X99, at what temp it start throttling?

sblantipodi

Hi,

I noticed a strange behaviour on my Asus X99 Deluxe.

If I leave the default bios settings, cpu throttle at 100c, if I set the the maximum core temp in bios at 90c,

the cpu throttle at 85c.

Is it correct to say that the cpu throttle at -5c from what set in the bios? 
If yes, what is the default throttle temperature for other X99 motherboard on a 5820K, 5930K or 5960X?

During AIDA stress test my CPU hottest core goes up to 87c with an average maximum temp of 83c.

Is this something that I should worry about?

Thanks!

TJMax temperature depends on the actual CPU part. It is programmed into each CPU by Intel, and so it's not possible to tell what temperature a particular 5820K or any other modern Intel CPU would throttle at.

Regards,

Fiery

thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

are you saying that every CPU has a different throttle temperature?

so we could see a 5930K that throttle at 90c and another that throttle at 100c?

very strange to understand this concept but if you would like to elaborate I would be very interested in it since on the net there is not much information on this.

thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

are you saying that every CPU has a different throttle temperature?

In theory, yes. That's why there's a CPU register that stores the TJMax value for the actual CPU part. While in previous (pre-Core i3/i5/i7) Intel CPUs there was a common value for every CPU generation.

so we could see a 5930K that throttle at 90c and another that throttle at 100c?

Yes, that could happen, especially if they're not the same stepping.

very strange to understand this concept but if you would like to elaborate I would be very interested in it since on the net there is not much information on this.

The concept behind all this comes from the manufacturing properties of a certain batch of processors. Intel (and other CPU manufacturers as well) release a CPU using a certain stepping, a certain physical layout first, when the CPU debuts on the market. And then through the life of the CPU generation (in your case it's Haswell-E) Intel keeps improving the manufacturing process and develops new steppings. And in many cases those improvements effectively improve the thermal capabilities and/or the clock tolerancies of processors, and may enable using higher or lower TJMax values in the same time. It is especially important for mobile CPUs, but Intel also improves high-end desktop and server CPUs through their manufacturing lifetime as well.

your posts are very informative, thanks.

at what temp CPU starts throttling?

Suppose that my TJMAX is 100c, at what temp it will start to throttle?
Any my AIDA give a percentage of the throttle point?

In AIDA graphs I see 0% CPU throttle but if I raise the vcore a lot I can see 10% throttle point, what does it means 10%?
I tought that throttling was a bit things (zero or one), it throttle, it doesn't throttle, what does it means that it throttle at 10%?

Thanks!

your posts are very informative, thanks.

at what temp CPU starts throttling?

A couple of Celsius below TJMax. How much is "couple of"? Only Intel knows.

Any my AIDA give a percentage of the throttle point?

AIDA64 provides information on the TJMax value on the Motherboard / CPUID page. AFAIK it's not possible to detect at which point the CPU will actually start to throttle. But, you can use the FPU subtest of the AIDA64 System Stability Test to find that out.

In AIDA graphs I see 0% CPU throttle but if I raise the vcore a lot I can see 10% throttle point, what does it means 10%?

It means 10% of the time the CPU is throttling. So e.g. if you run the test for 1 second, the CPU will actually do work (processing, computing) for only 0.9 seconds. The remaining time is in the stalled state, so given that example, the CPU is not doing any work for 0.1 seconds out of 1 second.

I tought that throttling was a bit things (zero or one), it throttle, it doesn't throttle, what does it means that it throttle at 10%?

Yes, it is a bit, it is a state of the CPU. What AIDA64 does is: it checks that bit very frequently (100 times per second), and makes an average of those readings. So it will basically have 100 readings of the throttling state bit, and if 10 times out of 100 the throttling bit is 1 (meaning: throtting is active), it will calculate a 10% throttling value.