Mouse and System Lag

Polite Master

Hi AIDA64 Forums,

I just downloaded AIDA64 to redo my overclock. When running the stress test (with and without GPU), I am experiencing extreme lag. It will take 4 seconds for AIDA64 to respond to a click (e.g. monitoring tabs and stopping the stress test). Also, my mouse will jump from place to place when trying to move it.

I have used AIDA64 once before and do not remember this behavior. Is it abnormal, and if so, please kindly assist.

Thank you in advance!

- Polite Master

Intel i7-3770K (currently default BIOS/overclock settings)

Windows 7 64-bit

Tried:

- AIDA64 Extreme Edition 3.00.2500

- AIDA64 Extreme Edition 2.85.2460 Beta

- Turned on/off RAID SMART support, according to similar discussion

That lag is there when you have the GPU subtest enabled in the AIDA64 System Stability Test.  The lag is caused by the video driver, when a heavy OpenCL GPGPU computation load is in progress.  The GPU stress test uses such a task to drive the GPU(s) to maximum performance and heat them up as much as possible.

Regards,

Fiery

Hi Fiery,

Thank you for your fast response. I do notice that when the GPU stress test is off, I see less lag. However, there is still a substantial amount of lag while running a CPU-only stress test. I need to gauge whether that is a typical AIDA64 experience. The computer I am setting up is high end, and I want to proceed with the overclock responsibly. Could you offer thoughts about this lag while running the CPU stress tests.

Sincerely,

Polite Master

To add:

In trying to investigate more, I attempted running a benchmark via Report Wizard. During the benchmark, my computer will not crash, but it is completely unusable (the lag is more persistent). This behavior concerns me, as other stress tests (Prime95, Cinebench, 3D synthetics) do not result in this issue.

I also noticed there is a thread on the forums regarding problems with Asus mainboards and AI Suite: http://forums.aida64.com/topic/1155-asus-maximus-v-extreme-aida64-unexpected-restartsshutdowns-at-idle-with-aida64-in-background/ . This system has both, and while the symptoms are different, I thought to say this.

You can try uninstalling AI Suite II to see if it causes any lags, but most of the lags during benchmarking and stressing your system are simply caused by the benchmark module of AIDA64 that really and actually uses up 100% of system resources.  So there's very little system resource left for the Windows management subsystem and the rest of the operating system functions.