Question About CPU/Core Temperature Sensors

Ratzu

Hello, I'm new to tweaking and modifying computers, and I'm planning to overclock my 2.00GHz Dual Core Intel CPU. So I installed the trial version of AIDA64 to find out what temperature my CPU is running at, and found out that there are three sensors for the CPU. The temperature/description for these were:

• CPU: 44C
  • CPU#1 / Core #1: 62C
  • CPU#1 / Core #2: 62C

I read that CPU temperature should not exceed 60C, and I'm not sure if it is the CPU sensor that I should keep an eye on or if it's the cores, that already exceed 60C without even being overclocked.

Please clarify my doubt about this and if possible, advise me on how many MHz I could overclock without frying my processor, it runs at a stock voltage of 1.325. Thanks.

Hello, I'm new to tweaking and modifying computers, and I'm planning to overclock my 2.00GHz Dual Core Intel CPU. So I installed the trial version of AIDA64 to find out what temperature my CPU is running at, and found out that there are three sensors for the CPU. The temperature/description for these were:

• CPU: 44C
  • CPU#1 / Core #1: 62C
  • CPU#1 / Core #2: 62C

I read that CPU temperature should not exceed 60C, and I'm not sure if it is the CPU sensor that I should keep an eye on or if it's the cores, that already exceed 60C without even being overclocked.

Please clarify my doubt about this and if possible, advise me on how many MHz I could overclock without frying my processor, it runs at a stock voltage of 1.325. Thanks.

Which CPU is it?

What is your CPU cooler?

If the temperatures you posted are idle temperatures, you probably will need better CPU cooling in order to get any significant overclock.

Which CPU is it?

What is your CPU cooler?

If the temperatures you posted are idle temperatures, you probably will need better CPU cooling in order to get any significant overclock.

My CPU is an Intel Pentium E2180 2.00GHz

My cooler is the stock fan that came with it when I bought the computer.

Also, when my CPU is idle, the cores temps drop to 58C, and CPU to 40C.

On your system it's best to watch the "CPU" temperature, since the core temperatures may be off by 10-15 degrees Celsius due to incorrect TJMax value. If you intend to test the stability and thermal status of your overclocked system, then start AIDA64, go to main menu / Tools / System Stability Test, uncheck all tests except for FPU, and press the Start button. Then watch the bottom graph that shows the throttling status of your CPU. The throttling should stay at 0% all the time, even after several hours of stress testing. In case your CPU shows any throttling activity, then your CPU is overheating and throttles itself down to protect itself from physical damage. In case the System Stability Test displays an error message, or your computer turns off, or your computer restarts, or Windows throws a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death), then your system is not stable.