This isn't necessarily a bug report - test AIDA64 with Synaptics SMBus driver on 7-series chipset

Squall Leonhart

Hi Fiery, this isn't a bug report as so much a notification that i have experienced SMBus hangs using some tools on laptops with a synaptic touch pad on the device otherwise (without the synaptic driver installed) marked as Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 1E22.

I can readily reproduce this with CPU-Z and other cpu-id tools that access the smbus on the notebook in question (Toshiba P850, but it has been indicated to affect others), but have not yet had the chance to try and reproduce it under aida64

• 3 weeks later...

I am on a system that does have an Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family and I am having issues with aida64 on this system. For example, when aida64 launches and finally displays, the information on the right hand side of the software slowly fills in, then pauses and the slowly refreshes the info again, and then will respond normally, until i look at certain section of the software. During this slow loading of info, the CPU usage and temps are very high. Also, aida64 does not recognize the BIOS at all, just blank. And while trying to view BIOS information, the program becomes sluggish and cpu usage and temps spike up again until the software finally settles down again.

Also, when trying Tools>Aida64 CPUID, only the top half of the information loads and then the program completely freezes.

If you need any dumps or anything, let me know.

(this information pertains to builds 2.70.2200 to present beta)(did not test on older builds)

-edit: just after i finished this post, the "sensor" page decided to "detecting sensor information" again on it's own and is now stuck doing that for about 5 minutes

I am on a system that does have an Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 1E2D (and -1E26) and I am having issues with aida64 on this system.

[...]

Can you please tell us more about this system? Motherboard model, CPU type, any external disk drives connected? Is it running Win7 64-bit?

the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378. http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/S850/S855-S5378/

no external drives connected. OS for the moment is Windows 8 (not pro or wmc or enterprise) and is 64-bit.

Processor is intel 3630QM. CPU Stepping E1/L1/N0/P0. rPGA 988B

aida64 (Motherboard>Motherboard) shows the motherboard model as Toshiba Satellite S855

Computer>DMI>Motherboard show

Manufacturer    TOSHIBA
Product    Portable PC
Version    MP
Serial Number    1

Motherboard>Chipset>North Bridge: Intel Ivy Bridge-MB IMC>

Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge Intel Ivy Bridge-MB IMC
Intel Platform Chief River
Supported Memory Types DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600, DDR3-1866 SDRAM
Revision 09
Process Technology 22 nm

Motherboard>Chipset>South Bridge: Intel Panther Point HM76>

Field Value
South Bridge Properties
South Bridge Intel Panther Point HM76
Intel Platform Chief River
Revision / Stepping 04 / C1
Package Type 989 Pin FCBGA
Package Size 25 mm x 25 mm
Process Technology 65 nm
Core Voltage 1.05 V
TDP 4.1 W

also, the SMBus Host Controller - 1E2D (and -1E26) can be disregarded. that was for the usb host controller.

the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378. http://us.toshiba.co...850/S855-S5378/

no external drives connected. OS for the moment is Windows 8 (not pro or wmc or enterprise) and is 64-bit.

Processor is intel 3630QM. CPU Stepping E1/L1/N0/P0. rPGA 988B

Thank you. Please try to disable Toshiba TVALZ sensor support in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability. Let me know if it makes any difference.

disabling that did make the program stop being sluggish. However, the program still stops responding when trying to use Tools>AIDA64 CPUID. About 2/3 of the information appears before it hangs.

post-13-0-58961400-1353977890_thumb.png

Actually, disabling that only quickened the time it takes for the sensor information to show. However, the software still continues to be sluggish. It is currently not useful to use the software on this laptop at this time as somethings just take forever to display at first, or when navigating to different sections of the software.

Thank you. I'm afraid we haven't been able to figure out the cause of the sluggishness on your system so far :( If it's possible, please try to disable the HWMon Modules one-by-one, and let me know which module you reckon could be behind the slowness. You can disable HWMon Modules in the right-click menu on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window.

