AIDA64 not showing power load, temperature for APC SMT2200IC UPS

JcRabbit

Hey Fiery! :)

I just replaced my 11 year old APC SUA2200I Smart UPS with a brand new APC SMT2200IC Smart UPS but now I have a 'problem' with AIDA64:

With the older unit I could use AIDA64 to monitor the UPS's internal temperature. power load in Watts, etc... For the new UPS, AIDA64 unfortunately does not show this information, only the "basic" information you can normally get with DeviceIoControl (Runtime, Charge, Serial Number, etc).

The new UPS is connected to the PC (Windows 10) via USB, exactly like the old one. APC PowerChute is not installed since their drivers replace the normal Windows HID battery drivers.

If I connect the old SUA2200I, I can see the power load, temperature, for that unit as I could before, but when I connect the new SMT2200IC that information is absent - could this be an 'issue' with AIDA64 and the new APC UPSs, the new UPS not transmitting that information, or both?

I searched around a bit (and here I am completely out of my depth) before posting here and managed to find some forum posts with more people complaining about the missing info, but they were all from users using unRAID or APCUPSD under Linux. Apparently they could solve the issue by enabling a communication protocol called ModBus on the UPS itself (which comes disabled by default). Not sure if this has anything to do with the issue given that the UPS is connected via USB on a Windows 10 system and not a serial cable.

I never-the-less did try enabling ModBus in the UPS Advanced menu but it apparently made no difference? Also, looking at the User Guide and the settings I have available in the UPS, it seems the UPS itself is missing some ModBus configuration settings? In the UPS I could only find settings to enable/disable ModBus and set the ModBus device ID (currently set to 1), and I don't even know if this has anything to do with AIDA64 not being able to get the required info or not lol.

I did try contacting APC/Schneider Electric here in Portugal but the tech I talked to had no idea either.

What say you? You are my only hope, Obi Wan. :)

I guess you won't be saying anything, then (although a simple 'I don't know' would have made me feel better than just being ignored lol).

My other guess is that APC was using a SmartUPS protocol in their older products (like the SUA2200I), which was supported, and that AIDA64 does not support the 'new' ModBus protocol. No idea if that's actually it though, but I guess so.

Happy New Year to everyone and may this terrible 2020 year and all its catastrophes soon be well behind us! Stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 6:05 AM, JcRabbit said:

Hey Fiery! :)

I just replaced my 11 year old APC SUA2200I Smart UPS with a brand new APC SMT2200IC Smart UPS but now I have a 'problem' with AIDA64:

With the older unit I could use AIDA64 to monitor the UPS's internal temperature. power load in Watts, etc... For the new UPS, AIDA64 unfortunately does not show this information, only the "basic" information you can normally get with DeviceIoControl (Runtime, Charge, Serial Number, etc).

The new UPS is connected to the PC (Windows 10) via USB, exactly like the old one. APC PowerChute is not installed since their drivers replace the normal Windows HID battery drivers.

If I connect the old SUA2200I, I can see the power load, temperature, for that unit as I could before, but when I connect the new SMT2200IC that information is absent - could this be an 'issue' with AIDA64 and the new APC UPSs, the new UPS not transmitting that information, or both?

I searched around a bit (and here I am completely out of my depth) before posting here and managed to find some forum posts with more people complaining about the missing info, but they were all from users using unRAID or APCUPSD under Linux. Apparently they could solve the issue by enabling a communication protocol called ModBus on the UPS itself (which comes disabled by default). Not sure if this has anything to do with the issue given that the UPS is connected via USB on a Windows 10 system and not a serial cable.

I never-the-less did try enabling ModBus in the UPS Advanced menu but it apparently made no difference? Also, looking at the User Guide and the settings I have available in the UPS, it seems the UPS itself is missing some ModBus configuration settings? In the UPS I could only find settings to enable/disable ModBus and set the ModBus device ID (currently set to 1), and I don't even know if this has anything to do with AIDA64 not being able to get the required info or not lol.

I did try contacting APC/Schneider Electric here in Portugal but the tech I talked to had no idea either.

What say you? You are my only hope, Obi Wan. :)

It'd be important to find out if there's any tool (software) under Windows that can monitor your UPS in its current state.  We have zero experience with ModBus, so I could only ask you to try issuing a dump, but that may not work out in case the HID Smart Battery API is unsupported by your device :(  If you want to check that though, please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> System Debug --> Battery Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Thanks,
Fiery

Thanks for the reply, Fiery.

I think this is the result of APC/Schneider Electric switching to the Modbus protocol and for some reason no longer providing all the information the older SmartUPS models did when using the Microsoft HDI Battery driver.

My guess is that APC's own PowerChute software would display this extended information, but I don't want to install it because Powerchute replaces the Windows HID drivers with APC's own proprietary drivers.

I was basically wondering if you guys knew anything about this Modbus protocol, as judging by what I read in those Linux forums the software must support it in order to get the extended information. Since you don't, there is nothing to do (unless you want to look into it in the future to fully support APC SMT series of Smart UPSs).

No idea why APC are no longer also passing the information via the HID Smart Battery API as they did in the previous models (or if that can even be done while also using Modbus), guess I will have to pop that question on their own forums.

See here:

http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/#modbus-driver

11 hours ago, JcRabbit said:

Thanks for the reply, Fiery.

I think this is the result of APC/Schneider Electric switching to the Modbus protocol and for some reason no longer providing all the information the older SmartUPS models did when using the Microsoft HDI Battery driver.

My guess is that APC's own PowerChute software would display this extended information, but I don't want to install it because Powerchute replaces the Windows HID drivers with APC's own proprietary drivers.

I was basically wondering if you guys knew anything about this Modbus protocol, as judging by what I read in those Linux forums the software must support it in order to get the extended information. Since you don't, there is nothing to do (unless you want to look into it in the future to fully support APC SMT series of Smart UPSs).

No idea why APC are no longer also passing the information via the HID Smart Battery API as they did in the previous models (or if that can even be done while also using Modbus), guess I will have to pop that question on their own forums.

See here:

http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/#modbus-driver

We'll order a SMT Series PSU in order to help us work on implementing the Modbus protocol in AIDA64.  I'll let you know about our progress in this topic.

3 minutes ago, JcRabbit said:

Wow. That is far more than I ever expected. Thanks, Fiery. :)

Please give us a few weeks to complete that task though, since even acquiring the device will take at least a week due to low supplies/stock at local dealers on such specific products.

11 minutes ago, JcRabbit said:

No worries, I am a developer myself so I won't be pestering you about this lol. You have all the time in the world. :)

Thank you, it's always great to bump into and work together with other developers :)