AIDA64 reports incorrect BIOS information on an EFI-booted system

code65536

I have a HP ProBook 4530s. This system's firmware is UEFI and it supports EFI booting (i.e., with a GPT drive, and Windows uses an EFI bootloader). When Windows is installed and boots using EFI, AIDA64 does not display anything for the "DMI BIOS Vendor" and "DMI BIOS Version". Furthermore, it displays an incorrect BIOS date of "09/14/11".

On this exact same system with the exact same UEFI, if I use legacy boot (i.e., a drive partitioned with MBR, and Windows uses a regular bootloader), AIDA64 reports the correct information for all three fields--vendor, version (68SRR Ver. F.27), and date.

Furthermore, Windows' built-in information tool (msinfo32.exe) does not appear to have this problem; it correctly reports the BIOS vendor, version, and date in both legacy and EFI boot modes.

I suppose it's because AIDA64 is unable to read DMI tables from BIOS when EFI boot is used. AIDA64 implements several methods to do that, but maybe on your system in EFI mode all of them fails to provide the right DMI tables. In such case AIDA64 will revert back to reading DMI tables from the classic BIOS range (F000 segment). And even though EFI systems use emulated classic BIOS segments, they sometimes forget to update the BIOS date and BIOS version there. If it's possible, please submit 2 reports from AIDA64 (main menu / Report / Submit Report To FinalWire), one in EFI boot mode, the other in legacy boot mode. At the report submit make sure to put your forum nick name into the Name field, and "code65536 BIOS date issue" in the Comment field. Please also indicate in the Comment field which boot mode was it for.

Thanks,

Fiery