fixed: AIDA64 won't open after gaming

Sora

Thanks for the helpful information Squall. I added the Commit Column in Task Manager, running right next to the Working Set Column for quicker reference. I saw that the Commit Size for 'Rift' AIDA64, and IAStorDataMgr (RST) were slightly higher at times than the Working Set while gaming, so no problem there. My System RAM never got past 55% utilized, and checked in AIDA64 under 'Motherboard then 'Memory' for the paging file, virtual memory and swap space sections, all looked good and okay there. Something to add that I've noticed when gaming, is when I ALT-TAB out of game, then click on any program running in the Notification Area, it seems like the Desktop graphics are working hard, because my icons on desktop all flash then reappear a second later. I have no problem though opening my other programs in Notification Area, just AIDA64 will open then do what I've described in recent posts here.

One other interesting thing I've noticed is ever since this new problem has started happening, in Event Viewer, I don't see the 'Application Experience' service show up in the Event Viewer System logs at times as it usually does while AIDA64 is running. I used to see this service show up when running AIDA64 while gaming, but it doesn't show up anymore while gaming ever since the problem starting happening, which was about 2 weeks ago. Just thought this might be a clue as to what could be causing this.

I wish this could be fixed somehow. I know you guys have suggested several suggestions that I've tried with no change, I just miss using AIDA64. Programs and applications open up sluggishly with the newer AIDA builds, but with the older builds, programs were snappier at opening and everything was fine. I just wish we could figure out what this problem is, what driver issue or conflict it could be. I'm going to use build 2.30.1947 and give that build a try, see what comes of it. If there is the same sluggishness later in the evening after gaming and it's unable to open from the Notification Area, then it's most likely related to the RTS driver or some other program collision like you've suggested Fiery. I even tried not using EVGA Precision the other night, and that wasn't the problem, still having the issues in AIDA with Precison disabled.

Hey Squall, I just got done gaming in Rift with the 2.30.1947 AIDA64 build, and alt-tabbed out and opening Event Viewer is real sluggish, and tried opening AIDA64 again a couple of times, then on 3rd time, it fails to open. When I double click the icon in Notification Area, I look over to the lower left of my screen and part of the AIDA64 icon shows up there.

The Paged pools in Task Manager under the Performance Tab are, for Paged: 213 Mbytes and the Nonpaged is at 130Mbytes, so not a problem there. I was using 70% of System Memory at max while gaming according to AIDA64 using the Sidebar Gadget.

In the Task Manager under the 'Processes' tab, AIDA64 has shown a higher Commit Size than Working Set all day, Commit Size being 46,880K and the Working Set at 28,328K currently. Something is making AIDA64 act this way as of late, it's weird.

Good info to know, thanks Squall. It's unusual because I can open up the other programs running in the Notification Area just fine. When I close out AIDA64 via the Task Manager by ending the AIDA process and start AIDA64 again, the sluggisness in the Event Viewer is gone, all the logs are snappy when clicked on to open, and AIDA64 opens quick too.

The sluggisness seems to occur progressively over time while AIDA64 is open and a running process. By the end of the night, while alt-tabbing out of game, the desktop graphics (icons) disappear for a second and then reappear, the sluggishness I was referring to. I close AIDA64 out, open new instance of it, and all is fine again. This problem is only happening when AIDA64 is running, it's strange.

Sora, I'm having similar issues as you in that AIDA64 v2.50.2000 is getting stuck in the Taskbar Notification Area.

http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?/topic/868-please-help-aida64-get-stuck-in-taskbar-notification-area/

Mine happens over night when system is on but not being used with Lock screen, so i do not know if it causes any sluggishness, so i think I have an update or audit or something that happens that causes this for me. Its not the BACKUP, i disabled that, SSDs dont sleep, only apps running are Speedfan and LCD Studio to control my fan speeds and display info on my LCD.

Ofcourse my problems may not be related to yours, but they share the same symptoms...

Rob

Roblion, so good to know it's not just me, whew! I have the same settings set you do under "My Specs'. Same OS as well. I'll go to open AIDA64 in the Notification Area after gaming awhile, and I open it and it's sluggish and then I close it a couple of times, then it gets stuck, unable to open either from right or left clicking. Sometimes I will see half of the AIDA64 icon on the far lower left of my screen near task bar, but it's like it's not really there, disappearing when trying to right or left click AIDA64 again or mousing over that phantom image of AIDA.

I haven't tried enabling the SMBus access through ACPI before, but have alternated enabling and disabling the SMART operations, Raid member enumeration, Raid SMART support, nvidia GPU SMBus access through Nvidia Forceware, to no avail of fixing this issue.

yep.... double click it for me and something shows up under the START icon for a few seconds and disappears.. process is running..... desktop gadget is updating... but no open AIDA64.....

because my issue only happens at night... i can only try one change per day and i have to wait until the next morning to see if it fixes the problem.... been trying now for 2 weeks!!!!

its definitely not a memory issue for me, i've got 16gb and the max utilized never goes above 30%.

Nothing appears in the events logs to indicate a problem either.

tonight i may leave AIDA64 open on desktop rather than minimised to task bar notification area to see if that helps me.....

• Like 1

Roblion, you described 'exactly' what' AIDA64 is doing for me as well! Nothing in the event viewer to show any errors with this. I have plenty of memory as well, 6 Gigs and maxed at 70% while gaming. No memory paging issues. I'll give that a try, while gaming, leaving AIDA64 open on the desktop to see if this issue occurs.