Thank you. I'm afraid we haven't been able to figure out the cause of the sluggishness on your system so far :( If it's possible, please try to disable the HWMon Modules one-by-one, and let me know which module you reckon could be behind the slowness. You can disable HWMon Modules in the right-click menu on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window.

I did as you suggested. one item unchecked at a time. Two of those items being unchecked brought aida64 to a crawl, but that is irrelevant actually. However, I re-enabled the toshiba sensor as it did not make any difference on the sluggishness.

I have ran the program with admin priv's in the compatibility tab of the exe and without admin priv's. neither affected the performance. I was about to give up completely until I accidently made the sluggish sensor reading/sensor page displays not be sluggish anymore. I enabled OSD. Having the OSD enabled eliminated the sluggishness. I do not know why that would be the case. *scratches head on that one* Can you understand why it would be sluggish with no OSD enabled? Makes no sense to me.

Still cant get aida64 to identify my BIOS and AIDA64 CPUID continues to lock up the program when trying to read/display the BIOS. I will add some info on this matter. When AIDA64 CPUID does lock up, the cpu load is 100% Even though I cant see that from the softwar, my cpu fan kicks on to maximum speed and the air coming out is very very hot.

And when viewing Motherboard>BIOS (shows unknown) the program becomes sluggish, cpu utilization and temps jump all over the place for about 5 seconds, then returns to normal.

Maybe the unknown BIOS is to blame for all this?

I just downloaded the latest beta and will poke around that a bit. When i report back, I will display my bios information that I find when I go into my bios on startup next.

Newest beta performs the same way.

I have the BIOS information now. Odd thing is last week when I was in IRC chat, I decided to use darkengine 4.0 beta 18 to show my bios information. It did list my BIOS type and version, although I thought it was wrong. Turns out it was spot on. In my BIOS it shows:

Insyde H20 (maybe H2O?) - setup utility rev. 3.5
BIOS version 6.30
EC version 6.10

It is UEFI BIOS

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any progress in getting aida64 to recognize my bios?

I have updated my bios to 6.40 and the newest beta of aida64 and it still does not recognize the bios and I must still have OSD on in order for aida64 to be stable most of the time it is running. It has it's periods of sluggishness then returning to responsive.

AIDA64 CPU still has issues filling in the form data. It will become extremely slow while trying to fill in the data of the mother board section. It will list the motherboard name after a few minutes, but will not fill in any more data, and while it is in that state, cpu speed will fluctuate in the aida64 cpuid window. it will go from 1.6GHz to 3.4, and the cpu usage is terribly high and temps skyrocket during those times, and the cpu fan kicks on maximum and pushes out very hot air. The program will not crash until I click the close button. If I do not close AIDA64 CPUID, it will continue to to make the cpu clocks rise and fall and temps rise and fall.

Why is it taking so long to get this issue resolved?

Is there any progress in getting aida64 to recognize my bios?

I have updated my bios to 6.40 and the newest beta of aida64 and it still does not recognize the bios and I must still have OSD on in order for aida64 to be stable most of the time it is running. It has it's periods of sluggishness then returning to responsive.

AIDA64 CPU still has issues filling in the form data. It will become extremely slow while trying to fill in the data of the mother board section. It will list the motherboard name after a few minutes, but will not fill in any more data, and while it is in that state, cpu speed will fluctuate in the aida64 cpuid window. it will go from 1.6GHz to 3.4, and the cpu usage is terribly high and temps skyrocket during those times, and the cpu fan kicks on maximum and pushes out very hot air. The program will not crash until I click the close button. If I do not close AIDA64 CPUID, it will continue to to make the cpu clocks rise and fall and temps rise and fall.

Why is it taking so long to get this issue resolved?

I'm sorry for the delays. I've just sent you a private message about this issue.

• 1 month later...

We've fixed an issue in the BIOS detection module of AIDA64.  I hope it will fix the issues on your system.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild2327vtb1dhc3yjzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...