Spiky temps on 3900x

i read on a reddit post that AMD are intending to rrelease documentation to implement the short rolling average that ryzen master uses to monitor its temps and that PBO2 uses to decide on thermal based boosting, however i am still seeing strange behaviour in my aida64 sensor panel, that has peaks >55c on idle and is reading anywhere from 5-15c higher than ryzen master.

i dont mind the difference in temp so much as the peaking behaviour seeming very strange, is there any plans to implement the rolling average to better match the AMD monitoring?

I've attached 2 images that show the differences in behaviour.

FWIW i understand that aida is showing a histogram, however even with the line graph it was showing these spikes

ryzenmaster.png

aida64.png

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Ben 'Eyebrows' Grainger said:

i read on a reddit post that AMD are intending to rrelease documentation to implement the short rolling average that ryzen master uses to monitor its temps and that PBO2 uses to decide on thermal based boosting, however i am still seeing strange behaviour in my aida64 sensor panel, that has peaks >55c on idle and is reading anywhere from 5-15c higher than ryzen master.

i dont mind the difference in temp so much as the peaking behaviour seeming very strange, is there any plans to implement the rolling average to better match the AMD monitoring?

I've attached 2 images that show the differences in behaviour.

FWIW i understand that aida is showing a histogram, however even with the line graph it was showing these spikes

ryzenmaster.png

aida64.png

We reckon there're different methodologies to measure the core temperature of Matisse processors, and both Ryzen Master and AIDA64 are right about the temperatures.   They just indicate a different value because Ryzen Master computes an average reading during a short timeframe, while AIDA64 shows the immediate reading at any given time point.

Yessir, this is what AMD said at least, they mentioned that they would be trying to work with or at least release documentation to more closely show this behavior in 3rd party monitoring apps, is this something you guys have gotten wind of or is it possible to implement at all?
its not a huge deal, i just aesthetically dont like seeing the super spiky behaviour, not to mention it can make it harder to read the graphs.

during load its absolutely fine as you would expect, its really just the idle behaviour with the whole race to idle thing.

if theres any possibility of a short rolling average that would be awesome!

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Ben 'Eyebrows' Grainger said:

Yessir, this is what AMD said at least, they mentioned that they would be trying to work with or at least release documentation to more closely show this behavior in 3rd party monitoring apps, is this something you guys have gotten wind of or is it possible to implement at all?
its not a huge deal, i just aesthetically dont like seeing the super spiky behaviour, not to mention it can make it harder to read the graphs.

during load its absolutely fine as you would expect, its really just the idle behaviour with the whole race to idle thing.

if theres any possibility of a short rolling average that would be awesome!

Yes, AMD did contact us to talk about this issue and find a middle ground that would satisfy all users.  I'm not sure what that middle ground would eventually be, since only this week we can get a proper Matisse test system to check out the problem in details.  We'll do our homework (test runs, research) and will come up with something that hopefully will be useful for you as as well as other owners of this superb CPU by AMD.