ASUS Maximus V Extreme + AIDA64 - unexpected restarts/shutdowns at idle with AIDA64 in background

feniks

AIDA64 2.70 (latest revision)

System:

3770K any clock, including stock

Asus Maximus V Extreme only with BIOSes above 704 revision

2x4GB Mushkin 996990 RAM

2x GTX 670 SLI (8x/8x native PCIe 3.0)

240Gb Mushkin Chronos SSD + 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 + 1.5TB WD Caviar Green

windows 7 x64 SP1 (up to date)

Would like to know what might be causing my system (otherwise perfectly stable) to perform a near hardware crash whenever I leave AIDA64 2.70 running in background.

Problem happens only at extended idle (at least 1 hour into idle) and also at stock CPU speed and default (1333) memory configuration.

The only monitoring software running on system is:

a) RealTemp TI

B) EVGA Precision X 3.0.4

c) AIDA64 2.70

d) NOTE: There is no Asus Ai Suite installed!

Symptoms when I leave AIDA64 running in background AND board BIOS is flashed with any newer BIOS than revision 704:

1) System at prolonged idle might perform an unexpected restart without a BSOD

2) System at prolonged idle might forcefully perform an unexpected powerdown (without a BSOD) with inability to power up later until the PSU gets cycled off & on (then it runs normally).

Those problems do not exist when I do not run AIDA64.

Those problems do not happen when I run AIDA64 with the board flashed with BIOS 704.

1) Are you running AIDA64 v2.70 stable release, or the latest beta release available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild2260kdjhw1xz8bzip

2) Have you tried what happens without EVGA Precision X and RealTemp?

3) Have you tried to switch the Asus ATKEX option in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability? Please note that you need to restart AIDA64 after altering any option on the Stability page.

Thanks,

Fiery

I've got exactly the same situation same mobo (bios 1604) msi gtx lightning 680 x2 SLI, cpu 2600k, both at stock & watercooled to 4.7Ghz. Main differance is I'm on win 8 x64.

But same symptoms. Ive opened a ticket but still waiting. I've tried both stable & beta. I;ve tried with msi on & off plus the stability check box is also done. No other monitoring or overclocking software running.

I'm afarid this ones a show stopper for me, hope it gets fixed soon, since I've only just bought the software. & can't use it till it gets fixed.

My ticket has been open since the 4th, but they have been good enough to make the suggestions that's been mentioned above. Perhaps if you too open a ticket it will help find a fix as clearly it's not an isolated incident, and appears to be something about this particular mobo.

Hi Fiery,

I am running the latest official stable AIDA64 EE, not beta.

the version reported is software is 2.70.2200

I am yet to test combinations of background programs running or AIDA settings as recommended.

So far, I've been able to confirm exact same trouble when running MVE board BIOS 1604 as well.

Also, I am actually about to use a spare hard drive to install a fresh WIn8 pro x64 on Saturday, with only drivers and AIDA64 and see if I can replicate the problem this way.

Sorry about the late reply, but I haven't received the reply notification email, just checked in here manually right now.

Here is the thread in ASUS ROG forums where I've been trying to figure it out together with Raja@ASUS, but since no other MVE users confirmed it, the issue seemed like it was limited to only my setup so far, here's the thread link, I keep updating that thread with new findings (quite thorough hardware testing already performed throughout last week):

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27556-Maximus-V-Extreme-Possible-1501-BIOS-conflict-with-AIDA64-EE-monitoring-in-background&goto=newpost

NOTE: ASUS ROG forums is severely timing out since yesterday, it's very frustrating at times to even see the thread currently.

1) Are you running AIDA64 v2.70 stable release, or the latest beta release available at:

http://www.aida64.co...60kdjhw1xz8bzip

2) Have you tried what happens without EVGA Precision X and RealTemp?

3) Have you tried to switch the Asus ATKEX option in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability? Please note that you need to restart AIDA64 after altering any option on the Stability page.

Thanks,

Fiery

Hi StackOverFlow!

Thank you so much for this reply! At least now I know, I am not alone on this and msot likely thsi rules out a hardware issue as we have both tested general stability of our hardware components, and I believe on this as I did the same and yet can't find the solution.

I have confirmed the issue to exist when running MVE with BIOSes 1501 and 1604 as well whenever using AIDA64 EE 2.70 in background, have yet to try suggestions posted bny Fiery, please do the same and post back buddy :)

Might open a ticket soon with AIDA64 tech support, but given the general look of the problem, most techs would assume those are isolated issues, that's the treatment I am getting in ASUS ROG forums so far from Raja@ASUS (good fella, I understand his point of view anyways) ... and getting frustrated with it ... as well as with lagging forum server over there LOL.

