Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 - external fan connect

Grainger

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Grainger said:

My Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 has two PWM-connectors for external fans.

GPU Tweak II (Software from Asus) could read and display the fan speed of these external fans, is there a way to display this in AIDA (Sensor Panel) too?

GPU_Tweak_II.jpg

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA GPU Registers. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA SMBus Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Please also let us know the approx. RPM that the fans are spinning while you're creating those dumps.

Thanks,
Fiery

2 hours ago, Grainger said:

Here are the files.

GPU Tweak II shows only the external fan speed in percent and not the rpm.

While creating the dumps I set the fan speed manually to 100 percent.

Nvidia_GPU_Registers.txt

Nvidia_SMBus_Registers.txt

Thank you!  Please also set the first external fan to 33%, and the second external fan to 62%, and repeat the nVIDIA SMBus Dump, so we can check which registers changed.  If you have a bit more time to play around with those settings, please send us another nVIDIA SMBus Dump with the first external fan set to 17%, and the second external fan to 88%.

Hello Fiery,

there is no way to separately control the 1st and the 2nd external fan with Asus GPU Tweak II, even with the latest beta Version 1.8.3.5.

Both external fans have always the same fan speed.

But for the dumps I connected two external fans as requested, beginning with 26% (the lowest fan speed that Auto Calibration allows.

Nvidia_GPU_Registers_26.txt

Nvidia_GPU_Registers_33.txt

Nvidia_GPU_Registers_62.txt

Nvidia_GPU_Registers_88.txt

Nvidia_SMBus_Registers_26.txt

Nvidia_SMBus_Registers_33.txt

Nvidia_SMBus_Registers_62.txt

Nvidia_SMBus_Registers_88.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that external fan speed in percent is implemented in the latest beta.

And it is functioning. ;)

Great work.

But there is an (small) issue:

My Asus GTX 1080 is semi passive and I configured it so, that fans started at 55°C with 35%.

AIDA64 is reporting this fine, but with something like a kind of time lag. Sensor Display starts with 2-3% and than goes in steps from 2-3% until 35%.

That takes about 60 seconds. When the fans stopped it is the same, the display changes slowly until it reached 0%.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Grainger said:

I noticed that external fan speed in percent is implemented in the latest beta.

And it is functioning. ;)

Great work.

But there is an (small) issue:

My Asus GTX 1080 is semi passive and I configured it so, that fans started at 55°C with 35%.

AIDA64 is reporting this fine, but with something like a kind of time lag. Sensor Display starts with 2-3% and than goes in steps from 2-3% until 35%.

That takes about 60 seconds. When the fans stopped it is the same, the display changes slowly until it reached 0%.

I guess the video BIOS (or video driver) controls the fans in a way to make the duty cycle drops or increases smoother than on other video adapters.  We've experienced the same behavior on certain video adapters, albeit it wasn't that slow of a process to drop or increase the duty cycle.

• 3 months later...

My Asus ROG Strix-RTX2080-O8G-Gaming have the same 2 PWM fan connectors, they don't seem to show up in the newest AIDA 600.5107 Beta. 

Maybe they are slightly different on the 2080 series cards?

The asus monitor software is able to show both % speed and RPM values for both fans, but as on the 1080 you only able to set the fans at a joint % speed.

I've made some of the same dumps as Grainger made on his 1080, maybe they would help?

nvidiagpureg.txt

nvidiagpureg_26.txt

nvidiagpureg_33.txt

nvidiagpureg_62.txt

nvidiagpureg_88.txt

nvidiasmbusdump.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_26.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_33.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_62.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_88.txt

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, LimDul said:

My Asus ROG Strix-RTX2080-O8G-Gaming have the same 2 PWM fan connectors, they don't seem to show up in the newest AIDA 600.5107 Beta. 

Maybe they are slightly different on the 2080 series cards?

The asus monitor software is able to show both % speed and RPM values for both fans, but as on the 1080 you only able to set the fans at a joint % speed.

I've made some of the same dumps as Grainger made on his 1080, maybe they would help?

nvidiagpureg.txt

nvidiagpureg_26.txt

nvidiagpureg_33.txt

nvidiagpureg_62.txt

nvidiagpureg_88.txt

nvidiasmbusdump.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_26.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_33.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_62.txt

nvidiasmbusdump_88.txt

Can you please post a screenshot of Asus GPU Tweak II, showing how you can control and monitor the fans?  I'm asking for that because even though both Asus Strix-RTX2080 and Asus Strix-GTX1080 seem to have the same sensor chip, somehow they seem to have a different registers layout :(  So we're not sure how to handle them both properly.

• 2 months later...

Sorry Fiery, I missed your reply

I'll add a few pictures here.

Asus GPU tweak 2 need to be switched to advanced mode first.

First are some pictures from the control part. Then a picture of the monitor part, where RPM or % can be viewed.

There are 2 fan connectors, both controlled by the same fan curve in setting, but they have separate readouts in the monitor part.

Annotation 2019-10-16 163554.png

Annotation 2019-10-16 163711.png

Annotation 2019-10-16 164207.png