EVGA SR-2 Mobo, Fan Speeds & A53 BIOS

jabloomf1230

EVGA just updated the BIOS (A53) for the SR-2 motherboard and now the fan speed for the second CPU is no longer displayed either on the sensor page or as an option anywhere else in the preferences. Note that I am running 3 wire DC voltage fans on the CPUs. The CMOS setup program displays the CPU fans speeds properly, the CPU temps are fine and I can hear the fans change speed under load, so they are working. Full sensor dumps (1.70.1400)are attached. Thanks.

EVGA SR-2 A53.txt

The relevant fan RPM readout register of the secondary sensor chip shows an invalid RPM value. It looks like it's a BIOS issue -- maybe the BIOS only configures the sensor chips when you enter the BIOS Setup. We'll do more investigation about this issue, and will let you know in this topic if we could implement a workaround in AIDA64.

The relevant fan RPM readout register of the secondary sensor chip shows an invalid RPM value. It looks like it's a BIOS issue -- maybe the BIOS only configures the sensor chips when you enter the BIOS Setup. We'll do more investigation about this issue, and will let you know in this topic if we could implement a workaround in AIDA64.

Thanks. There was a lot of "pressure" from the enthusiast owners of the SR-2 to fix a number of BIOS issues (including fan settings), so maybe this specific correction wasn't done quite right. I'll post over at EVGA and see if anyone has any ideas.

I also noticed that the EVGA ELEET software (their hardware monitoring and OCing program) also now does not show the second CPU fan speed. However, hwmonitor does reads the fan PWM percents. hwmonitor also does not read the second CPU fan RPM.

J

Fan PWM percentage (also known as fan duty cycle) can be configured independently from the fan RPM readout. In other words, you can even configure and then detect a non-zero PWM percentage for a disconnected or stopped fan.

Thank you for testing the other software. When EVGA's own monitoring software (E-LEET) cannot measure the fan RPM, it means there's definitely something wrong with the sensor chip initialization by the BIOS :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Fiery

The SR-2 has an External Control Panel (ECP), that allows you to change certain settings (voltages and fan speeds via buttons). It turns out AIDA 64 is working fine. I determined this because the fan only runs at either full speed (when the the temperature gets warm enough) or not at all. I figured that out by pressing the 100% CPU fan speed button on the ECP. The AIDA64 displays the fan speed. Apparently when the fan is stopped, there is no information provided to the software regarding the fan speed. I suppose it would be better if it displayed "0 RPM", but that's neither here nor there.

@Squall Leonhart

ELEET is too buggy to use for much at all. I just thought that I would see if it would read the fan speed, since it is a piece of EVGA software.

The "0 RPM" display is a bit tricky, since a fan RPM register shows the same value when a connected fan is stopped, and when a fan header is disconnected (either deliberately or by accident). And when you have e.g. 6 fan headers on your motherboard, but you only use 1 fan header, you don't want to have 5 useless "0 RPM" entries listed on the Sensor page in AIDA64. Hence AIDA64 will only lists those fan headers that have a valid RPM reading.