Current beta is lagging the PC (Asus M10H & Asus M11F)

dna

Current beta is lagging the PC during gameplay and other intensive tasks. I’ve never experienced this before in the 15 years I’ve been using this tool and ~10 years using the OSD panel. So I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this because it never crossed my mind that AIDA64 would be a potential culprit. Indeed, when I completely close it, the latency spikes cease.

this was tested on my primary rig (9900k, 2080ti, ASUS M11F, nvme/pcie system drive - with system overclocked and with optimized defaults.. doesn’t matter (ie I ruled out overclock instability) 

im going to test on secondary rig with 8700k, 2080 (non-Ti), ASUS M10H mobo, 970Evo nvme system drive

will report back

let me know what sort of diagnostics you’d like me to report to help get this situated

-Cheers

7 hours ago, dna said:

Current beta is lagging the PC during gameplay and other intensive tasks. I’ve never experienced this before in the 15 years I’ve been using this tool and ~10 years using the OSD panel. So I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this because it never crossed my mind that AIDA64 would be a potential culprit. Indeed, when I completely close it, the latency spikes cease.

this was tested on my primary rig (9900k, 2080ti, ASUS M11F, nvme/pcie system drive - with system overclocked and with optimized defaults.. doesn’t matter (ie I ruled out overclock instability) 

im going to test on secondary rig with 8700k, 2080 (non-Ti), ASUS M10H mobo, 970Evo nvme system drive

will report back

let me know what sort of diagnostics you’d like me to report to help get this situated

-Cheers

Please try to disable the two Embedded Controller related options in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability, and restart AIDA64 to apply the changes.  Let me know if it makes a difference.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:39 AM, Fiery said:

Please try to disable the two Embedded Controller related options in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability, and restart AIDA64 to apply the changes.  Let me know if it makes a difference.

Will do. 

On 4/1/2019 at 3:39 AM, Fiery said:

Hi Fiery,

Amazing! It worked! I opened the menu this is what I found:

• "Controller (EC) Support" = enabled
  • "Embedded Controller (EC) bank switching" = disabled 

So, per your instructions I diabled the "EC Support" option, rebooted, and now im back up and running. I don't get any of the CPU latency spikes like I was getting before.

Can you explain what those options are for and why they may have been causing an issue? I really appreciate the help!

- M

4 hours ago, dna said:

Can you explain what those options are for and why they may have been causing an issue? I really appreciate the help!

Embedded Controller (EC) is a special chip on your motherboard that extends the usual sensor measurement capabilities of the Super I/O chip (that's also on your motherboard) with special readings.  However, on some Asus motherboards polling (reading) EC registers can cause slowdowns and latency spikes.  In which case it's best to disable EC support in AIDA64, and by that sacrificing a few sensor readings.  If you make a screen shot or photo of the Computer / Sensor page with and without the EC options enabled, you can see which values you would lose when you disable EC support.  In most case those are not vital sensor readings, and there are only a few of them.

19 hours ago, Fiery said:

Embedded Controller (EC) is a special chip on your motherboard that extends the usual sensor measurement capabilities of the Super I/O chip (that's also on your motherboard) with special readings.  However, on some Asus motherboards polling (reading) EC registers can cause slowdowns and latency spikes.  In which case it's best to disable EC support in AIDA64, and by that sacrificing a few sensor readings.  If you make a screen shot or photo of the Computer / Sensor page with and without the EC options enabled, you can see which values you would lose when you disable EC support.  In most case those are not vital sensor readings, and there are only a few of them.

makes perfect sense. thank you for being able to resolve this so quickly, even though this probably isnt a bug but rather a known limitation/conflict. i appreciate the help!

- dna