CPU temperature or core temperature

Cobi2020

Hello, sorry if I write English poorly, I'm Peruvian.
I have some doubts.
1. Why is the "CPU temperature" lower than the "CPU temperature cores?
2. Which one should I consider to see if there are temperature problems or compare the data with the datasheet processor?
3. Is there a manual that explains these characteristics of the AIDA64?

Thanks

2222.png

Edited by Cobi2020
Estaba en español
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Cobi2020 said:

Hello, sorry if I write English poorly, I'm Peruvian.
I have some doubts.
1. Why is the "CPU temperature" lower than the "CPU temperature cores?
2. Which one should I consider to see if there are temperature problems or compare the data with the datasheet processor?
3. Is there a manual that explains these characteristics of the AIDA64?

Thanks

The "CPU" temperature is measured by the onboard sensor chip, while the individual core temperatures are measured by the CPU itself.  We consider the core temperatures more dependable and more accurate due to the fact that the CPU measures them for itself, without relying on an external hardware component of the motherboard.

We don't have a manual that would explain that, but we're happy to answer your questions here.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, Fiery said:

The "CPU" temperature is measured by the onboard sensor chip, while the individual core temperatures are measured by the CPU itself.  We consider the core temperatures more dependable and more accurate due to the fact that the CPU measures them for itself, without relying on an external hardware component of the motherboard.

We don't have a manual that would explain that, but we're happy to answer your questions here.

Blimey, it's unusual that I can reply to a forum post from a google search without necro'ing (kinda, same year at least) ...

On the OSD panel, there is the option for displaying CPU Utilization, and CPU Utilization by core. Is the same principle true with this metric as you explain above with the CPU temperatures?

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:48 AM, Lexus said:

On the OSD panel, there is the option for displaying CPU Utilization, and CPU Utilization by core. Is the same principle true with this metric as you explain above with the CPU temperatures?

They should be there, on the AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring / OSD / OSD Items page.  Try to scroll down a bit to find them ;)

49 minutes ago, Fiery said:

They should be there, on the AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring / OSD / OSD Items page.  Try to scroll down a bit to find them ;)

Hi Fiery,

Yes, they are both there. My question is how each metric is reported. You state above to OP that "core temperatures are measured by the CPU itself" meaning it is a more accurate/reliable report when measuring CPU temperature. My question is, are the CPU utilization metrics ('CPU Utilization', and 'CPU Utilization by core') reported in the same way?

Is 'CPU Utilization by core' reported by the CPU itself? And 'CPU Utilization' reported by the onboard sensor chip, or just an aggregation of the utilization of each core? Meaning that, of the two metrics, 'CPU Utilization by core' is a more accurate/reliable figure as it's reported by the CPU itself?

Sorry, I recognised after posting that this is not only off topic from OP, but also in wrong sub-forum!

4 minutes ago, Lexus said:

Hi Fiery,

Yes, they are both there. My question is how each metric is reported. You state above to OP that "core temperatures are measured by the CPU itself" meaning it is a more accurate/reliable report when measuring CPU temperature. My question is, are the CPU utilization metrics ('CPU Utilization', and 'CPU Utilization by core') reported in the same way?

Is 'CPU Utilization by core' reported by the CPU itself? And 'CPU Utilization' reported by the onboard sensor chip, or just an aggregation of the utilization of each core? Meaning that, of the two metrics, 'CPU Utilization by core' is a more accurate/reliable figure as it's reported by the CPU itself?

Sorry, I recognised after posting that this is not only off topic from OP, but also in wrong sub-forum!

CPU utilization is measured by the operating system.  The CPU itself cannot measure that.

• Thanks 1