Benchmark reporting CPU Throttling

TheAJ

After running AIDA64's Benchmark through the 'Report Wizard', my tests all passed and everything was good - until I looked at the Stability test graphs..

The graph indicates that my CPU went to 91C, and reports "CPU Throttling - Overheating Detected!". The CPU (not the CPU cores) bumped up to 91C during an Floating Point Unit benchmark, but quickly came back down.

Should I be worried? The CPU Throttling graph line also never moved. It stayed in 0%.

Here's some pictures:

4EzHSuA.png

afCkcRq.png

Thank you in advance for the help

91 Celsius is quite high for a CPU, and throttling activity (be it 0% or more) is never good.  BTW, 0% throttling means "sub-1%" throttling, so it's still a bit amount of throttling.  If it's possible, you should definitely try to improve the cooling of your system.

Regards,

Fiery

It only reaches 91C for a slight second during an FPU benchmark test apart of the AIDA64 Report tool.

Also, I do have after market cooling (H100i) which should be sufficient enough for the amount of volts I'm giving the CPU

Here's is some more information on my PC:

Processor: i7-4770k (OC to 4.5GHz w/ 1.25v) using H100i Liquid Cooling

Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng. 1600 MHz

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H

I've tried FPU only stress test in AIDA and it does not reach 91C, nor does some other stress tests that really determines your highest heat output such as prime95

Haswell processors tend to reach very high temperatures under heavy load, and in many cases they start to throttle.  It's a drawback that comes from the combination of the FIVR (integrated voltage regulator) and the inadequate heat dissipation from the CPU core to the heatspreader.

In case you want to test your CPU for maximum thermal stress, then only enable the FPU subtest in the AIDA64 System Stability Test, and disable the rest of the subtests.

• 2 years later...

Hi I found this thread so I wanted to ask a question. I have skylake i-7 6700k and corsair h100i GTX and very similar to theAJ I got the same 0% or less than 1 overheating detected. My CPU reached 95C only for a second and was wondering if that's really as bad as you make it sound to be ? Any input is greatly appreciated. I ran the test for few hours and it only reached that temperature in the beginning because my fans were catching up to the temperature as it rose quickly in AIDA64. Here's a screenshot of the program running: http://prntscr.com/bf1hyt    Thanks in advance cheers =)

• 8 months later...
On ‎2017‎. ‎03‎. ‎08‎. at 2:01 AM, Haikal said:

my processor is intel core 2 duo. When i run stress test.. It show cpu overheating temperature reach at 89C .. And cpu throtling reach 100%- 50%. What should i do..?

For Core 2 processors I'd consider that a serious issue. Make sure to improve the CPU cooling and/or case cooling of your computer. A Core 2 processor should never throttle and heat up that much, even under heavy stress.

• 2 weeks later...

My PC shuts down sometimes out of nowhere. i thought it was because my computer was quite dirty and it was causing a overheat but after cleaning it i still suffer the same problem, i don't know how a CPU works, neither which would be consider a normal temperature stauts under heavy or no load at all and why this keep happening so any help or insight about the problem would be welcome.

Info:

QuadCore Intel Core i7-4790K, 4400 MHz (44 x 100) using a Corsair Hydro H100i

Asus Maximus VII Hero

8 GB Corsair Veng. 1600 MHz

58cdbfb327f4c_stabilitytest(CPUThrottling610).png.b13c55f53d7a17862ab9654a14608c6c.png

The averege "CPU throttling" was about about 6% to 10%

(Sorry for any mistakes english isn't my native language)

• 6 months later...

The last stability test that I tried to run, I received a warning in the graph that I was thermal throttling up to eight percent but the CPU usage was around 100 percent. I attenpted an overclock of 4.4 at 1.35v. I am not sure what I can do to reduce this throttling to the lowest possible number while still having a good overclock. I have ample room in my case for air cooling, but am using a custom watercooling loop with four radiators, and two of them are 360mm, 60mm thick radiators. I also notice some microstuttering during gameplay and am not sure if that has to do with my applied OC.

