CPU 28c but Cores at 75+ (i7-10875H + Gigabyte Aorus G15)

Stuza

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not and, after having Googled I'm struggling to answer as no posts seem to talk about the different sensors so, I was hoping that one of you might be able to advise me?

AIDA64 is reporting my CPU (Temperatures->CPU) is around 28c where as the cores are all around 70+c (Temperatures->CPU Core 1 ... 8).  What do you think guys, is my CPU (cores) running hot or is this normal for this CPU?  Why am I getting such a difference in temperature between the CPU and the CPU Cores? The CPU is an Intel i7-10875H and is in a laptop (Gigabyte Aorus G15) 

If this is indeed a problem then I'll order a cooling mat to help things out.

Thanks!

On 11/29/2020 at 5:44 AM, Stuza said:

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not and, after having Googled I'm struggling to answer as no posts seem to talk about the different sensors so, I was hoping that one of you might be able to advise me?

AIDA64 is reporting my CPU (Temperatures->CPU) is around 28c where as the cores are all around 70+c (Temperatures->CPU Core 1 ... 8).  What do you think guys, is my CPU (cores) running hot or is this normal for this CPU?  Why am I getting such a difference in temperature between the CPU and the CPU Cores? The CPU is an Intel i7-10875H and is in a laptop (Gigabyte Aorus G15) 

If this is indeed a problem then I'll order a cooling mat to help things out.

Thanks!

What about the other CPU related temperatures like CPU Package, CPU GT Cores, CPU IA Cores?  Do all of them reflect a high temperature?

Please note that laptops tend to work at much higher CPU temperatures as desktop computers, so it's not uncommon to see 70+ Celsius for laptop CPUs.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  As for the "CPU" temperature vs. other thermal readings: there's a chance that in your case the laptop provides a CPU thermal reading that is more the temperature of a system component (like motherboard) than the actual thermal state of the CPU.  With laptops the ACPI interface that we use to measure CPU temperature can be dodgy sometimes, so it's best to focus on the other CPU temperatures that the CPU itself measures using its on-die thermal sensing logic.  Those direct CPU temperatures are the core temperatures, CPU Package, CPU GT Cores, and CPU IA Cores.

Hi Fiery,

thank you for your response!

First - you are correct.  I checked the reading sensor for the 28c and it was assigned to a CPU value but this value never changed and remained static at 28c - maybe this is actually the mobo as you suggest.  I pointed this to the "CPU Package" and this instantly started to reflect roughly the same value as the cores (around 70+C).

I have now checked the factory fan settings and even at 70c the fans are only set to 45% so, as you say, maybe this is perfectly normal.  Just seems a bit freaky that the CPU will peak out at 100 so to run between 65 and 80 all the time is a bit of a head challenge!

I've got a support email in with AORUS to see what they say.

Again, thanks for your help!