AIDA64 Extreme - Error Message During Upgrade

SJMarty

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) and attempting to upgrade from v5.99.4900 to v6.00.5100 and getting the error message below...

C:\Program Files (x86)\FinalWire\AIDA 64 Extreme\aida64.exe

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile failed; code 183

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

I've been running AIDA64 Extreme for years and done numerous upgrades without issue.  AIDA64 is closed and during the installation attempt.  I have rebooted and retried with the same results.

I'm sure uninstalling the current version and installing v6.00.5100 fresh would work but I'd rather not do that and lose my settings.  Plus, without knowing why I'm getting the error message, I'm concerned about future upgrades.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, SJMarty said:

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) and attempting to upgrade from v5.99.4900 to v6.00.5100 and getting the error message below...

I've been running AIDA64 Extreme for years and done numerous upgrades without issue.  AIDA64 is closed and during the installation attempt.  I have rebooted and retried with the same results.

I'm sure uninstalling the current version and installing v6.00.5100 fresh would work but I'd rather not do that and lose my settings.  Plus, without knowing why I'm getting the error message, I'm concerned about future upgrades.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thanks.

I guess the issue is due to lack of permissions.  In other words, the update process (AIDA_UPDATE.DLL) has no rights to overwrite the old AIDA64 main binary file (AIDA64.EXE) and replace it with the new one.  What you can do is either dig down deeper and find out why the update process has no rights to do that, or download the AIDA64 v6.00 portable ZIP package, and extract it to the existing AIDA64 installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\FinalWire\AIDA64 Extreme).  Let it overwrite any existing files.  Your settings and your license will both be retained that way.  If you're concious about keeping your settings, I recommend you to periodically backup the AIDA64.INI and PKEY.TXT files that you can find in the AIDA64 installation folder.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:45 AM, Fiery said:

I guess the issue is due to lack of permissions.  In other words, the update process (AIDA_UPDATE.DLL) has no rights to overwrite the old AIDA64 main binary file (AIDA64.EXE) and replace it with the new one.  What you can do is either dig down deeper and find out why the update process has no rights to do that, or download the AIDA64 v6.00 portable ZIP package, and extract it to the existing AIDA64 installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\FinalWire\AIDA64 Extreme).  Let it overwrite any existing files.  Your settings and your license will both be retained that way.  If you're concious about keeping your settings, I recommend you to periodically backup the AIDA64.INI and PKEY.TXT files that you can find in the AIDA64 installation folder.

I am installing the software as an administrator and have UAC turned off.  The file permissions on AIDA64.exe have not been modified from the defaults and upon checking, grant both local Administrators and SYSTEM 'Full Control' permissions.  Based on that, I don't think the installer's failure to replace this file is due to permissions.

Since I have AIDA64 v5.99.4900 installed via the installer, it seems like a bad idea to download the v6.00.5100 portable and extract those files into the currently installed folder.  Although the AIDA64.exe will be replaced, I'll be left with Windows reflecting v5.99 is installed but the folder contains files of the newer v6.00.  I do want this issue resolved but as I mentioned, I also want to ensure I am able to update to future releases.

I would love to "dig down deeper" to find out why the update process is failing.  Unfortunately, after the error message, the installer rolls all of the changes back.  Is there a log of the installer's activities I can reference?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, SJMarty said:

I am installing the software as an administrator and have UAC turned off.  The file permissions on AIDA64.exe have not been modified from the defaults and upon checking, grant both local Administrators and SYSTEM 'Full Control' permissions.  Based on that, I don't think the installer's failure to replace this file is due to permissions.

Since I have AIDA64 v5.99.4900 installed via the installer, it seems like a bad idea to download the v6.00.5100 portable and extract those files into the currently installed folder.  Although the AIDA64.exe will be replaced, I'll be left with Windows reflecting v5.99 is installed but the folder contains files of the newer v6.00.  I do want this issue resolved but as I mentioned, I also want to ensure I am able to update to future releases.

I would love to "dig down deeper" to find out why the update process is failing.  Unfortunately, after the error message, the installer rolls all of the changes back.  Is there a log of the installer's activities I can reference?

I'm afraid there's no log or other info that we could use to find out more about what happened on your system about the upgrade.  If you don't like the idea of simply replacing the files manually (which the auto-updater would do anyway), what you can do is backup your Preferences file (AIDA64.INI) and license file (PKEY.TXT).  You can find both files in AIDA64 installation folder.  Then uninstall AIDA64 v5.99 and install AIDA64 v6.00 using the self-installer EXE package.  Then copy back your Preferences and license files to the new installation folder, and you're good to go.