"Overheating Detected!" at all times (Lenovo Thinkpad W541 + i7-4710MQ)

agraham

5 hours ago, agraham said:

When I run the AIDA System Stability Test, it shows "Overheating Detected!" at all times, even before I've started a test, and the system is idle.

Core temps look to be about 57 - is that so bad?

Check out image:

Does it show that if you restart your system and check it out right after Windows bootup?  What CPU and motherboard do you have?

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, agraham said:

It's a Lenovo Thinkpad W541

i7-4710MQ

That is a high-end Haswell core based mobile CPU.  Haswell chips tend to run at high temperatures and tend to throttle even when the cooling of the system is in fine conditions.  So on such systems a constant throttling (due to frequent overheating) is sadly normal.

Interesting.

Maybe I will try liquid metal on this guy then to see if I can reduce the throttling.

Does "Overheating Detected" simply mean that AIDA detected any amount of throttling? Or does it mean AIDA detected high core temperatures?

9 hours ago, agraham said:

Does "Overheating Detected" simply mean that AIDA detected any amount of throttling? Or does it mean AIDA detected high core temperatures?

There's a sticky bit in one of the architectural registers (MSR) that reflects whether since bootup there ever was an overheating condition as monitored and detected by the CPU itself.  When that bit equals 1, AIDA64 will show "Overheating Detected!".

• 6 months later...

I mentioned this in another thread as well, but I repasted this laptop with Arctic Silver 5 and now it works perfectly. I never see Overheating Detected and it never throttles no matter how long I run stability test now.

I never would have believed how effective a repaste can be. It's like a totally different laptop!

Thanks again Fiery.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:18 AM, agraham said:

I mentioned this in another thread as well, but I repasted this laptop with Arctic Silver 5 and now it works perfectly. I never see Overheating Detected and it never throttles no matter how long I run stability test now.

I never would have believed how effective a repaste can be. It's like a totally different laptop!

Thanks again Fiery.

I'm glad you've managed to solve it.  Especially since most of the Haswell CPU based laptops will throttle no matter what you do about the heat conductor paste... :(