AIDA64 v1.85 crash (ULPS)

mopikolaila

1) Does it also crash when you go to the Computer / Sensor page?

2) Does it also crash when you go to the Display / GPU page?

3) Did everything work well with the previous AIDA64 release? (Version 1.80)

4) Please let us know more about your system configuration: motherboard model, CPU type, video card(s) model, Windows version?

Thanks,

Fiery

Then it is related to the infamous ULPS feature of Catalyst drivers. It shuts down the secondary GPU (or GPUs) when you're not in a 3D game or application. However, that feature may cause a system lockup sometimes. You can try disabling Multi-GPU support (in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability), but in most cases that doesn't help. It's best to completely disable the ULPS feature by setting all occurences of EnableUlps to 0 (zero) in the Registry, using the Registry Editor application (REGEDIT.EXE). You need to restart your computer after altering the EnableUlps values in the Registry.

Regards,

Fiery

I got another suggestion. You could pull out the second gpu just to use their software! Its unacceptable to disable a key system power saving feature just to use this software. I can't believe they haven't fixed this issue at version 1.85 already!

I say AMD/ATI users ban AIDA64 until they fix this issue!

BS.

Edit: Why I'm pissed: Risking data loss due to an unexpected reboot is not pleasant...

I got another suggestion. You could pull out the second gpu just to use their software! Its unacceptable to disable a key system power saving feature just to use this software. I can't believe they haven't fixed this issue at version 1.85 already!

I say AMD/ATI users ban AIDA64 until they fix this issue!

BS.

Edit: Why I'm pissed: Risking data loss due to an unexpected reboot is not pleasant...

Please choose your words more carefully.

It's not our fault that AMD implemented the ULPS feature in a way that causes issues to 3rd party software vendors like us and many other guys who work on diagnostic and monitoring software. We've talked to a software/firmware developer who works close to AMD about this, and even he admitted the way AMD implemented ULPS in their drivers is very unwise. It simply turns off the secondary GPU when it's not used, and a simple MMIO readout -- a standard Windows method to read registers from various type of hardware -- causes a hard lock on the computer. Please note that I'm talking about readout, not writing to any registers.

If you know what MMIO is, how Windows kernel drivers work, and what should happen when a system component goes to sleep, then it should be obvious to you that how ULPS works is clearly unacceptable. We've tried to implement workarounds, in fact, we did implement 3 different workarounds to overcome the ULPS nightmare, but they don't work in some cases.

If you want to blame anyone or ban anyone, it should be AMD Catalyst developers, and not AIDA64 or any other 3rd party applications.

BTW, nVIDIA wisely invented and then keeps maintaining, improving and extending a special interface called NVAPI, that allows 3rd party developers to safely communicate with the GPUs, including SLI configurations. It's a fast an efficient way to access the GPU, to measure clocks, temperatures, voltages and other properties. AIDA64 implements support for NVAPI to avoid any potential issues that would be caused by direct communication with video hardware.

AMD on the other hand implemented their own solution called ADL (in their Catalyst driver suite), which is very slow and inefficient way of talking to their hardware. We simply cannot use that in AIDA64, because it would make it impossible to read clocks, temperatures and voltages in real-time, with a frequent update period. If AMD would have implemented ADL properly, we could use it to avoid ULPS issues.

Don't get me wrong, we love AMD's video adapters. We just hate their drivers and the way they implemented ULPS. And it's quite frustrating when someone puts the blame on us. That's all.

Please choose your words more carefully.

It's not our fault that AMD implemented the ULPS feature in a way that causes issues to 3rd party software vendors like us and many other guys who work on diagnostic and monitoring software. We've talked to a developer close to AMD about this, and even he admitted the way AMD implemented ULPS in their drivers is very unwise. It simply turns off the secondary GPU when it's not used, and a simple MMIO readout -- a standard Windows method to read registers from various type of hardware -- causes a hard lock on the computer. Please note that I'm talking about readout, not writing to any registers.

If you know what MMIO is, how kernel drivers work, and what should happen when a system component goes to sleep, then it should be obvious to you that this method is unacceptable. We've tried to implement workarounds, in fact, we did implement 3 different workarounds to overcome the ULPS nightmare, but it doesn't work in some cases.

If you want to blame anyone or ban anyone, it should be AMD Catalyst developers, and not AIDA64 or any other 3rd party applications.

Fair enough. But how about doing a check and warning AMD crossfire folks that going any further may lock your system up?

I have to agree to disagree with your answer.

Fair enough. But how about doing a check and warning AMD crossfire folks that going any further may lock your system up?

We could display that in many cases (not just with CrossFire/ULPS), since there're numerous pitfalls while performing hardware detection. And as I've stated above, our workarounds work in most cases, just not in all cases. It's not easy to decide in which case shall we display a warning.

Well looks like davidm71 is a stock user ati card, if you overclockec your ati card you also requred to turn off the ulps. Unless you are ocing with ati ccc, lol!