Please, if you can, sign up and post in ROG thread (when it works) if you can. I believe the issue is much broader than our two setups, it could be something common in conflict here that we both use and not others ... or something else, some glitch somewhere, either in AIDA64 or some other software running together with it, not sure.

I've got exactly the same situation same mobo (bios 1604) msi gtx lightning 680 x2 SLI, cpu 2600k, both at stock & watercooled to 4.7Ghz. Main differance is I'm on win 8 x64.

But same symptoms. Ive opened a ticket but still waiting. I've tried both stable & beta. I;ve tried with msi on & off plus the stability check box is also done. No other monitoring or overclocking software running.

I'm afarid this ones a show stopper for me, hope it gets fixed soon, since I've only just bought the software. & can't use it till it gets fixed.

My ticket has been open since the 4th, but they have been good enough to make the suggestions that's been mentioned above. Perhaps if you too open a ticket it will help find a fix as clearly it's not an isolated incident, and appears to be something about this particular mobo.

Fiery, in AIDA64 2.70.2200 I see no such option "Asus ATKEX" under Preferences/Stability. the only thing which relates to ASUS is called "SMBus access through ACPI (ASUS motherboards)" and that is unchecked.

should I update to latest Beta and re-test?

for now I stopped Evga Prec X and RT and left AIDA running, will see later if my system crashes at long idle (be back iona few hours).

Fiery, in AIDA64 2.70.2200 I see no such option "Asus ATKEX" under Preferences/Stability. the only thing which relates to ASUS is called "SMBus access through ACPI (ASUS motherboards)" and that is unchecked.

should I update to latest Beta and re-test?

Yes, you need the latest AIDA64 beta to have that option.

Yes, you need the latest AIDA64 beta to have that option.

OK thanks. I started the latest beta and left it running at default settings (ASUS ATKEX sensor support enabled), no other monitoring software present (closed EVGAPX and RTTI). will see how it goes, but based on stackoverflow's experience I am not holding my breath.

I also filed a ticket with AIDA64 Support describing the issue and linking back to this thread.

Hi Feniks,

Just to give u as much info as poss. Ive tried fierys tips plus those from tech support no change. I also ran with & without ai suite installed. With and without speedfan and coretemp installed still the same.

We are both on differant bios versions. Only similar thing apart from mobo is we run gtx600's in sli and both have ssd's. our os's are different too but both are x64

I can only conclude its something in aida64 and this particular mobo as everything is stable without aida64.

Im already a member over at rog forum but can't get in at all at the momemt.

Did u get my pm?

Fiery. I too am not getting any notification emails for any of my other posts either. can you assist?

thanks stackoverflow.

For some strange reason I am not receiving any kind of email notifications from this forums (no, it's not in Junk, I checked). will get to that PM in a second via forums interface.

I agree, our OS are different, but win8 x64 is just a minor upgrade (save for Metro UI) over win7 x64, not so far apart. that's a difference however, I agree.

The Ai Suite conflict was the first thing suggesteg in ROG Forums, but I don't have it installed (had it in past but removed everything some time ago).

Other suggestion from Raja@ASUS, apart from CPU instability problem (I say impossible unless this CPU really hates AIDA LOL!) he suggested also shutting off all other monitoring software that I normally run (and yet it never was a problem on 704 BIOS for this board).

however in last post (read it before the ASUS ROG webserver crapped out around noon) he also suggested checking on C-States vs SSD stability which *could* be related to those newer BIOSes (I am now on 1604 as well) and AIDA64 triggering it somehow ... well, my point in that thread was exactly that all along among those lines (new BIOS vs AIDA conflict), so generally he agreed with it at some point. so here I am in AIDA64 forums trying to solve that riddle ...

That being said, just to check, do you keep C-States (C3, C6 and Package C-state) on default auto or manually disabled (since most SSDs benefit from this setting)?

so to rule out motherboard hardware fault I have to ask, did you have such problems with older BIOS, e.g. 704 (or older) and AIDA running?

I didn't, which brings me to thinking that something in microcode of new UEFI BIOSes (1501+ or even probably 1309+) is trigerring the near hardware failure on electrical level when AIDA64 monitoring runs, perhaps it's about some sensor polling problem ... but since there is no BSOD when fault happens there is no way to tell what exactly caused it ....

Fiery, can we enable some debugging options in AIDA64 which could help pinpoint the case (if that is inside AIDA64) that causes board failure (sort of electrical lockup or sudden restart)?

Hi Feniks,

Just to give u as much info as poss. Ive tried fierys tips plus those from tech support no change. I also ran with & without ai suite installed. With and without speedfan and coretemp installed still the same.

We are both on differant bios versions. Only similar thing apart from mobo is we run gtx600's in sli and both have ssd's. our os's are different too but both are x64

I can only conclude its something in aida64 and this particular mobo as everything is stable without aida64.

