Faulty temperatures making pc shut down - Dell XPS 8500

Ronald Alberto Avella

The CPU temperature is incorrect. The core temperatures are OK, the values are identical with CoreTemp and Speedfan results, but the CPU and motherboard temperature are incorrect. While the cores are about 40 ish degrees C each, the CPU temperature reads 128 degrees C.

When I stress the CPU, the core temps rise to about 70c but the CPU and MOBO temp stays fixed at 128 degrees. Also after 5 or 10 mins of stress or playing games(pugb fornite) pc shuts down and shows no display when i turn it back on. Then i took out the mobo battery and put it back in, that way display comes back.

At first I thought that CPU shows the sum of the 4 core temps, but definitely this is not the case.

My CPU is an Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor. The M/B info is attached. I'm running AIDA64 Extreme v6.20.5300 on Windows 10 Pro x64.

also attached is ISA SENSOR DUMP and SENSOR PAGE REPORT.

HELP PLEASE :)

MOBO.txt isasensordump.txt Report sensor.txt

7 hours ago, Ronald Alberto Avella said:

The CPU temperature is incorrect. The core temperatures are OK, the values are identical with CoreTemp and Speedfan results, but the CPU and motherboard temperature are incorrect. While the cores are about 40 ish degrees C each, the CPU temperature reads 128 degrees C.

When I stress the CPU, the core temps rise to about 70c but the CPU and MOBO temp stays fixed at 128 degrees. Also after 5 or 10 mins of stress or playing games(pugb fornite) pc shuts down and shows no display when i turn it back on. Then i took out the mobo battery and put it back in, that way display comes back.

At first I thought that CPU shows the sum of the 4 core temps, but definitely this is not the case.

My CPU is an Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor. The M/B info is attached. I'm running AIDA64 Extreme v6.20.5300 on Windows 10 Pro x64.

also attached is ISA SENSOR DUMP and SENSOR PAGE REPORT.

HELP PLEASE :)

MOBO.txt 31.33 kB · 0 downloads isasensordump.txt 6.71 kB · 0 downloads Report sensor.txt 31.25 kB · 0 downloads

It seems that none of thermal sensors that the onboard IT8772 sensor chip has to offer are connected.  So you can ignore both the CPU and Motherboard temperatures.  The rest of the CPU related temperatures are still valid.

Yes, i also thought that. But could this be making my pc to shutdown?? maybe thinking its hotter that what it actually is? could i install some software that makes the IT8772 reconnect or something?

also i´ve notice that in Device Manager  theres a  "Thermal control device" as unplugged. could this be causing an error?

What is making my pc shut down while rendering or playing games? any clue? 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, Ronald Alberto Avella said:

Yes, i also thought that. But could this be making my pc to shutdown?? maybe thinking its hotter that what it actually is? could i install some software that makes the IT8772 reconnect or something?

also i´ve notice that in Device Manager  theres a  "Thermal control device" as unplugged. could this be causing an error?

What is making my pc shut down while rendering or playing games? any clue? 

Thanks!

No, your computer doesn't shut down because of the unconnected thermal wires of the IT8772 sensor chip.  AFAIK there's no way to fix the thermal readings, but they also aren't supposed to cause any issues.  If you need further clarification or explanation on the thermal readings or the onboard sensor chip, please try to ask Dell support about it.  Only Dell knows why not all the features the sensor chip has to offer are used by the motherboard implementation on XPS 8500.