diode" is measured by the CPU itself using its on-die thermal diodes.  We generally recommend using the latter, since it doesn't depend on the motherboard or the motherboard sensor chip.

2) It depends on the motherboard model.  It may be an invalid (bogus) reading either.  What kind of motherboard do you have?

Hey,

thanks for the answer. Should´ve mentionend the motherboard in the first post..it´s an Asrock B450 Pro4,  latest bios-version (1.80).

22 minutes ago, D-E said:

Hey,

thanks for the answer. Should´ve mentionend the motherboard in the first post..it´s an Asrock B450 Pro4,  latest bios-version (1.80).

ASRock B450 chipset based motherboards should provide a VRM temperature reading properly, but maybe your motherboard has an issue measuring it.  Can you see a different VRM thermal reading in the UEFI Setup or BIOS Setup or ASRock's own monitoring tool that has its value changing with system load?

Just tried with Asrocks Tool and putting up some load....vrm-temperature there is stuck at 29° all the time too.

Guess the sensor is faulty there or its a bios bug, at least it isn´t some bug in aida when asrocks own tool reports the same :).

10 hours ago, D-E said:

Just tried with Asrocks Tool and putting up some load....vrm-temperature there is stuck at 29° all the time too.

Guess the sensor is faulty there or its a bios bug, at least it isn´t some bug in aida when asrocks own tool reports the same :).

We've removed VRM temperature reading on both ASRock B450 Pro4 and B450M Pro4 in the latest AIDA64 beta build available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

7 hours ago, Fiery said:

We've removed VRM temperature reading on both ASRock B450 Pro4 and B450M Pro4 in the latest AIDA64 beta build available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

Ah cool. I found some other people in other forums with the same problem together with one (unconfirmed) claim that according to asrock the board isnt supposed to have a vrm sensor anyway.

On a sidenote: The support here, especially from you, is really great :). I don´t write often here (usually only when i got a new pc), but still read from time to time and support is always knowledgeful and quick.

17 hours ago, D-E said:

Ah cool. I found some other people in other forums with the same problem together with one (unconfirmed) claim that according to asrock the board isnt supposed to have a vrm sensor anyway.

On a sidenote: The support here, especially from you, is really great :). I don´t write often here (usually only when i got a new pc), but still read from time to time and support is always knowledgeful and quick.

Thank you for your kind words.