Im already a member over at rog forum but can't get in at all at the momemt.

Did u get my pm?

Fiery. I too am not getting any notification emails for any of my other posts either. can you assist?

I just installed ASUS BIOS 1805 on my ASUS P877 V PRO motherboard. When I run AIDA64, I get exactly the same result. The computer shuts down and I have to cycle the power supply power switch before I can restart. If I don't run AIDA64, I have no issues.

I just installed ASUS BIOS 1805 on my ASUS P877 V PRO motherboard. When I run AIDA64, I get exactly the same result. The computer shuts down and I have to cycle the power supply power switch before I can restart. If I don't run AIDA64, I have no issues.

wow! so it's not limited to Maximus V Extreme boards? is the latest 1805 BIOS for P877VPRO with UEFI enhacements for windows 8 compatibility (and "stability improvements" in release notes)?

on my side I can update that the propblem re-occured on beta AIDA64 running, 1604 BIOS here, no other monitoring software was running (I closed all others like EVGAPX and RTTI)... it's not purely AIDA64 that is trigerring it tho ... here's the thing. I started it using remote desktop session (TeamViewer connection) while at work and it kept idling for 5 hours with no trouble at 4.9GHz (my daily CPU overclock, rock solid, trust me on this) and I though, so the case is solved!

... Then I got back home, literally 15 minutes ago, powered up monitor (all running good) and disabled headphones from the integrated audio (Front Panel jacks), started Pandora radio app on speakers connected to rear IO and used the system for maybe 5 minutes at idle (was typing a PM to a friend in Firefox browser) ... mind it was idling then, literally zero load (save for Pandora playing) ... and then bam! it suddenly shutdown on its own without BSOD and I wasn't able to power it up again until I cycled the PSU

... I also cleared CMOS and entered BIOS to only adjust my exhaust fan speed (rest is hooked up to external hardware controller), left everything at default stock like CPU, memory at 1333 ... upon WIndows logon I heard lagging audio sound, never happened again once in desktop and all is normal gain ... wth ... My bet is on bugged BIOS and AIDA merely triggering it ... not sure what to think about the Realtek audio driver (latest official version here) now though ... perhaps this is what is conflicting with AIDA?

Hi Feniks:

Just posted over at ROG: Won't be the audio as I run Asus Xonar D2X. Agree its bios bug and/or aida combo.

My c-states are default don't seem to need to change them as I can get a stable 4.8GHz at 50c, is this how yours is?

I'll try & chase u back over at ROG see how you get on with the fresh install. So no we 4 reported people including Grymmie over at ROG.

Do you think it's worth downgrading bios to 0704?

Fiery, can we enable some debugging options in AIDA64 which could help pinpoint the case (if that is inside AIDA64) that causes board failure (sort of electrical lockup or sudden restart)?

I'm afraid there's no such debugging feature in AIDA64 that could "catch" such a weird issue :( However, can you please try the following:

1) Leave the new BIOS in the board (do not downgrade to 0704)

2) Install AI Suite II (latest release)

3) Restart the system

4) Start AIDA64, make sure to have the Asus ATKEX option enabled in main menu / File / Preferences / Stability. If you alter that option, then you need to restart AIDA64.

5) Then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

That way we could check what happens with AI Suite installed. That seems to be the only way on this board (with the new BIOS) to make AIDA64 stable, since when AI Suite is installed, AIDA64 skips its low-level EC (Embedded Controller) communications and instead call an AI Suite component (ATKEX) to gather sensor readings. However, there's a slim chance with the new BIOS our ATKEX code fails to work for some reason. Having the ISA Sensor Dump on hand may enable us to verify that theory.

Thanks,

Fiery

Thanks for suggestion Fiery, I can go ahead and test that theory, because I am running a temporary OS now ... however since I removed the SSD from system (running on old spinner drive) ... now there seems to be no problem LOL! ... let me backup & restore it on SSD, so all variables are closer to real life environment. then I will test what you said.

I'm afraid there's no such debugging feature in AIDA64 that could "catch" such a weird issue :( However, can you please try the following:

1) Leave the new BIOS in the board (do not downgrade to 0704)

2) Install AI Suite II (latest release)

3) Restart the system

4) Start AIDA64, make sure to have the Asus ATKEX option enabled in main menu / File / Preferences / Stability. If you alter that option, then you need to restart AIDA64.

5) Then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

That way we could check what happens with AI Suite installed. That seems to be the only way on this board (with the new BIOS) to make AIDA64 stable, since when AI Suite is installed, AIDA64 skips its low-level EC (Embedded Controller) communications and instead call an AI Suite component (ATKEX) to gather sensor readings. However, there's a slim chance with the new BIOS our ATKEX code fails to work for some reason. Having the ISA Sensor Dump on hand may enable us to verify that theory.

