Aida64 for Android ver 1.73 & 1.74 bug with sensor polling

FlyingKiwi

Both my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018 10.5) and my Google Pixel 3 XL display the same bug with the last 2 versions of Aida64 for Android (at least)  - freezing on the sensor screen with polling stopping.

As an example when you first go to the sensor screen while moving the phone or tablet around, you'll see the numbers fluctuate alot but then after a fairly short while (under a minute), the numbers just freeze. I don't recall this being an issue with versions including and prior to 1.72 (but then maybe I didn't use 1.72 in this situation long enough to get the polling freeze? 

I've tried adjusting the polling intervals to each of the selectable values under settings but in both devices, the problem still crops up in under a minute. The phone is a 64 bit OS whereas the tablet is 32 Bit (but with a 64 bit capable CPU).

What further testing could I do to help pinpoint the cause of this bug? I've submitted a bug report from the tablet already but is it going to be helpful to submit another from the phone? As the hardware is quite different (they both utilise different versions of Qualcom CPUs though), I suspect it may not be device specific - is anyone else getting this?

On 7/26/2020 at 5:50 AM, FlyingKiwi said:

Both my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018 10.5) and my Google Pixel 3 XL display the same bug with the last 2 versions of Aida64 for Android (at least)  - freezing on the sensor screen with polling stopping.

As an example when you first go to the sensor screen while moving the phone or tablet around, you'll see the numbers fluctuate alot but then after a fairly short while (under a minute), the numbers just freeze. I don't recall this being an issue with versions including and prior to 1.72 (but then maybe I didn't use 1.72 in this situation long enough to get the polling freeze? 

I've tried adjusting the polling intervals to each of the selectable values under settings but in both devices, the problem still crops up in under a minute. The phone is a 64 bit OS whereas the tablet is 32 Bit (but with a 64 bit capable CPU).

What further testing could I do to help pinpoint the cause of this bug? I've submitted a bug report from the tablet already but is it going to be helpful to submit another from the phone? As the hardware is quite different (they both utilise different versions of Qualcom CPUs though), I suspect it may not be device specific - is anyone else getting this?

We've checked it, but couldn't reproduce the issue on our cca. dozen of Android devices, including a Pixel 2 and Pixel 4 phone.  In one situation the value may freeze, is when you rotate the device from landscape to portrait or back.  That's because AIDA64 uses a thread optimization trick to make it much quicker to open the Sensors page -- but in the same time that trick has a drawback that on some devices sensors polling can stop when the state of the device changes (e.g. rotating the device from landscape to portrait or back).

20 hours ago, Fiery said:

In one situation the value may freeze, is when you rotate the device from landscape to portrait or back.

Thanks for your fast reply. Bingo youve hit the nail on the head and indeed this is what brings on the freeze (every time and on both devices).

Maybe the coding shortcut could be improved to stop polling momentarily when it detects a screen orientation change coming up and then reestablished polling afterwards (so there's only a momentary hiccup during the change itself)?

On 7/28/2020 at 11:48 AM, FlyingKiwi said:

Thanks for your fast reply. Bingo youve hit the nail on the head and indeed this is what brings on the freeze (every time and on both devices).

Maybe the coding shortcut could be improved to stop polling momentarily when it detects a screen orientation change coming up and then reestablished polling afterwards (so there's only a momentary hiccup during the change itself)?

Yes, we will need to add a trick or two to make sure it works in all situations and keep working after the state changes.