Order of SSD display

tistou77

Hello

I have 2 Samsung NVMe SSDs (960 Pro and EVO)
I noticed that it is the disc 1 (EVO) which is the 1st displayed in the list, and the disc 0 (Pro) in 2nd

I have to reverse the disks and I have that

Disk 0 : 960 Pro / Disk 1 : 960 EVO

2.PNG.2bcd19b72672b67c3e77a9ffa9cfc243.PNG

Disk 0 : 960 EVO / Disk 1 : 960 Pro

1.PNG.0bd06fc77c33ec21502c59deff195aff.PNG

It's not important, but it will be possible to have the disc 0 first, in the list

Thanks

The ordering is determined by the order in the list of physical drives.  If you're unsure about why the ordering works the way it is on your system, please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> SMART Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. Based on that dump we can provide you further details on the order of your SSDs.

Thanks,
Fiery

Thank you.  The problem is that due to the way drives are enumerated, AIDA64 needs to sort the list in an alphabetical order (although it's a bit more complicated than that, but let's gloss over the non-important part here).  That makes your Evo drive appear in the list first.  The alphabetical order is necessary for AIDA64 to properly filter out redundant entries in the list of drives.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, Fiery said:

Thank you.  The problem is that due to the way drives are enumerated, AIDA64 needs to sort the list in an alphabetical order (although it's a bit more complicated than that, but let's gloss over the non-important part here).  That makes your Evo drive appear in the list first.  The alphabetical order is necessary for AIDA64 to properly filter out redundant entries in the list of drives.

If it's in alphabetical order, why is it "indicated" in that order for the Intel ?

In the SMART Dump, it's the Samsung on disk 0, yet it's Intel on disk 0 (Diskpart, Windows, device manager, etc ...)
Just to understand, on what Aida64 is based

Thanks

6 hours ago, tistou77 said:

If it's in alphabetical order, why is it "indicated" in that order for the Intel ?

In the SMART Dump, it's the Samsung on disk 0, yet it's Intel on disk 0 (Diskpart, Windows, device manager, etc ...)
Just to understand, on what Aida64 is based

Thanks

The order is alphabetical, but it has 3 groups, and the alphabetical order is only valid inside each group.

1) First group is the internally connected drives (IDE/ATA/SATA drives) that are not enumerated by the AIDA64 RAID module.  Usually those are the regular drives that everyone's got.

2) The second group is the internally connected drives that are either part of a RAID array, or not picked up by direct enumeration but only by the RAID module.  It's important to note that those drives are not necesserily part of a RAID array, and may not even be connected to a RAID controller.  I know, it's weird :)

3) The final group is the external drives (FireWire, USB, eSATA, Thunderbolt, etc).

If you post a current ATA Dump and SMART Dump, I can tell you more about the why's of the ordering.

And would it be possible for Aida64 to read the "name" of the SSD from the "FriendlyName" registry key ?

Not really a good idea, since then the driver may override the otherwise more explanatory model ID with something useless.  In your particular case (of the 280GB Optane 900P drive) it indeed would be useful though, but then again, it would be useful for many other SSDs that have no such "nice" model ID that can be understood by a glance, like for certain Samsung SSDs.

2 hours ago, Fiery said:

The order is alphabetical, but it has 3 groups, and the alphabetical order is only valid inside each group.

1) First group is the internally connected drives (IDE/ATA/SATA drives) that are not enumerated by the AIDA64 RAID module.  Usually those are the regular drives that everyone's got.

2) The second group is the internally connected drives that are either part of a RAID array, or not picked up by direct enumeration but only by the RAID module.  It's important to note that those drives are not necesserily part of a RAID array, and may not even be connected to a RAID controller.  I know, it's weird :)

3) The final group is the external drives (FireWire, USB, eSATA, Thunderbolt, etc).

If you post a current ATA Dump and SMART Dump, I can tell you more about the why's of the ordering.

Ok thanks for the explanation,
Here are the files, oddly it's the Samsung on disk 0, but for Diskpart, Device Manager, it's Intel on disk 0

atadump.txt   smartdump.txt

Diskpart.PNG.d87c829d19bba1eae1dcd686c801e0f2.PNG  5aff052d4c2a7_DeviceManager.PNG.2a57cb8c706b88a7ff79ebcad98d9e6d.PNG

Not really a good idea, since then the driver may override the otherwise more explanatory model ID with something useless.  In your particular case (of the 280GB Optane 900P drive) it indeed would be useful though, but then again, it would be useful for many other SSDs that have no such "nice" model ID that can be understood by a glance, like for certain Samsung SSDs.

Ok, so we go back to the customization of names (rename) probes, disks, etc ... in this menu :lol:
So that everyone can do as he wants

I'm sorry, I messed up the info on the alphabetical order.  It is sorted, but since the drives are numbered with indexes, those indexes override the model ID of each drive.  So if we gloss over the 3 groups issue (since your system only has drives in the first group), the order is the order that is dictated by the physical order of drives, as they are connected to their respective drive controllers, as well as the order of controllers.  Since Windows may or may not enumerate drive controllers in the same order as AIDA64, only the order of drives connected to a particular drive controller should match between AIDA64 and Windows.

Renaming of labels is available in OSD Panel, Desktop Gadget, SensorPanel, and external LCD modules.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Fiery said:

I'm sorry, I messed up the info on the alphabetical order.  It is sorted, but since the drives are numbered with indexes, those indexes override the model ID of each drive.  So if we gloss over the 3 groups issue (since your system only has drives in the first group), the order is the order that is dictated by the physical order of drives, as they are connected to their respective drive controllers, as well as the order of controllers.  Since Windows may or may not enumerate drive controllers in the same order as AIDA64, only the order of drives connected to a particular drive controller should match between AIDA64 and Windows.

Renaming of labels is available in OSD Panel, Desktop Gadget, SensorPanel, and external LCD modules.

Ok thanks for the explanation, even though I did not really understand why the Intel drive is between the 2 Samsung drives :)

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Fiery said:

Yes, I know but I'll wait until you integrate the customization (renamed) the names of the probes, etc ... in this menu ;)
and then it's easy to integrate :)

• 6 months later...