Jump to content

Preferences inaccessible


Recommended Posts

Today I tried Aida and was impressed by its features. I played around a bit with the preferences. However, suddenly the preferences window became inaccessible. When I now click on File -> Preferences, the following happens:

- The Aida window stays as-is, but loses focus

- A new "window" labeled "Preferences" appears in the lower left corner of the screen. This window has no content area. It just consists of the title bar (complete with icon, title, and min/max/close buttons). This window gains focus.

- Aida immediately becomes non-responsive. Clicking on the Preferences "window" or anywhere inside Aida's main window just produces the regular dull sound that windows plays when a command can't be executed.

- Once the Preferences "window" loses focus, it is impossible to pull it into focus again.

- Right-clicking on Aida's tray icon quickly calls up a text-less background of a context menu which immediately vanishes, then it redraws Aida's task bar tab, and brings Aida's main window to the foreground. If it hadn't been in the foreground already (but only then), this window gains focus. However, it is still unresponsive.

- Right-clicking on Aida's task bar tab has similar effects: It selects the tab as active, and brings Aida's main window to the foreground. If this window hadn't been in the foreground already (but only then), it gains focus. However, it is still unresponsive.

- Although I cannot communicate with Aida in any way in this situation, Aida has not crashed or frozen. OSD, sensor display, and log files are still being updated.

- I have found no way to re-enable Aida's windows except killing its process in the task manager and restarting it.

This problem seems to be purely an interface issue. Technically Aida does still work. I can even configure it to my liking by manually editing its ini file. That's slightly cumbersome though ...

I already tried the following (unsuccessfully) to solve the issue:

- rebooting

- deleting Aida's ini file and all other files in its directory that had today's timestamp

- overwriting all files in Aida's program folder with those from the archive I downloaded

- studying the help file and the forums

- deleting all deletable registry keys that had the string "Aida" in them

- reinstalling chipset drivers

Since nothing helped, I'm rather puzzled now - especially because the feature _did_ work at first, and I have no idea what might have happened to break it. I would uninstall Aida if I could, but there's no uninstaller provided. How can I make Aida operational again?

My Environment:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

Graphics Card: Gainward GF GTX 560 Phantom

OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit (fresh install)

Latest drivers throughout

Aida version 1.85.1600

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow - extremely fast reply, especially considering your location. ;)

I haven't tried the beta version, will do so and report the results.

In the registry, I had only found two paths containing Aida keys, in the folders LEGACY_AIDA64DRIVER and AIDA64DRIVER. The former was protected, and I deleted the latter. I just found out that there are several more Aida entries in the registry - I had overlooked those because the next search result after the folder I deleted was another folder named LEGACY_AIDA64DRIVER, and I mistakenly thought that the search had returned to the first folder. So if there's something in the registry causing the problem, I probably did not delete it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Removing the whole path under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FinalWire\AIDA64 should help to eliminate weird Preferences window placement issues. Of course it's possible to just reset the Preferences window values in the Registry by removing the following entries from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FinalWire\AIDA64:






  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pos and Size key values looked okay, so I only deleted PrefWindowState, which was at 1. This solved the problem. The preference window now appears and operates normally. The PrefWindowState key was recreated with a value of 0.

I tried playing around with the settings a bit more, hoping I could find out how exactly I managed to break it, but couldn't break it again so far. It may be connected to the "minimize/close to tray" functionality, I think that wasthe setting that I was toying around with right before the problem occurred - but I can't seem to reproduce it.

Thanks for the lightning-fast and competent help! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...