I will upload results if anyone one wants to see the System Stability Test graphs.

On ‎2017‎. ‎10‎. ‎05‎. at 4:53 AM, AntiKorper Viral said:

The last stability test that I tried to run, I received a warning in the graph that I was thermal throttling up to eight percent but the CPU usage was around 100 percent. I attenpted an overclock of 4.4 at 1.35v. I am not sure what I can do to reduce this throttling to the lowest possible number while still having a good overclock. I have ample room in my case for air cooling, but am using a custom watercooling loop with four radiators, and two of them are 360mm, 60mm thick radiators. I also notice some microstuttering during gameplay and am not sure if that has to do with my applied OC.

I will upload results if anyone one wants to see the System Stability Test graphs.

You can only get rid of throttling by improving the cooling of the CPU.  Since you already have a powerful solution, I'm not sure if there's more room for you to push the OC further.

As for microstuttering, that can be caused by a few issues, and one of those is when the CPU momentarily throttles to mitigate overheating.

• 1 month later...

Hi. i recently bought ASUS ROG GL553VD with Intel® Core i7 7700HQ CPU. (and GeForce 1050 GPU)

Its cooling system almost always works. so i decide to test it.

Under AIDA64 System Stability Test the graph shows "CPU Throttling - Overheating Detected!" and the red graph says max 45% or some times 50%. (the yellow -CPU Usage- graph reach 100% after test starts)

And CPU (and Cores) temp goes from about 60 degree before test begin to about 82-88 after 15 min into test.

Is there something wrong? is it needs to return to Guaranty? is there something i could do?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry for bad English.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎. ‎11‎. ‎18‎. at 12:12 AM, MJA said:

Hi. i recently bought ASUS ROG GL553VD with Intel® Core i7 7700HQ CPU. (and GeForce 1050 GPU)

Its cooling system almost always works. so i decide to test it.

Under AIDA64 System Stability Test the graph shows "CPU Throttling - Overheating Detected!" and the red graph says max 45% or some times 50%. (the yellow -CPU Usage- graph reach 100% after test starts)

And CPU (and Cores) temp goes from about 60 degree before test begin to about 82-88 after 15 min into test.

Is there something wrong? is it needs to return to Guaranty? is there something i could do?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry for bad English.

It's hard to provide proper feedback on that.  On the one hand, 45-50% throttling is quite a lot, so I'd take it as alarming.  However, since it's a brand new notebook, there shouldn't be any cooling issue due to hardware failure or dust clogging up the exhaust ports, etc.  So it may just be normal the way it is.  It may be worth checking what happens if you restart your computer, open AIDA64, open System Stability Test, but don't start any test there.  Just let it sit and watch as the throttling is monitored.  Now, start a game, play for 30 minutes, and check back to the System Stability Test whether it indicates that the computer was overheating without running a stress test but while playing a game.  If throttling exceeds 25% while playing a game, I'd take it back to the shop and inquire the sales persons about it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎. ‎05‎. ‎09‎. at 10:55 PM, joshthebossxxl said:

My notebook says it is thermal throttling which is incorrect and it is a bug (on the second image). When under load with fans not on max it still does not thermal throttle. I have in My case re-pasted My cpu because before it just had thermal pads and was overheating (stupid Manufacturer) And I have lightly pasted the VRM on the laptop. On the First image I see my CPU With 2 cores only being 66 degrees C and the other two being 81c

I'm not sure if you mean that the indication of thermal throttling is a bug in AIDA64 or something else.  If you're doubtful about the validity of the throttling reporting, you can check it with alternative monitoring software as well.  I'm sure they all will report the same amount of throttling though ;) 

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I would like to ask about if aida64 shows cpu throttle like 1% or more. Is there any chance that my cpu get damage or it is a safe test ?

I'm using a liquid coolant and everything looks great but i don't know why I'm getting throttle from the test.

This is my build:

Processor: i7 11700kf, Cooler: Nzxt kraken x63 280mm, Case: Nzxt H510 elite, Motherboard and rams: Gigabyte z590 ud, corsair vengeance pro 16gb