Thanks,

Fiery

reposting what I posted in ASUS ROG thread.

interestingly the clean w8 install (ai suite was never installed on it) which I restored on ssd doesn't cause trouble so far. been keeping aida64 running at all times, comp has been up for 3 hours and I left it idling alone at least 3 times, half an hour each time.

I will install some more of my daily apps and maybe a game or two so I can occupy myself with something, maybe watch a movie and leave it idling over night and report back.

have we all having trouble used Ai Suite at one point (even if uninstalled later)? it seems leaves something behind even after full uninstall and cleanup with REVO Uninstaller (that's what I used to get rid off it, couldn't uninstall USB3.0 Boost normally) ...

Hi Fiery/Admistrator I already posted my sensor dumps on my ticket a week ago. Is there any way we can chase tickets? There only appears to be an option to open a new ticket.

On another issue also ticket has been raised, I can confirm that opt1 & opt2 fan sensors become available if ai suite is uninstalled completely. If Ai suite is installed only the chasis fans & opt1 is available. However if sensor recorder or sensor monitor are disabled then all opt fans become unavailble in aida64.

If however you Disable Asus HM Com service & leave Asus Com service to auto, then all opt fans become available to aida64. However only do this once fan profile is set as trying to launch fanxpert will cause ai suite to crash. so set Asus HM service to manual. Then start ai suite, do whatever changes you need then disable again.

Also Uninstalling As aisuite is not enough as this still leaves behind both the HM service & com service running. These need to be manually deleted. This is why at first glance uninstallig AI made no differance, but on a clean build it was fine.

As far as I can work out aida64 is perfectly stable as long as the HM service is disabled. However I would appreciate feedback from others. If this is definitely the case (i mean a big IF). Then perhaps the good guys over at tech could like at this aspect?

Fiery: Do you want me to upload the logs of with aisuite installed and all services set to on/auto here or is it suffient for it with the support ticket already raised/sent?

I can confirm that on my ASUS P877 V PRO motherboard when the Asus HM service is not running, the AIDA64 problem that I was having does not recur. Since this problem is recent, I suspect that a Microsoft Windows update may have altered the environment that ASUS HMcom service and AIDA64 was stable in. I am running Win 7 64 bit.

it's the ASUS HM COM service, because the other two ASUS services I have (COM and Control) were installed together with ROG OC Key while there was no Ai Suite present. the third one got added (ASUS HM) after Ai Suite installation.

for a moment I was gettnig erratic sensor polling from Ai Probe, but noticed that AIDA had ATKEX disabled in settings, that could cause conflict right? enabled ATKEX and now let both apps running.

edited above post with sensor dump from win8, however I don't know if problem occurs here yet, because Ai Suite was just installed.

soon I will be going back to win7 (restoring from image) for a few days and can re-dump sensors debug from that system (problem was happening frequently with AIDA).

also, I use only 3 fan headers on the MB, but I can see Chassis Fan3 and OPT3 (and CPU FAN RPM) with no trouble in both aida64 and Ai Suite ... I also use OPT2 temp sensor and it is visible as well.

OK I think I have it. I know why Feniks works and others not.

Specifically it is Fan xpert which is causing the problems. I have installed & reinstalled ai suite componets in differant combinations, in all cases, once fan xpert is installed & configured, (if it's not configured then all is ok) the crashes begin & the opt fans go missing (in mine at least).

Can anyone else verify?

Administrator/Fiery Can you assist now?

yup, it's confirmed, both Stackoverflow and I were able to replicate the issue whenever the Ai Suite component "Fan Xpert" gets installed (doesn't matter if it gets uninstalled later).

it seems this component alters the ASUS HM COM service in some way to allow for modifying the fan control dynamically in Windows (that surely happens on voltage level of motherboard through the BIOS).

simple uninstallation of the whole Ai Suite leaves behind the corrupted ASUS HM COM service which then conflicts with AIDA64 sensor polling (yes, ATKEX was enabled).

The workaround is to manually delete the ASUS HM COM service from elevated command line after the uninstallation of the whole Ai Suite (it can be re-installed later without Fan Xpert module), by means of those commands:

1) uninstall Ai Suite completely, NOTE if USB3.0 Boost hangs on uninstall (was happening to me on windows 7x64) then close the application and start over re-installing everything except USB3.0 Boost, then use REVO Uninstaller to remove all the leftovers, restart system after that.

2) from elevated command prompt type command (first one stop the ASUS HM COM service, second one removes it)

NET STOP ASHMCOMSVC

SC DELETE ASHMCOMSVC

I included the ISA Sensor dump from my testing box (fresh win8x64 with whole AI suite + AIDA64 latest beta running) after the problem occurred.

win8_crash_isasensordump.txt