Jump to content
AIDA64 Discussion Forum
James R. Stern

Support for more than one Display in AIDA

Recommended Posts

Support for more than one OLED under AIDA? Why would you want that?

During the construction of my simulator cockpit this idea came to me at first sight a bit unusual.
I'm building the cockpit of a F-16 Viper and it has two displays: The DED (Data Entry Display) and the PFLD (Pilot Fault List Display). Appropriately, you can display them very well with a 256x64 ER-OLEDM032 with the SSD1322 chip. They fit almost perfectly from the size compared to the original in the F-16.

Normally, if you are already building a simulator cockpit, you use classic BMS or DCS. However, I don't use both programs, but I only rebuild the cockpit (some might consider it an outrage that I mainly play Elite Dangerous). Using BMS you can display the correct content on DED and PFLD via the Shared Mem.
As this is not the case with me, I came up with the idea to use AIDA64 for the display on both displays - the main thing is that something is displayed and so I display system information on the screens which I can make look very similar to the original thanks to AIDA.

In a first attempt I took the LCD screens from a Logitech G510 for the DED and a second screen from a Logitech G13 gameboard. I found out that you can use both screens at the same time but the identical content is displayed on both screens.

And now my idea: Why not integrate the support for more than one display in AIDA and the possibility to set the contents separately for each screen? At first glance, the spinning mill of a Simpitbuilder might open up other application possibilities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, James R. Stern said:

Support for more than one OLED under AIDA? Why would you want that?

During the construction of my simulator cockpit this idea came to me at first sight a bit unusual.
I'm building the cockpit of a F-16 Viper and it has two displays: The DED (Data Entry Display) and the PFLD (Pilot Fault List Display). Appropriately, you can display them very well with a 256x64 ER-OLEDM032 with the SSD1322 chip. They fit almost perfectly from the size compared to the original in the F-16.

Normally, if you are already building a simulator cockpit, you use classic BMS or DCS. However, I don't use both programs, but I only rebuild the cockpit (some might consider it an outrage that I mainly play Elite Dangerous). Using BMS you can display the correct content on DED and PFLD via the Shared Mem.
As this is not the case with me, I came up with the idea to use AIDA64 for the display on both displays - the main thing is that something is displayed and so I display system information on the screens which I can make look very similar to the original thanks to AIDA.

In a first attempt I took the LCD screens from a Logitech G510 for the DED and a second screen from a Logitech G13 gameboard. I found out that you can use both screens at the same time but the identical content is displayed on both screens.

And now my idea: Why not integrate the support for more than one display in AIDA and the possibility to set the contents separately for each screen? At first glance, the spinning mill of a Simpitbuilder might open up other application possibilities?

It's already implemented. In your particular case the problem is not AIDA64, but the Logitech LCD SDK that only allows handling a single colour (QVGA) display (like Logitech G19) and a single monochrome display (like Logitech G15).  You can combine a single Logitech colour display and a single Logitech monochrome display without problems, but if you add one more Logitech display, it cannot be handled as a 3rd independent display by Logitech LCD SDK.

Now, if you want to combine let's say an EastRising ER-OLEDM032 and a Logitech LCD, both can be handled without problems.  Multiple non-Logitech displays can also be handled by AIDA64 without problems, as long as you have a single display of a certain kind.  So for example you can use one Logitech LCD, one EastRising OLED, one Matrix Orbital LCD, and one Crystalfontz LCD together, and all four displays can be handled separately by AIDA64.  If you however want to use multiple displays of the same kind, e.g. four EastRising ER-OLEDM032 displays, then it's a case by case basis. For certain display protocols (like AlphaCool, CrystalFontz, CWLinux, picoLCD, Razer, Saitek, Trefon, YoctoPuce, etc) AIDA64 already supports multiple (two or three) displays of the same kind, while for others you need to request us to unlock that possibility.  For 99% of the users it's not a requirement, that's why we don't unlock multiple display support for all display protocols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the best news of the day. :)
So the support of several displays for the East Rising protocol would have to be "only" activated in the end?

Then I officially apply for multi-display-support for the East Rising protocol and implement it in one of the upcoming updates. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, James R. Stern said:

That's the best news of the day. :)
So the support of several displays for the East Rising protocol would have to be "only" activated in the end?

Then I officially apply for multi-display-support for the East Rising protocol and implement it in one of the upcoming updates. :D

Yes.  Please let me know how many EastRising displays do you plan to use with AIDA64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, James R. Stern said:

In my case there will be two displays, namely the DED and PFLD displays mentioned above.

The requested feature (of supporting up to 3 independent EastRising ER-OLEDM032 displays) will be implemented in the next AIDA64 beta update.  I will post a message into this topic once the new beta is available for download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not have expected such a quick reaction and implementation of my question - madness!

And as proof... it runs like clockwork.

Thank you very, very much again. Who knows what kind of stupid ideas I'll come up with next (running gauges with steppers via AIDA or something like that)? :lol:

IMG_5709.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James R. Stern said:

I would not have expected such a quick reaction and implementation of my question - madness!

And as proof... it runs like clockwork.

Thank you very, very much again. Who knows what kind of stupid ideas I'll come up with next (running gauges with steppers via AIDA or something like that)? :lol:

IMG_5709.jpg

It looks great! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...