I get the sluggisness after gaming awhile when opening Event Viewer, for example, in addition to what you've described as well. I'm glad you are experiencing the same problem I am Roblion, so it could hopefully be fixed. Thanks guys for your help on this too. :)

Squall, I usually have the 'Sensor' page open when AIDA64 is minimized.

Squall, I minimize on the normal page that shows all the icons like Computer, Motherboard, Operating System etc...with no AIDA64 pages open.

Only thing running in AIDA64 is the publishing of sensor reading to shared memory for external applications to use (I have a 240x64 LCD Screen to display temps / fan speeds etc) and also the desktop gadget showing the same info.

The only thing i think we may have in common Sora, is that when our systems get really busy, like 100% cpu for a while, is that AIDA64 has a problem reading or writing sensor information, it gets confused and hangs in some way.

Im not sure what event will cause my pc to run at 100% at night when unattended, maybe backup or an audit process, or a system update, but for me it is everynight without fail.....

Rob

Rob

I have the Shared memory items all checked and enabled too, but don't have any other program running consistenly that would utilize the memory. EVGA Precision is the only program I have running with AIDA64, but have always run that side by side with AIDA64 without problems. To check if it was a conflict with Precision, I recently ran AIDA64 without EVGA Precision running, with the same issues. I haven't tried unchecking all the 'shared memory' items in AIDA64, and thought of that optiion to try.

Yes, I use the Desktop Gadget, and even tried unchecking the 'Use HKLM in Registry' box, that didn't fix the issues.

use HKLM just affects where the settings are written to, if the shared memory or gadget stuff was at fault it wouldn't affect it.

try running without shared memory and without the desktop gadget.

actually, i have a feeling its specifically Shared Memory causing the problem due to a mismanaged constants buffer

Okay will try running AIDA64 with 'Shared memory' unchecked while gaming and see how that works tonight and check on the sluggishness later on as well as the icon appearing near the Start button as a result of clicking on the icon in Notification area, and the AIDA64 not opening as roblion and I have experienced. Thanks Squall.

I just gone done gaming and after ALT+Tabbing out of game several times while playing, I opened Event Viewer and clicked on the logs, with no sluggishness! Also, am able to click on the AIDA64 icon in Notification Area many times without a problem of not opening. It appears that disabling 'Shared Memory' fixed this issue for me. I'm not 100% convinced yet, but 98% sure this problem is solved. I'll be more sure after gaming tomorrow night.

Roblion, try disabling the 'Shared memory' in AIDA64, see if that fixes it for you.

Since Roblion and I didn't have this issue up till about 2 weeks ago, do you guys think it's a bug in AIDA with having 'Shared memory' enabled and it being a mismanaged constant buffer as you've suggested Squall?

Yep same for me Sora, disabled external data shared memory and no lock up this morning!

And you were right about Event Viewer too.... was sluggish redrawing screen etc when AiDA64 had hung, but all ok now....

I can live without shared memory, i used to so that my fan controller and LCD screen could read and use it, but i'll do it another way now.....

Good luck Sora.....

• Like 1

I just gone done gaming and after ALT+Tabbing out of game several times while playing, I opened Event Viewer and clicked on the logs, with no sluggishness! Also, am able to click on the AIDA64 icon in Notification Area many times without a problem of not opening. It appears that disabling 'Shared Memory' fixed this issue for me. I'm not 100% convinced yet, but 98% sure this problem is solved. I'll be more sure after gaming tomorrow night.

Roblion, try disabling the 'Shared memory' in AIDA64, see if that fixes it for you.

Since Roblion and I didn't have this issue up till about 2 weeks ago, do you guys think it's a bug in AIDA with having 'Shared memory' enabled and it being a mismanaged constant buffer as you've suggested Squall?

That's a great catch! We're already doing test runs with Shared Memory enabled to see if we could reproduce the issue on our test systems. Meanwhile, can you please check what happens if you enable Shared Memory, but only have the CPU temperature enabled from the list of Ext.Applications items -- and no other items enabled.

Second test run: have every items enabled there, disable Shared Memory, but enable Registry exporting.

Those test runs may confirm whether one of the items cause a memory or handle leak, or whether the Shared Memory feature is generally at fault.

Yep same for me Sora, disabled external data shared memory and no lock up this morning!

And you were right about Event Viewer too.... was sluggish redrawing screen etc when AiDA64 had hung, but all ok now....

I can live without shared memory, i used to so that my fan controller and LCD screen could read and use it, but i'll do it another way now.....

Good luck Sora.....

Roblion, I'm glad you noticed the sluggishishness of screen redrawing as well and that I wasn't the only one.

Good luck to you too. :D

That's a great catch! We're already doing test runs with Shared Memory enabled to see if we could reproduce the issue on our test systems. Meanwhile, can you please check what happens if you enable Shared Memory, but only have the CPU temperature enabled from the list of Ext.Applications items -- and no other items enabled.

Second test run: have every items enabled there, disable Shared Memory, but enable Registry exporting.

Those test runs may confirm whether one of the items cause a memory or handle leak, or whether the Shared Memory feature is generally at fault.

I'm glad to have caught it too, thanks to Squall Leonhart!

Okay, will do Fiery. Tonight while gaming I'll utitize the first suggestion you gave, selecting only the CPU Temperature, and tomorrow or later tonight will try the second suggestion.

Question on 'registry exporting'. Is that the listing called 'Enable writing sensor values to the Registry' in the 'External Applications' section?

I believe its a handle leak, memory use doesn't suddenly balloon and GDI count isn't excessive either.