SMART and Storage Spaces (Windows 10)

gbohn

Hi;

I was just trying out MS 'Storage Spaces' on WIndows 10 (1803). I noticed that after I set up a new pool (as logical Drive E:) that the drive in the pool no longer shows its S.M.A.R.T. data in AIDA64 (it's no longer listed in  'Storage/Smart').

Is this expected?

Currently, there is only this one drive in the ('simple') pool, a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB drive. It showed up in AIDA64 SMART before I put it in a (the only) Storage Spaces pool.

I can see still see an entry for the 850 Pro 512 GB drive under

'Storage/Windows Storage',

'Storage/Physical drives'

and

'Storage/ASPI'

There does not appear to be an entry for the physical drive itself under

'Storage/Logical drives' (Just the pool space as E:),

or

'Storage/ATA'  (Just the pool space as E:),

This is with AIDA64 Extreme 5.99.4900.

Just for fun I ran  HWINFO, and it seems to be able to show the SMART data for the physical drive even thought it is part of a 'Storage Spaces' pool.

It would be nice if I could still see the SMART data for drives in a Storage Spaces pool (with AIDA64).

Thanks;

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, gbohn said:

Hi;

I was just trying out MS 'Storage Spaces' on WIndows 10 (1803). I noticed that after I set up a new pool (as logical Drive E:) that the drive in the pool no longer shows its S.M.A.R.T. data in AIDA64 (it's no longer listed in  'Storage/Smart').

Is this expected?

It's normal if the drive disappears from the list of ATA drives as it is managed by Windows.  You can try enabling the two RAID related options in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability and restart AIDA64.  Let me know if it fixes the issue.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for necroposting, but I've got similar issue: I upgraded my 2x2T drives to 2x6T drives (WD Gold WD6003FRYZ), switched from 2x Dynamic drives in mirror to Storage Space, and new drives don't show up in SMART or Sensors (temperature), but do show up in Physical drives. I have both of "general" RAID options enabled.

This is the case as well for a different utility I tried.

Running Windows 10 2004 with latest updates.