Help a techie scrub

foodmaniac

Hi everyone, I just recently heard of AIDA64, and so I decided to give it a shot at trying to diagnose what's wrong with my computer. Basically, every now and again, my computer crashes and resets. It basically shuts everything down and beeps like it would as if I pressed the reset button on my computer. This becomes very irritating for me when I'm trying to download something or play games (mostly the latter, as it crashes more frequently when I put stress on the computer)

When I first tried this software's stability test, my computer crashed after about 2 minutes, but in a different way. The screen froze and my speakers would repeat and annoying spitting sound (kind of like a rapper). I decided to try it again, and it hasn't crashed on me yet, although I've only been using it for 20 minutes (which is already better than 2). I've been going through this forum, and some of the things I've read are the following:

1) If your computer crashes during the stability test, then it's probably a hardware malfunction

2) Your CPU shouldn't be operating at higher than 70 degrees.

I took a screenshot of my tests:

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/foodmaniac/?action=view¤t=AIDA1.png

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/foodmaniac/?action=view¤t=AIDA2.png

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/foodmaniac/?action=view¤t=AIDA3.png

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/foodmaniac/?action=view¤t=AIDA4.png

Note that at 2:43:14 is when I decided to tick stress on all the options. Previously, I had only ticked FPU to see if the CPU throttle would increase. Also, I have read that you should try the stability test for a full 12 hours, which I will do after this post. I will post up the new results when it's done.

If anyone can tell me what is wrong with my computer, and how I can best fix the issue, then that would be greatly appreciated :)

I know that part of the issue is obviously overheating, but it is difficult for me to come up with a viable and cheap solution, as I don't have much experience with computer hardware. What effective solutions are there to computers overheating?

During the AIDA64 System Stability Test your processor was heating up too much. You need to improve the CPU cooling by cleaning and re-seating the CPU heatsink, getting a bigger (more efficient) CPU cooler, or by installing the rear exhaust case fan. In many cases the system chassis is too crowded (too many devices, too many cables), too small, or the rear exhaust cooling is missing.

Hmm... My computer already has a rear exhaust fan. I opened up my computer about a week ago and cleaned it out (it was absolutely filthy in there D:). There seemed to be a lot of loose cables running around, which might mean that the chassis is too crowded. I haven't cleaned the heatsink yet as I'm scared that if I take it out, I might destroy the computer's CPU completely.... However, I will look into those solutions. Cheers :)

Even if you have a clean CPU cooler, a clean CPU heatsink and a clean rear exhaust fan, they may still be too weak for the excessive heat dissipation of your CPU and video card(s). You may need to install a more powerful cooling solution, or move the complete system to a new system case that has more room and a better component arrangement.

I honestly have no idea how, but I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU, and the overheating issue suddenly become worse. Stressing FPU now shows CPU Throttling of 2% (which is apparently an indicator that my computer is overheating), and the CPU core temperatures increased to 70 degrees idle @_@

I honestly have no idea how, but I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU, and the overheating issue suddenly become worse. Stressing FPU now shows CPU Throttling of 2% (which is apparently an indicator that my computer is overheating), and the CPU core temperatures increased to 70 degrees idle @_@

70° at idle is too hot, you need to correct that immediately.

I presume you are using the stock cooler?

Are using an Intel CPU? Which one?

The Intel stock coolers are notorious for being difficult to properly install, and if even one of the pushpins does not properly latch, the cooler will not make complete contact with the CPU and cause loss of cooling.

Regarding the new paste; how much and how did you apply it? You did (I hope) thoroughly clean the old paste from the CPU and cooler base with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth (paper coffee filters work really well)?

If you are staying with air cooling your CPU, I would recommend upgrading to a high quality aftermarket cooler. Frostytech is a good place to check out coolers.